Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The straw that broke the camel's back

What happened that made you decide "That's it! I'm getting weight loss surgery!"?

For me, it was that I've been overweight since my early 20s and I am not 37 and I STILL don't have diabetes or heart disease... but if I keep going like I am, I'm going to get those things eventually! And I've given myself enough time to do it on my own and I obviously can't, so weight loss surgery it is! It will force me to eat right for a while which will get me in that habit and I will continue that way for the rest of my life.

So what about you?

I'm in the same boat you are. I had no medical problems and felt like I was on borrowed time before I ended up with some medical problems. I'm 33 and decided that now is the time. I was sleeved on 3/7/16, and it was the best choice I ever made. I feel so much different and have so much more energy. I have lost a total of 76lbs!! It's not an easy journey, but one I know I can do!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 42 and have been overweight most of my adult life. Hell...I was an overweight teen! Any who I decided that I was tired of being overweight and trying on my own. Obviously, I can't do it on my own! I don't have any other medical issues except for GERD and low back pain which was caused by a work accident but is made worse by my weight. I have always secretly wanted this surgery but never had looked into it until recently.

I learned how safe the surgery actually is and decided I didn't want to die early. Simple as that!

I'm still finishing up my check list before I get approved. That's IF I get approved! Man, I really hope I am!

This getting approved thing is so annoying... It hard to mentally prepare for surgery when you don't know if you will get approved...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Yep, you said it!

I have been overweight my entire adult life. While we were on vacation last year two things happened: 1) I saw a picture my Dad had taken of the family and I honestly didn't recognize myself and 2) I realized that I was missing out on everything with my family (playing on the beach, long walks, bike rides, etc). The week after we got back I made an appointment with my family doctor for a WLS referral.

I've always been overweight. I honestly thought it was normal when I was younger because my family was full of overweight people. Almost two years ago I lost an uncle to congestive heart failure. He was very overweight, had sleep apnea and other health problems. I'm overweight, have sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, and more. I've tried to lose weight many different ways but it never sticks. I finally got tired of feeling like I'm dying in my own body. Don't get me wrong I love myself but I don't love all of the extra weight. It's damaging my whole being. I was scared of the surgery but then I found out my aunt did it and since I've considered it, I've found so many helpful people that it makes the process seem simple. I know it's major surgery but I don't feel alone in the process with being able to reach out to so many people over the Internet. I'm new to the process so I have a few appointments to go but hopefully everything goes well!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Good luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle! You can do anything if you want it bad enough!

Always been overweight. I dislocated my kneecap in January and because of my weight I am not healing well. I am only 36 and if i already have joint problems I am looking at a rough life. Had to do something

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I'm 22 years old and for the last 15 years of my life I've been overweight. I've always been the bigger girl.

I have two year twin girls, who mean the world to me. I don't want to continue to shorten my life. My girls deserve a healthy mommy.

I deserve a healthy life.

I'm 22 years old and for the last 15 years of my life I've been overweight. I've always been the bigger girl.

I have two year twin girls, who mean the world to me. I don't want to continue to shorten my life. My girls deserve a healthy mommy.

I deserve a healthy life.

Aww, yeah! Good for you, girl!

I'm 52, been overweight most of my life. My wake up call was in January when I was having knee trouble and nothing was helping, the Dr I went to stated very clearly "no one is going to do anything for you at your current weight"..... So here I am. Don't have a surgery date yet, few more thing to complete and hope to have it done soon. Been pretty healthy most of my life, just overweight. I've been in every direction, excited, nervous, scared, happy, sad. But my goal is to be healthy

Good luck to all of you.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App