Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Hello Walter,

It made my day reading your story. I am so pleased for you. Looks like I may need to travel further north to Queensland to find a lapband surgeon, as there is no-one who does this type of surgery near my country town in NSW. Thank you for giving me the confidence to know that I am not too old at 62 to be banded.

I wish you all the best for your future, and pray I am lucky enough to find a surgeon soon, so I also can lose weight and live a healthier life.

I don't get why some people are saying they can't find this thread. Is it hiding in the wrong section of the board?

Hey Guys and Gals

Sallyjo here from East Texas. Age 63.5. Yes you all can do it. I was barely 62 when I had my surgery and lost it in what I thought was pretty good time. I am about 8 lbs from goal and am very happy where I am.

But wait a mainute!!!!. I love my size ten jeans and the way I look in them also.lol. Thats because I have'nt seen a size ten in I can't remember when. The best of luck to all of you and Gayle I am so proud of you. When are you gonna post us a before and now pic.;)

I haven't been losing very quickly. The doctor told me I wouldn't lose as fast as the younger people. I get a little discouraged about it, but I know any

weight I lose is a step in the right direction.

Sallyjo, that is so great that you are so close to goal. I don't even have a goal weight. I think when I lose a bunch more, I will be happy though!

Hello All,

First fill today...3cc. and I could feel the restriction immediately. They wanted to see Water go down. A mini gulp felt different..went down slowly..a little scarey. The bad part is back on liquids for two days. That stinks after enjoying real foods for a brief while. On Saturday, I'll try real food(soft) with company coming. I'll put food on my plate and fake eating my usual amount( normally huge).

I hope I wont get into trouble with my new "filled" state.

The good news is I've only 100 pounds to go(lol).

Walter

Hi everyone! How nice to run into this group. I am 62 and just waiting on my Ins company to approve. I am so ready for the band! My goal is to be able to bend over and tie my shoes without feeling like I am going to pass out!:faint:And I am hoping that when I get down to a normal weight that I won't be so darned hot all the time!

Hi to everyone.

I'm a 60 year-old semi-retired guy. At 5'8", 276 lbs, I'm 100 lbs over weight ((BMI 40), and simply cannot stop with one piece of KFC (if you know what i mean). I love greasy food, and cannot avoid it. Carbs are like heaven too, especially with butter. Anyway, I don't want to die, so I had my lap-band installed this morning. I wish they had drugged me like the good old days, when you were so high, you floated into the OR. But no, they left me stone-cold sober, so I was very apprehensivie as they put me out for the surgery. (Whats the deal on that?!) :cry

Almost 12 hours later now, and I have a lot of discomfort still. But I can see why we lose 25 lbs the first month (assuming we stick to liquids), because I'm not using very many calories).

I'll post more personal info when I'm up to it. I'll just say thanks to all those who have posted their experiences to this time. I have to admit, that when i got home this morning, I thought I may have made a mistake doing this. I hope to feel better, all the way around tomorrow morning.

greg

I don't get why some people are saying they can't find this thread. Is it hiding in the wrong section of the board?

I don't know Denise. I did a search quite a few times over several days before I finally found the right thread today.

Hello, all! I am enjoying reading all of your posts. I will be 64 in Nov and was banded July 20. I was supposed to have my first fill today, but much to my disappointment, my dr's office cancelled my appointment stating they are changing their procedures and doing fills only on Mondays and only under fluoroscopy. When they called me back today it was to give me an appointment date of Sept. 24!! I will be out of state visiting family then. The message stated that if that date didn't work for me the next available was Oct. 8!! I am really upset because that will be 2 1/2 mos after my surgery with no fill!! Also, we leave for the winter around Nov. 1st so that leaves very little window for additional fills if necessary.

Sorry!! I need to stop whining and complaining. I just want to get on with this! I have very little restriction with no fill. I'm hungry, i can't lose any weight.

I can so much relate to all of you.. the joint problems, high blood pressure, etc. No diabetes.... yet. I can't walk long distances. I use a handicap scooter around the neighborhood and when we go shopping, etc. And, yes, my DH does EVERYTHING... cooking, cleaning, etc. I sometimes do the laundry and he helps with the lifting. But I'm ready to get back to living!

I got the nickname, Auntie Phyl, from some gals on one of the other threads.... they're all younger!

Hello, all! I am enjoying reading all of your posts. When they called me back today it was to give me an appointment date of Sept. 24!! I will be out of state visiting family then. The message stated that if that date didn't work for me the next available was Oct. 8!! I am really upset because that will be 2 1/2 mos after my surgery with no fill!! Also, we leave for the winter around Nov. 1st so that leaves very little window for additional fills if necessary.

I got the nickname, Auntie Phyl, from some gals on one of the other threads.... they're all younger!

Aunite Phyl, ,that's such a cute name. Can you call your doctor and see if they have a cancellation list? Maybe someone will cancel. Or is there a possibility of going to another doctor for a fill?

I know how disappointing that is. When I was supposed to have my first one, the dr. canceled because he had to go out of town. It's so hard to get the right fill too. I have had four now, and still don't feel like I am at the right amount.

I hope you can get yours as soon as possible!

It's nice to see our little group growing!!:nervous

Hello all, It sure is good to meet everyone.. I will be going in for surgery on October 16th in Denver to Dr Kirshenbaum... It is still a month away but I am already getting anxious and can hardly wait... I want this surgery so bad and have just a little over 100 lbs to lose. In just 3 short weeks I will be starting my pre-op diet and will be doing that while my DH and I travel from northern California to Colorado. We are originally from Grand Junction, Colorado and have been spending the summer in our motorhome here close to San Francisco...

I have been fighting that last supper mentality lately and have been trying to get in all of my favorite foods, like meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, etc... I am acting as though I will never be able to eat them again... It is crazy the way my mind is acting about food... :hungry:

I will be about one and a half months post surgery at Thanksgiving and am worried about what I will be able to eat... Is anyone else stressing out about this or is it just me?? :help:

Sallyjo.... Congratulations on being so close to your goal in just a short 18 months.... I bet it feels so good to wear a size 10 jeans.... You deserve it dahhling... :Banane45:

Foxygramma.... Sorry to hear that the weight is taking so long to leave you... Sometimes it just takes a little longer for some of us "oldies".. Are you able to get in any exercise? That may help the pounds come off a little faster... Keep the faith and all will work out in the end...

Phyllser.... That's awful that you are having such a hard time getting your first fill... I agree with Foxygramma that I would check with my Dr to see if you can get on the cancellation list or try another Dr... Also you might want to check out Fill Centers USA to see if they have a place close to you to get a fill....

My DH does just about everything for me too except the laundry.. I am too particular about it to let him do it... He is happy to let me do it anyway.. I don't get any fight out of him... :star: I can't walk far either so we just try to take short trips so I can walk on my own. Thank God for Crocs shoes or I would have to get a scooter too.. I also have COPD/emphysema and that makes it hard to do anything especially fast walking or stairs without running out of breath...

Where do you and DH go in the winter? My DH and I live full time and travel in our motorhome. We have spent the summer here in northern California and will leave the 1st of October for Colorado for surgery and then travel to Arizona for the winter... :)

Walter.... Congratulations on your first fill... Hope it works out good for you.. Just be careful on Saturday when company is there that you take small bites and chew, chew, chew cause I'm sure you don't want to PB while your company is there... If I remember right, you are the oldest on here and I really look up to you for wanting to be healthy for years to come.... You are an inspiration to all of us.... If you get a chance it would be fun if you would post some before and after pictures.....

gmccon.... Greg... Congratulations on getting banded... It is great that you felt like posting so soon after your surgery... It sounds like you are doing good and are on your way to a speedy recovery.... Be sure to walk as much as you can to get rid of the gas... Good luck on the liquid diet, it will soon be over and you will be back to eating regular food, just not as much..... I can relate with you on the high carb and greasy foods, I can't eat just one...lol... But that is what got us overweight in the first place, so I guess we will have to retrain our way of eating and thinking of food... Please keep us posted on your progress....

aussieladie.... Welcome and Good Luck to you on your journey to a healthier life....

suecasb.... Good luck for a quick insurance approval and the start of your lapband journey... My DH has to help me put my shoes and socks on because I can't bend over nor are my arms long enough to do it myself... :D My belly is so big and it bothers me too much to bend over.. I also get hot and when it is hot outside my feet and ankles swell up so much that I can hardly walk... On top of that I am still having hot flashes... :wacko:

Wishes to you all for a nice weekend....

[quote name='nicnaknut;559400 :hungry:I will be about one and a half months post surgery at Thanksgiving and am worried about what I will be able to eat... Is anyone else stressing out about this or is it just me?? :help:

Yes' date=' I've thought about it and decided I will be happy with a taste of everything! We will be spending that weekend with friends in SO CA and I am looking forward to that![/b']

Phyllser.... That's awful that you are having such a hard time getting your first fill... I agree with Foxygramma that I would check with my Dr to see if you can get on the cancellation list or try another Dr... Also you might want to check out Fill Centers USA to see if they have a place close to you to get a fill....

When I called back this morning, after shedding a few tears, the gal said she would make one more attempt and call me back.. She was able to get me in on MONDAY!!

:whoo:

Where do you and DH go in the winter? My DH and I live full time and travel in our motorhome. We have spent the summer here in northern California and will leave the 1st of October for Colorado for surgery and then travel to Arizona for the winter... :wacko:

We go to Desert Hot Springs, near Palm Springs, to a place called Sky Valley. We LOVE it there!! Where in Arizona do you go??

Phyllser.... We will be in a couple of places in Arizona this winter.. We will first go to Yuma and be there a month so my DH can get some dental work done in Mexico, then from there we will go to Tucson for about 3 months.. Last winter we spent in Florida...We have really enjoyed being here in northern California and we may come back next summer.. We have heard that Palm Springs is a good place to winter and my son lives in Simi Valley so we thought about going there to be closer to him and the grandkids.. We may do that next year...

Phyllser.... We will be in a couple of places in Arizona this winter.. We will first go to Yuma and be there a month so my DH can get some dental work done in Mexico, then from there we will go to Tucson for about 3 months.. Last winter we spent in Florida...We have really enjoyed being here in northern California and we may come back next summer.. We have heard that Palm Springs is a good place to winter and my son lives in Simi Valley so we thought about going there to be closer to him and the grandkids.. We may do that next year...

Yuma.. we spent a couple of days there two winters ago. Love going to Mexico. We both got new glasses.

Will you be going to Quatzsite?? Always have to spend a day there!!

SallyJo,

I can't even imagine being a size 10. I've never been there unless you count children's sizes. lol I was a size 18 when I graduated from HS. When I was a child the sales clerks would direct my mother and I to the "Chubby Department". I have always hated shopping for clothes, probably because of nightmares of that dreaded "CHUBBY DEPARTMENT". LOL

I will be banded on 09/20. I hope I will do as well as you but any sustained weight loss would improve my health and hopefull take away the pains in my hip and back when I walk too much.

How long did it take you to loose it?

Thank you for shareing your story. It's very encouraging to us "soon to be banded".

God bles,

Charlene

Hi,

Don't think I posted an update on this thread about my fill. When I called back yesterday I shed a few tears and got all emotional about how badly I need a fill before my trip to NY later this month. I was called back a little later and told they managed to fit me in for this Monday afternoon!! I am very happy about that!!