Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 4 weeks post op and can't meet my liquid or Protein goals. Pretty much anything I eat with the exception of yogurt gives me the "foamies" for hours! Obviously while I'm puking I'm not eating or drinking. When I can eat I'm not supposed to drink 30 minutes before or after. I'm suppose to eat 6 times a day and I might eat twice. The goals are 100 oz liquid and 80gr protein. On a good day which is few and far between I might get 45 protein and 70 liquid. It's very frustrating. I think I'm being punished for having an amazingly easy surgery and recovery. Anyone else finding it impossible to meet their goals??? And yes I am chewing and eating super slow! It takes me almost an hour to get down 4oz of soft food.

I don't think anyone at 4 weeks out can get in all the liquid and Protein. I'm surprised by the 100 oz of liquid--usually it's 64 oz. Did someone tell you to drink/eat that much at this stage? The numbers you gave are more for when you are on solid food a while and it takes some time to get to that level. I've never had the foamies but others have and can speak to it. Have you talked with your surgeon? You might want to do that (or the nurse or nut).

Best of luck. And pay attention to your body.

The bariatric clinic set my goal amounts and said I wouldn't meet them right away but should be meeting them by my one month post op appointment. I have a post op education class in the morning and plan to ask to talk to my surgeon while there. Unfortunately it seems my body doesn't give me any indicators until it's too late. The foamies are terrible. It's just very frustrating when I know I'm not overeating if anything I'm under eating. I knew it wouldn't be easy but I really thought I'd do better than I am.

Sent from my SM-G900F using the BariatricPal App

Are you sipping your Water with a spoon? I had the same trouble in the beginning and I was told that the Water intake was more important so you don't get dehydrated. You don't want that because then you'll have a whole new set of problems to contend with! Good Luck & just take it slow.

100 ounces of fluids per day seems on the high side unless you work outdoors in a hot climate or perform quite a bit of physical labor or exercise. This is definitely something I would double check.

Fluids are important because as your fat cells dissolve they release hormones and chemicals stored within and these are flushed through your kidneys and then your urine. So you need Water or other fluids to flush these away.

The most important elements after surgery are meeting your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your stored fat is being converted into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. food is secondary.

In meeting your Fluid daily requirements remember everything counts. This includes the Water you swallow to drink your Vitamins. The water or milk in your Protein shakes. Decaf tea or coffee. The water in Soups. So it is generally not difficult to meet your minimum requirement. But again 100 ounces is a little on the high side.

But you do need to meet your Protein requirements. I recommend that you focus on this one first. Your protein requirement is satisfied by the protein that you eat in meals combined with the protein from supplements such as Protein Shakes. At 4 weeks post op, your meal volume is minuscule, so you will get very little protein from your meals. In the early stages I drank 3 protein shakes a day but as my meal volume increased I was able to reduce this number.

If you are talking foamies, you are probably talking about dumping.

100 oz is the high side of the goal but it's the standard goal for everyone at the bariatric clinic I attend. I do have an active job however it's in doors so heat isn't an issue. I drink one Protein shake a day and am working on adding another it just sits so heavy on my stomach. I also eat a Greek yogurt . Those combined bring me to 45 for Protein. Pretty much any protein food I've tried such as eggs tuna and canned chicken make me foam. I don't think it's dumping. It feels like it gets stuck right in the center of my chest and my mouth fills with saliva and eventually I vomit slime/bubbles. This happens no matter how small or far between my bites are. I'm hopeful this phase will pass sooner than later! While it is miserable I haven't regretted my decision and I'm ecstatic that it has made me break my relationship with food ????

Could be you just are not ready for soft foods just yet. Everyone is different. If food feels like it is getting stuck in the middle of your chest, and you eventually vomit slide/bubbles, it sounds like you either ate too much, ate too fast and it is part of dumping (I think). It happens to me too, and I really believe it is from eating too fast. I've always been a very fast eater, and it is the hardest habit to break! I'm working on it by counting how many times I chew, and also by putting my utensils down in between bites. Perhaps you need to just stay with a bit more liquid than soft food right now. Also, if the Protein shakes are sitting heavy on your stomach, try thinning it out a bit with some milk (also adds a bit more protein!). If you are feeling it sitting heavy, this may help.

Hope everything goes well.

I'm honestly thinking my pouch just don't hold 4 oz which is the portion size my surgeon recommended. I have no sensation of full until it gets stuck but by then of course it's too late. I've been reading and assume I don't have the sensation of full back yet which is normal. It's usually around 2oz that I get down before something gets stuck. I'm going to stop serving myself a 4oz portion and just go with 2 for now. I of course could be wrong but my surgeon describes dumping and foamies as two different things. He says foamies is eating fast or large bites and the foam tries to break it down and produces a large amount of slime like substance. He says dumping is usually sugary food that empties too quick and causes rapid heart rate sweats etc....but if I've learned anything at all it is that no two surgeons are anywhere near alike! Thanks guys for the advice!

4 oz is likely too much at this 4 weeks post-op (especially if you are trying 4 oz 6 times per day). Agree you should cut back to 2 oz and see how that goes. Don't stress about getting to that Protein and Fluid goals this early. You will get there but it may take time.

What kind of Protein drinks are you using? Bariatric Advantage and Chike both offer 30G or Protein with only 7-9 ounces of Fluid. That makes it pretty easy to get down 2-3 drinks a day.

I have experienced the foamies now twice. It seems to only happen to me with meat. I can eat (2oz) of cottage cheese, hummus, grilled salmon, grilled cod, tuna fish with a bit of mayo and I do fine... ground turkey meatloaf and shredded chicken salad, not so much.

I'm 3 weeks out. I also found this Protein Drink that isn't all milky which has 40G of protein in 20ounces... not too bad, and more like drinking flavored Water (albeit being a bit too sweet).

I hope you improve soon! We are still at the beginning stages, and our pouches just don't want too much right now...

I use premier Protein shakes they have 30 gr in 11 oz and Quest unflavored powder. I went to my bariatric clinic today and he told me to go another week trying even smaller bites and wetter foods and if I'm still getting stuck they may do an endoscopy and check things out. He also recommended warm drinks prior to eating to thin the foamies down. Thanks! I think my pouch is not ready for meats either!

Today marks 8 weeks post-op, and all I can offer as a word of advise to those who are 2-3 weeks post-op is to not rush things with food. Take your time and allow your new pouch and intestinal system to adapt. Try to eat just a couple ounces and then wait 2 to 2-1/2 hrs and eat a little bit more. This way you will not push the boundaries of your system. I know it gets boring eating the same kind of food over and over again, but trust me, when you get back to regular food, you will be testing the boundaries again. I found out that steak makes me nauseous, and I will put it aside for now for another couple of months and try again. But that's okay; I'm adding new things back into my diet every day and some things don't taste the same anymore and are not as appealing as they used to be, and other things are just "eh". I just started feeling hunger again, but it's not like it used to be at all.

Give it time, be kind to your system, and you will be at 8 weeks before you know it!

Just an update! Yesterday I couldn't hold anything down and was nauseous all day. By evening I couldn't even sip Water without it coming right back out. I called my surgeons office first thing this morning and they got me right into the endoscopy center. Ends up I had a severe stricture. The opening to your stomach is usally 12 (not sure if cm or mm) and mine was at .5 They did a balloon dilation the open me back up. Even though my throat is sore and I have to start completely over on the diet stages I am better! It was literally instant relief! I'm on Clear liquids for a few days but I'm ecstatic that I have been drinking Water this evening and it's staying down!

Wow. So glad you are better.

How does that happen? Just how someone is born or part of surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you! They said I just healed really well and the scar tissue was good and thick and was closing my opening. Nothing you can do to cause it, it just happens sometimes.