Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on April 5 and have not had any caffeine since.

I'd love to have a latte now and then, not like I used to (daily). Maybe as a treat once or twice a week.

My nutritionist told me I could have it if I got my 64oz of Water first for that day. I'm really cautious about something messing with my stomach in the long term.

What have you been told about caffeine? Do you still have it?

I was told no caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

i was told after 3 months, as long as I am getting in at least 64oz of non-caffeinated fluids a day, i can have one 8oz cup of coffee or tea a day

I have tons of coffee -- caffeine will not dehydrate you (fn), no worries there. But be very careful of all the extra calories in a latte. That's what would worry me about it, not the caffeine.

Also, coffee can be hard on a tiny, healing, stomach -- it is very acidic. So that's a good reason to limit any sort of coffee drink, unless you like playing roulette with the possibility of ulcers, like I apparently do.

Furthermore, just keep in mind that liquid empty calories are a great way to get on the slippery slope away from healthy eating and weight loss. Might be a factor to keep an eye on. Skinny lattes are something I allowed myself as an occasional treat, but only after I hit my goal weight and maintained for 6 months. I would not have had them while I was trying to lose weight -- but that was my call as to what was right for me, as well as following my dietitian's plan.

fn: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/milk-and-other-surprising-ways-to-stay-hydrated/?_r=0

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

I was cleared for 8 oz of caffeine per day at my 2 week follow up. But I have to be sure to get all of my Fluid in if I drink it.

My nutritionist said that caffeine needs to be decaffeinated until cleared for full caffein due to it being a diuretic.

I've had coffee, lattes a couple of times since surgery(with caffeine). Definitely be mindful of the calories.

I was sleeved Feb 28 and drink 2-3 cups per day. A lot of people say that coffee will dehydrate you, but the research literature is very mixed on this question. A more recent study that I saw looked at habituated coffee drinkers drinking moderate amounts of standard strength coffee and found no dehydration. It does though raise your blood pressure, and while that dissipates reasonably quickly, you don't want to be pumped up on coffee all day long if you're trying to control your blood pressure.

I was told that 2 cups of caffeinated coffee a day would be fine by my nutritionist. I have closer to 4 cups a day, but I started to mix in some decaffeinated coffee with the regular coffee grounds.

Out of fairness, my nutritionist prefers that I drink non-caffeinated beverages whenever possible, but doesn't mind reasonable caffeine consumption.

Caffeine in reasonable quantities is only a mild diuretic. There are more sources of caffeine than just coffee, such as tea, diet sodas, etc.

You may want to be careful of the acidity and the effect on your stomach that is associated with either type of coffee if you drink a lot of it.

The calories in a latte, depending upon how it is made and size, can be pretty high.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I was told 1 cup max of coffee and that I had to drink more Water to make up for its diuretic effects.

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

I was a heavy coffee drinker prior to surgery. I weaned myself down to Decaf before surgery so I wouldn't be in withdrawal when I might otherwise be miserable... The hospital actually served me English Breakfast tea with my first meal (lots of caffeine I think?). No matter, I only took a couple of sips. I found after surgery that one cup of decaf was all I wanted (I wanted 4+ cups of strong Peets French Roast before).

After six weeks I started doing one cup of half regular/half decaf. Seems to work for me and no ill effects.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have all the caffeine and coffee I want. I just make sure I don't load it up with calories.

Try low acid coffee, cold brewed coffee is the best. And cold brewed is not the same as iced coffee

I have all the caffeine and coffee I want. I just make sure I don't load it up with calories.

Try low acid coffee, cold brewed coffee is the best. And cold brewed is not the same as iced coffee

My favorite right now is to add cold brew concentrate to my Protein shake. :D

My surgeon made me wait 8 weeks for coffee or tea because they hurt healing. There's studies that agree. That said, exactly 8 weeks in I was back to my daily dose. No problems since then.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App