Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caffeine - when if at all can we start to drink coffee again?

My guidelines were that I could drink caffeine once I could get in 36oz of Water first. Caffeine is dehydrating so in the beginning it's important to get that much needed water in first, but after the 36, you can have your caffeine.

I started getting caffeine via Protein shakes at about 3 months postop. The only Protein Shakes I can (literally) stomach are by Chike and have two shots of expresso/serving. I add 1 1/2 cups of Water to every two scoops.

My surgeon is very progressive... younger guy that keeps up to date on the latest scientific trends. That being said, he never banned coffee/caffeine as long as it is black. He has told me that while coffee can be a diuretic, it still has a net positive with regards to hydration. Still, Water is the best so make sure to continue to hit your daily h2o goals.

I'm 4 weeks post op and I just started to add coffee this week. I add about 1-2 tablespoons of sugar free coffee creamer to it. I also make sure I drink it only after I've had my Protein shake in the morning and I make sure I drink plenty of Water throughout the day. I've been having some major Constipation issues (sorry, tmi!) and coffee has helped thing pass a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

surgeons seem to have wildly different opinions on this. Some allow coffee from the start, some say never, some say it's fine after x number of months. And still others say it's OK as long as you limit it.

I could have unlimited Decaf starting at 3 months out. At six months out, I could have one cup of regular per day (plus unlimited decaf). That works for me, so I'm still doing it....

The fact that there's no a consensus on it suggests to me that it's probably not *terrible* for you, but there's probably some fear that it could be hard on a healing stomach - or as another poster said, dehydrating.

I drink coffee daily, as they changed my work hours to having me busy at 6am. My dr never had an issue with it, younger guy. As long as I'm hydrated I think he's fine with it :)

I was told I need to get 36oz of Water in first during the first three month after surgery and to not drink any caffeine until the 5th month. I started having iced coffee once a day in my 5th month and then hot coffee in my 6th month. It bothers my stomach so I don't drink it anymore.

But it does make you dehydrated so I suggest you ask your doctor before you have any caffeine.

I replaced my coffee post surgery with Zeal. It is my complete Vitamin supplement replacement, it also has naturally occurring caffeine (as much as one cup on coffee) that literally gives you energy all day. I highly recommend if you are like me and have trouble taking all the Vitamins you need each day to stay healthy. You cannot buy it at the store, but here is where I order it from www.zurvita.com/jjwhitman. Works for me, and I do not miss the coffee at all!

My surgeon and NUT are ok with caffeine (as long as the Fluid requirements are met), but I didn't have any taste for coffee until about two months out (and don't drink any other caffeinated drinks). Now I am on the 1/2 caffeine low acid (GI friendly) coffee with a splash of sugar free Creamer. About one 12oz cup does it for me, although I do indulge the occasional cup of completely caffeine free coffee in the evening. The Vitamin drink mentioned earlier sounds interesting- will have to check it out.

My surgeon's team (haven't specifically asked surgeon, he has a bariatric dietician and a bariatric nurse educator on his team) says no caffeine ever. They say this isn't because of the dehydration aspects but because it's a gastric irritant and can contribute to the development of an ulcer. This is what I'm having the most trouble with. I know im a caffeine addict because I have headaches without my sweet tea. I can substitute the sugar, but I don't think it's the lack of sugar that causes my headaches but the lack of caffeine. I'm a hard core sweet tea addict.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App