Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No pre-op diet required. How should I prepare?

Surgery scheduled for 7/13. My doc doesn't require any pre op diet (only not to eat the night before). I'm worried this is going to make my first few days very hard because I will be so used to eating and my body will be shocked.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that I should enjoy this time and eat all the yummy food I can because very soon my entire life will change.

Opinions? Advice? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

i wasn't given a pre-op diet. i used the myfitnesspal app to monitor my calories, fat, and Protein. my max calorie goal was 900 and 40g of Protein, keeping fat to a minimum. i made sure to drink 64 oz of Water a day. i did this for 6 weeks before surgery and lost 15 lb. i'm not having any issues drinking my Water goal (just started week 4).

I didn't have to do any pre op diet either. I did try to cut out a few things like take away food and Coke as I was over doing it with those. But there's no reason you can't enjoy a few last splurges before hand. I still did that and have managed just fine.

I think because the first few weeks I haven't felt like overeating anyway so it's not been as big a challenge as you think it would be. Not that it's easy just not as tough as you think. Xx

I have no pre op diet but have started on a Protein low carb eating plan... I'm trying to move away from use the word diet lol... I think it's helping get in the groove of what to shop for and I guess it will help with the post op eating

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

They've all given great advice. I'd recommend the two weeks before setting a goal between 800 and 1k calories to do. Make this diet lean meats / high Protein, low carb (and if you do want carbs stick to healthy carbs) and low fat.. It'll help your body start adjusting to how to eat after so you won't be shocked.. Go out for a yummy meal the night before you start this diet / have all your favorites in the week or so lead up and remind yourself this isn't goodbye you'll eat them again! Make a goal to hit 50- 60 grams of Protein as that's what you'll want to hit after surgery and start trying to work toward 64 oz of fluids a day.. :D

I got the sleeve done today and my dr had me do a clear liquid diet the day before surgery and take Miralax as directed on the bottle at 3pm that way I wouldn't be up all night. My surgeon is ranked number 1 In the state of Mississippi and this was the directions she gave me

On the other hand, I keep thinking that I should enjoy this time and eat all the yummy food I can because very soon my entire life will change.

My medical insurance plan didn't require any pre-surgery weight loss period. My bariatric practice routinely had people lose weight either with an all-liquid plan or mostly liquid with one most modest daily meal. My own surgeon, one of three in the practice, told me that she didn't care if I lost weight before surgery. I was gleeful at that last, deciding to continue as I always had until after surgery. About three weeks before, however, it occurred to me that, if I were truly serious about losing weight, I'd start immediately. I began the liquid-modest meal method and lost about 11 lbs. in the three weeks. On the morning of surgery, the surgeon commented on the change on the scale. Her remark accomplished two things in my head: That I was a 'good girl' and that I was a responsible, capable adult.

Your "yummy food" reference reminds me that many pre-op people plan "last meals." I'd been thinking of doing the same. Part of the mix in deciding to begin losing weight beforehand was that one day more or less of bad eating would make no difference. We never remember a meal. It also occurred to me that changing my life forever was the point of the whole thing.

There's one person's take on it. You'll do as you see fit.

I didn't have to do pre op diet... Nothing can really prepare you for the first few weeks post sleeve. Enjoy yourself I say, but just remember you have to loose anything you gain.. And when you are close to goal (if your like me) you have to fight for every gram gone.

Goodluck, this is an amazing thing you are doing for yourself!

I do not have a require " diet" before surgery either. My doctor made some suggestions that he feels can make the transition a but easier. He recommended eliminating any carbonated beverages at least two weeks prior and to try and eat less carbs. I didn't have to meet a required weight loss either.

I am in the same mindset as a few of the reply above. Enjoy the time you are given but I also think you should be mindful of what you eat. This is mindset that you will have to focus on everyday for the rest of your life, why not start now. Good luck to you with your surgery. I am having mine on July 5th and I cannot wait!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by amandaelder4

Surgery scheduled for 7/13. My doc doesn't require any pre op diet (only not to eat the night before). I'm worried this is going to make my first few days very hard because I will be so used to eating and my body will be shocked.

Opinions? Advice? Anyone?

Just because it's not required doesn't mean it's not worth doing on your own.

Give it a try. Easy, simple and oh so much fun. :D

My surgeon just wanted me to lose 10lbs between October and my surgery last month. I lost nothing until January when they told me if I didn't start losing some weight I would not qualify then they gave me an easy diet I could try

Breakfast

Protein shake or 2 eggs

snack

Light Yogurt

lunch

Lean Cuisine

Snack

cheese Stick/Smartfood (something in the 100 calorie range)

dinner

Small portion of my normal family dinner or another Lean Cuisine

I lost 40 lbs between February 2 and May 5

If you haven't already, start taking any required pre-op Vitamins. At least a Multivitamin.

I found it really helpful to slowly wean myself off of carbonation and the caffeine. You really don't want to have to deal with withdrawal and caffeine headaches post-op.

Practice eating mindfully. Eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly.

Make sure you stay hydrated. Aim for at least 64 oz of non-carbonated, non-caffeinated Fluid a day.

Start tracking your food. Even if you don't change your diet substantially, it helps to get in the habit of tracking. I use MyFitnessPal (it's a free, easy to use, phone app).

Move more. If you aren't already exercising, do what you can to add more exercise and movement into your day.

Adding, pre-op is also a good time to do some journaling. Make a pros and cons list for having and not having surgery. Write about what you want your new life to be like. Make a vision board.

I am surprised about this "no pre op diet". As explained by my surgeon the pre op diet is to shrink you liver. Since the liver lays on top of the stomach, making the liver smaller makes it easier to access the stomach.

My pre op was one week of two Protein shakes a day and one meal consisting of lean meat (4oz of chicken or fish) plus light salad and non starchy vegitable and small portion of fruit. This is my day before surgery and strictly Clear liquids all day, stop all liquids at midnight.

I have lost about three pounds since last week.

I was told if I did not at least maintain (and hopefully lose), my surgeon reserved the option of denying my surgery. My group of 12 patients (scattered throughout June) were given the same instructions regardless of sleeve or bypass.

Just very odd to me that there can be this much variation in pre surgery preparation.