Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

geez, I can't type a lick when I'm hungry! I meant I cooked my 16 yr old son's favorite meal and also I am still on liquids for another week!!

Rumar

Liz, I think aches and pains in the abdomen and stomach are normal in the first few weeks. I've seen posts from lots of people complaining of stomach aches in the early days. What have you been eating or drinking? Are you following your doctor's instructions? If so, you are probably fine. I would call the doc if you have fever or are vomitting.

I am eating liquids/some full liquids. I've started on creamy Soup, drinkable yogurt, and Protein shakes. These are all okay per my docs instructions. The only thing I had that's a no no is some refried Beans today. I had those after my tummy was hurting so that can't be it. I also just drank a whole carnation instead Breakfast drink and feel absolutely STUFFED! I've just had a lot of aches and pains and sometime (like right now) have a hard time breathing. Is pain while breathing anything you have experienced?

I had my surgery on aug 24th and i to had pain while taking a deep breath but it went away probably my 8th or 9th day post op everyday it got better and now im almost 2 weeks out and feel much better hang in there!

I was banded on Aug 27th. I was doing so good. Yesterday I started the nausea again and even threw up. I feel the same today. Did anyone else have this? My Dr keeps saying wait the 2 weeks you will feel better. I feel like I have made a mistake.

Hi there, I am 3 weeks out from my surgery, which was August 16. I did Clear Liquids for 1 week and after a couple of days I felt hungry more, then I was so happy to move to mushies, I did eggs for my first meal, oh my gosh talk about feeling the food right in the throat region, but as time has progressed I have been able to eat more, I start out eating very slow, and then if I am tolerating what I am eating I will eat more until I feel content, I try not to feel stuffed before stopping, but since I have no restriction, I get hungry more frequently, so I will have to incorporate Snacks in between meals. I find that Low fat granola bars help alot, or yogurt with granola in it. Today is my first day on regular foods, I had tuna with fat free miracle whip and eggs and a few crackers, and it went down ok, but I had to keep stopping in between eating, because I was feeling the food in my throat, so I waited a few minutes and could eat some more. I can't wait until the 18th, because I will get my first fill. I hope it gives me good restriction, so I wont feel hungry so frequently. I definetly think that everyone getting the band should really stick to clear liquids for as long as the are supposed to, I know you will be starving, but it really helps you feel good, when you know you haven't cheated, and also a TIP:: sugar free HArd candies saved my life. When feeling hungry or deprived I would suck on a candy, or I would get the NIPS Sugar free coffee or caramel flavored hard candy, they are some what chewy, but it really satisfies. It will help you to appreciate each stage that you have to go through in this journey if you DO NOT CHEAT!!! You have to remember why you got this band in the first place. Make sure to keep healthy food in your house, because if you don't, you will be so hungry that you will just grab anything available, I have a lot of people living in my house right now and there is alot of bad food in my pantry and refrigerator, but I make sure that I have sugar free pudding ready and availabe to eat, low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. It encourages me to eat those foods instead. Well I guess I will shut up now, but I just wanted to share a little bit of my experiences. Have a great day

Hi, I can't remember your name, but the nausea is normal for me after anesthesia so they gave me fenergen (sp?) which is a medicine for nausea. I asked for it, and it was great because otherwise I would throw up constantly post-op. Now at a month post-op I'm doing great.

Hey im out exactely 1 month from my Surgery today and im down 55LBS!!

Congratz baby!!! :clap2: You're doing great!!! I'm so proud of you and you keep me motivated!!!!!

I am having the same thoughts and feelings you are. I was eight days past surgery {8/10/07} and I was hungry----I called my Drs. office. They said that happens to some people----lucky me. I could eat. be carefull though. Today it is 9/6/07 since I started eating I have not lost any weight ----I have lost inches though. My first fill is scheduled for Sept 24th. My doctor makes you wait 6 weeks for first fill. iT IS A real struggle here there is nothing I can not eat-----what an internal war. Janice

I am 4 weeks out, and had a concern over a discharge from my port incision. I made an appt. to have someone look at the incision. The doc checked the incision, and said it looked like I had an accumulation of Fluid under the incision, but didn't appear infected. She took a specimen for a culture to be on the safe side.

The good news is that I lost 7 pounds in the last 2 weeks. That brings me up to 29 pounds since banding Aug. 7, and 54 pounds since starting the pre-op diet May 10th.

She then asked how I was doing with my eating, and I said that I was in bandster hell. I said that I was working hard to control my protions, and hungry very soon after meals. She said well in that case she would hook me up with a quick first fill. I was scheduled for Sept. 18. So I am on liquids for a couple of days and hoping I will have some restriction. Well I hope I will continue to have success.

Jim

I am hungry ....alot. Just trying to fight it off the best I can! I will start swimming again next week. So, the next 20 should fall off quickly ,plus, I get a fill in two and a half weeks!

I am so excited! For the first time in years, I can see myself at 130! I hope this is the first good sign. lol

Hello everyone!

I'm 16 days post op and I'm on pureed foods this week. One thing that I absolutely love for a meal is my version of chicken cacciatore.

-2oz. chicken strips, chopped

-about 1-2oz chopped onion

-1/2 to 3/4 cup of the Campbell's Select Gold Box of Tomato with basil and garlic

-puree in a processor, pour into a mug, and heat til hot.

Even without adding any spices it tastes just like Chicken Cacciatore.

Aside from that I'm back to actually going to the gym. About 30 minutes on the treadmill to start for now. A group of us are even walking for 30 minutes after lunch. :faint:Surprisingly, I'm still not hungry. Not that I'm complaining. Now if I could just see the scale start to move down again. Trying to be patient but, we all know we'd like it gone overnight.

My port incision and one incision toward that top is still a little sore but, they seem to be healing nicely.

Next week soft foods (Real food). :whoo::whoo::whoo:

Hi guys:

I was banded on august 13. I've been on liquids for the most part but yesterday my friend made me some slamming Soup and it had baby carrots, celery, cilantro, tomatoes for color and some chicken broth and dark meat chicken.< /p>

I have to admit I had a piece of that chicken. and today I had a hand full of raisinettes. I am not finding myself hungry but being that the past two days I am picking at stuff (including guacomole, yesterday as well), I am a bit depressed today. My band is not filled. I have not made an appointment but I will on Monday when I go to NYU for my esoph exam.

I sort of feel scared and i sort of feel like I am going to fail at this since I have been picking. No excuses. I just tested the waters and I feel bad about it. I didn't go over board but a hand full of raisins here, some chicken there..... you know what I mean?

How are you guys doing? Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Had mine done August 22, within the week I could it practically anything I wanted, though in very small quantities. It was two weeks on tuesday, haven't lost or gained any weight! Is this supposed to happen? cannot have a refill before six weeks after surgery!

Hi Miss Nilsa,

I too was banded at NYU but by Dr. Kurian. I was banded on Aug. 10th. I have lost 19 lbs since my consult and 10 lbs since surgery date. I am still on mushies until wednesday. I feel a lot of restrication......breakfast is an egg, lunch is 3 oz. of tuna and dinner is a mushed up meatball........love that! I find that to be plenty. Tongiht I did treat myself to a 1/2 cup of ice cream....Dont get me wrong, I need to spoil myself once a month at least!

So you dont feel full at all? Do you feel like you can eat normal? I am going for a fill next week so I will see how that goes.....

It is hard to get adjusted too......The thing I have most difficulty is not being able to drink when I eat and not to mention not being able to drink diet coke....

I quit smoking about 2 weeks before my surgery and stopped drinking diet coke the night before my surgery. So basically, if I could have a diet coke and a cig right now, I would be very happy, but it is so hard because I need to never pick up a cigarette again and they say diet coke or carbonation is really bad for you. I dont know where to channel my emotions because it cant be with food or tobacco..... Ughh....it is hard to get used to but I keep telling myself it is important to me to be healthy and happy with myself.

Good luck to you fellow NYU Bander!

I think there is a tiny bit of restriction for me but not what i think i should be feeling. I eat with caution though - because of nervousness and also how it feels going down now. I definitely feel a difference in how the food feels as i swallow. what about you guys?