Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

Hi everyone, first off I want to say good job!! I had my surgery on 8/2/07 the first two weeks I was on a liquid diet then 3rd week on soft foods, after that it was back to normal foods.. I just had my first fill of 2.8cc's yesterday, I was so scared to get the fill.. but it was nothing!

I am happy to report that I am down 18 lbs!! My doc says that I should really see some weight loss now.. I can't wait:whoo:

Just wanted to let all of you know, the first few weeks are the hardest.. but you can do it!!! I am so proud of all of you, you have taken the first (and hardest) step to a new healthy life:clap2::clap2::clap2:

banded 8/2/07

246/228/150

Dr. Carson Liu

1st fill: 2.8 cc

Hi everyone, first off I want to say good job!! I had my surgery on 8/2/07 the first two weeks I was on a liquid diet then 3rd week on soft foods, after that it was back to normal foods.. I just had my first fill of 2.8cc's yesterday, I was so scared to get the fill.. but it was nothing!

I am happy to report that I am down 18 lbs!! My doc says that I should really see some weight loss now.. I can't wait:whoo:

Just wanted to let all of you know, the first few weeks are the hardest.. but you can do it!!! I am so proud of all of you, you have taken the first (and hardest) step to a new healthy life:clap2::clap2::clap2:

banded 8/2/07

246/228/150

Dr. Carson Liu

1st fill: 2.8 cc

Hi:

That's great. I feel the same worry about the fill. I am a chicken about pain - but i guess having the surgery is really the part that I should have been worried about.

18 lbs! awesome. I am down about 13 lbs but that weight loss started since the week before surgery when I was on liquids. The weight is coming off very slowly but then again, I have no restriction and I am kind of on my own (like a regular diet). I have not done so bad but the pounds are not coming off that quickly either. I will be patient because as the doctor told you -- the fills are all the difference.

/nilsa

i'm so glad the gas thing is under control. I do hear my stomach growling but it isn't as bad as some have described it. At least not yet. Maybe after my first fill!

Best of luck to everyone. Keep in touch people!

Picklebritches, I have a GINORMOUS liver, too!!! My surgeon worked on me for two hours instead of the usual 1/2 hour!

I was banded on the 14th and STILL haven't gotten the go ahead to move to mushies. Wah!!! I think if I'm eating baby food consistency I have every right to whine like a baby, right??

I too was banded in Richardson, TX by Dr. Felts on 8/28. I am very impressed by the staff both at the surgery center and at the doc's office. They are so helpful. Anyway, I am coming along slowly but surely. I too have the burping...sometimes like a little bomb going off:phanvan. I have to try the Gas-X. Hoping that the 'referred' pain in my shoulder goes away soon. It is really a bummer. :cry I am especially happy to hear all the great 'receipes' that everyone has for the 'mushy stage' of this journey. Never thought I would be looking so forward to mashed or pureed anything but I am. I just want something that isn't sweet. I did well on the pre-op and I'm looking forward to going in for my post-op visit in a month.:)

i know the shoulder pain was bad but word of encouragment:clap2:it gets better. i have gone back to work and my shoulder has stoped and actually burping. i am in mushy stage and have first fil on 9-18-07 am nervous about that. overall hasn't been as bad as expected:D. stomach growling has gotten louder:embarassed: hoping no one hears at work,but am glad i did it. felling better physically too. wish you well. maybe we'll meet sometime if go to support meeting in richardson. keep in touch like knowing someone else same clinic:)

Hi all, well its been 13 days now since my surgery and I have moved myself onto mushies! I have never ever been a Soup person, so I just couldnt handle it anymore. I find that I am craving meat soooooo bad but have no idea how to have any?? sugestions anyone??? also, for you that have been banded longer, is your appitite fully back? I find that I am eating well, not huge amounts but Breakfast is scrambled eggs, lunch is 15g tuna and cottage cheese and dinner is fish and veggies, is that rite? Any help you can give PLEASE.. Thanks

Banded on Aug 7th living bandster hell right now. Everything goes down so easy, not much in the way of restriction now, can't wait until fill on Sept. 18. I am trying to stick to Proteins and away from carbs, but it is hard when it all goes down easy. I don't want to lose too much ground, before first fill.

Jim

It looks like most of us are in the same boat now. Trying to make it on will power alone is so tough. I'm trying to brace myself for the difficulties that lie ahead. I just hope I can remain strong until I get a successful fill. The physical hunger and the head hunger are getting stronger every day. Anyone else feeling this way?

Banded on Aug 7th living bandster hell right now. Everything goes down so easy, not much in the way of restriction now, can't wait until fill on Sept. 18. I am trying to stick to Proteins and away from carbs, but it is hard when it all goes down easy. I don't want to lose too much ground, before first fill.

Jim

Well you seem to be doing really well. I was banded 8/13 and I don't have any restriction either. However, I am loosing very very slowly rather than gaining which is good no matter what. I've lost 14 lbs total through this journey, which in my view isn't much really. don't worry, and enjoy yourself now - that's what my attending nurse told me the day of my post op appointment - he said that and I know he's right because honestly when you get your fill, it will be A WHOLE NEW CUP OF TEA, OR QUARTER CUP, i should say. :)

keep up the good work!

yeah we are in the same boat alright. However, we are all doing well, it looks like. This has made us stronger for the most part and we are still healing.

I am having Veggies (softones) sauteed in olive oil and garlic (salt and pepper also) and they are so good, right out of the bag and seasoned nicely.

I have to make it on will power until the first fill also.

We can all do it. I woke up this morning 1 lb lighter which really surprised me because i'm not exactly on a diet right now.:rain:

Read in my Journal(it is under ClaraMae's journal). I have had a meltdown and I do not have the strength to retype it. Any advise will be appreciated.

Clara, I read your "meltdown" post. I am really sorry to hear about the rough start you've had. You definately have had more of a challenge than most of us right off the bat. I'm glad you are home now and hopefully getting stronger everyday. Try to put all that bad stuff behind you now and start looking to the future - a healthier, happier new you. Whatever you do, don't let this rough start derail you from your ultimate goal. Good luck to you.

Hi Miss Nilsa,

I too was banded at NYU but by Dr. Kurian. I was banded on Aug. 10th. I have lost 19 lbs since my consult and 10 lbs since surgery date. I am still on mushies until wednesday. I feel a lot of restrication......breakfast is an egg, lunch is 3 oz. of tuna and dinner is a mushed up meatball........love that! I find that to be plenty. Tongiht I did treat myself to a 1/2 cup of ice cream....Dont get me wrong, I need to spoil myself once a month at least!

So you dont feel full at all? Do you feel like you can eat normal? I am going for a fill next week so I will see how that goes.....

It is hard to get adjusted too......The thing I have most difficulty is not being able to drink when I eat and not to mention not being able to drink diet coke....

I quit smoking about 2 weeks before my surgery and stopped drinking diet coke the night before my surgery. So basically, if I could have a diet coke and a cig right now, I would be very happy, but it is so hard because I need to never pick up a cigarette again and they say diet coke or carbonation is really bad for you. I dont know where to channel my emotions because it cant be with food or tobacco..... Ughh....it is hard to get used to but I keep telling myself it is important to me to be healthy and happy with myself.

Good luck to you fellow NYU Bander!

Claramae - You aren't the only emotional one right now. I cried today when I was going through my mail and found I'd gotten a $150 gift card from my company to have my house cleaned while I'm recovering!!!

I hope things were better for you today.