Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your surgery a secret?

@@Cocojh ... erk!

So sorry your confidences were betrayed.

Not OK.

I wouldve been so mad about that. You told her and she told everyone else. Thats why i havent told anyone. Im going to the gym, and thats all they need to know. With the sleeve the weight lost isnt so drastic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Told people I'm having surgery? Yes. Told them the whole truth about it? Hell no! I've told them that my body over produces ghrelin the hormone in the stomach which creates hunger. That part is 100% true. I have blood work backing that statement up. I explained that the surgery that I will be doing will lower the production of the hormone. I will have to go on to a different diet that will be easier on my stomach to digest. All of that is true. Nobody needs to know the whole dang truth though! Too many haters.

I tell whoever asks. It's not really anything i'm sharing with social media but the individuals that are close to me know. Co workers tend to say oh wow that's scary isn't it. Normally the individual's that are 110lbs are the ones that say well you can do it without the surgery, at the end of the day i'm doing this for myself and could careless what others have to say.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

Only told my mom, hubby and 2 children 11,15. I'm not even telling anyone I'm leaving for 2 weeks. I just contacted my Short Term Disability group to get that in order. If asked? I'm going on vacay for I'll be back in 10 days. Just taking time off to spend with my kids since their out of school now. I walk, try to eat healthy, when they see me lose weight... all my hard work is paying off.

I am just putting it out there. I am not judging anyone if you don't want to tell. I've known people who kept it a major secret, and some who are only telling if someone asks and then in private. I figure everyone has their reasons.

I told family and friends first. My mom was probably the most concerned because of a) how drastic it is and mostly b ) that she's worried I will gain the weight back.

I posted this on FB about a week ago:

So if all goes well, on June 21st I will be having a laparoscopic vertical sleeve gastrectomy...aka gastric sleeve bariatric surgery. I am both nervous and excited about this big step, but also more than ready to make this life change. Short story is that I have been this weight since shortly after Mason was born, have tried many diets, and my health has taken hits because of it. I did not make this decision lightly (who does?? LOL) but with the thought that if I don't do something drastic, I might not be around in ten years. Morbid? Probably...but not that unrealistic. I would love any positive thoughts you want to send and/or tips :) This is a complete lifestyle change...the surgery is just a tool. Looking forward to a healthier me!

Y'all the response has been amazing! I am sure some don't really get it...I have a skinny cousin in California who has never been overweight and she always has something to say about my dieting choices LOL, but she kept it to herself this time.

I had several people who reached out to me to share their advice and their positive feelings about having had it or a similar surgery, some I wasn't even aware of. It was wonderful.

So yeah, my journey is going to be public, but, again, I understand that everyone has their reasons for doing it the way they chose to. I know that there are some really unsupportive/judgmental people out there and putting this out there for everyone may do a lot more damage than keeping it to yourself. So do what makes YOU feel comfortable and focus on your transformation!

Well I usually tell ppl everything. I have a big mouth and wear my heart on my sleeve. Its probably been a blessing and a curse for me. But I can tell you this, at this time (pre-op) I've decided to not tell anyone. Especially the guys I work with. I'm one of two women in my office. I would be embarrassed to tell them. Maybe I will feel different after the surgery (but I doubt it.) I plan on telling them I'm just having a procedure. Then, when I start losing, I will say I'm seeing a nutritionist which will be true. I work around very nice men but it's really none of their business! The only ppl who know are my sister and her husband and my mother and 3 of my closest friends. We shall see how fast the word gets around even with my attempts at secrecy. My sister has already discussed my surgery with a co-worker. We live in a small town...lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

@@Cocojh ... erk!

Not OK.

I wouldve been so mad about that. You told her and she told everyone else. Thats why i havent told anyone. Im going to the gym, and thats all they need to know. With the sleeve the weight lost isnt so drastic.

What do you mean weight loss is not that dramatic with vsg? That's not what I see and hear from ppl. Am I wrong to think I can reach my goal?

@@Cocojh ... erk!

Not OK.

What do you mean weight loss is not that dramatic with vsg? That's not what I see and hear from ppl. Am I wrong to think I can reach my goal?

Everyone loses at a different pace. Similar builds may be that one loses 10 pounds in a week, while the other loses 5. Everyone is different and results from person to person cannot be compared. Each journey is its own.

Me again. I didn't say why I kept it a secret. But here's the reason why I had a friend that had the gastric bypass. She was a manager at a tanning salon. Her best friend worked there and he was gay. He did some bad things and got himself fired. As his revenge he told everyone her secret on social media. He bashed her all over town. Called her every name in the book. I haven't even told my best friends, it makes me feel like you can't trust anyone. If someone could be that horrible because of their actions. It's not right. This woman hired her gay friend because he was in need of a job. It's really not right

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Me again. I didn't say why I kept it a secret. But here's the reason why I had a friend that had the gastric bypass. She was a manager at a tanning salon. Her best friend worked there and he was gay. He did some bad things and got himself fired. As his revenge he told everyone her secret on social media. He bashed her all over town. Called her every name in the book. I haven't even told my best friends, it makes me feel like you can't trust anyone. If someone could be that horrible because of their actions. It's not right. This woman hired her gay friend because he was in need of a job. It's really not right

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Why is his being gay relevant to the story?

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I surprised myself. I was convinced I would keep it a secret, but then my pre-op diet started and my co-workers were wondering why I was only on liquid so I came clean. I received a ton of support, so I announced it on Facebook last week. Again, a ton of support and no judgement (that I know of).

I know for me I was less worried about people judging what I'm eating and more worried about the stigma. But, an interesting thing happened when I announced it on FB: I got replies from 3 friends that had WLS and I didn't even know it. It made me feel a lot better and more supported.

However, that's just me. You owe it to no one to tell them if you don't want to.

I waited till I was mentally prepared to talk about it because clearly after the surgery the weight is going to come off quickly and will be obvious. I am proud of the decision I made and tell everyone of my choice to have the VSG done. We should never shame ourselves because of the decision we have made to get help to fight this disease called obesity.