Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How have people responded to your weghtloss?

If it is in passing I say say, "Thanks, decided to get healthy." If someone takes me aside and asks me specifically what I have been doing, then I say "I decided to get healthy and had WLS."

My surgery Is in June, and I am struggling with this exact situation

It's sadly been proven, I cant confide in my fellow co workers

so I am at a very disappointed cross roads as well.

Thank you for all your replies and honesty, I don't like the idea of not being truthful.......

I am making myself sick with worry~

I tell everyone who asks that I had weight loss surgery, but also add on that I follow a strict diet and exercise a minimum of 1 hour/day 5 days per week. I don't mind people knowing I had surgery, but I try to convey that it's not the only reason I've lost 125 lbs in < 1 year.

I tell people I had the WLS because I need a Kidney Transplant and in order to qualify I needed to lose 80lbs... which hey only 15 more lbs to go :-)

So far, folks have been really supportive and I thank them for their comments. If they ask what I'm doing, I tell them I am following a strict diet after WLS surgery.

Yes!! It's a good thing but I was working out before my sleeve so it looks like it's paying off . My manager asked me yesterday what was I doing. I said high protein/low carbs which is true. I was a sweet eater Cookies, cheesecake and ice cream. Now I don't crave those things at all!! Surprisingly I'm one month post op and I've lost 20 pounds. 30-40 more to go before I reach my goal weight. I was a low BMI patient.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@reachbree

I proudly tell people I had surgery ... Some have been very receptive to it ... and others just say "oh" and walk away ...

Sure tells you quickly who isn't going to judge you for a choice YOU made to make YOUR life better ...

Some will actually ask questions and be genuinely interested ...

And for those who aren't interested in my honest answer ... I say "your loss...go take your close minded self away!"

As others have said ... it's your decision about telling people or not ... it's nothing to be ashamed about ... it's your private business ...

Best of luck !

Yes.

I tell them I had VSG surgery and have followed the new way of eating most of the time.

There is no other way I can explain losing 185 lbs. What do I say, "Oh yeah....I was in Kamchatka on vacation and was bitten by a rabid sea snake while skin diving for dinner......and the venom burned away all my fat?".

Dub, that is absolutely preposterous!

Everyone knows that only a sting from a box jellyfish with toenail fungus can do that!

(I have 119 minutes to verify this information and make a correction).

:)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

Comedy option: Lean towards them, gently touch their hand, and in a knowing, old-wives-tale voice, say "whole grains." And then nod and smile and say it again. "Whole. Grains."

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

And then walk away.

Edited by Fredbear

I really needed this post! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If it is someone I know very well and would benefit from surgery I may tell them but I generally say I work very closely with my doctor and pay attention to what I put in my mouth.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

My answer was eating right and working out...All true.

I told a few supportive family and friends. That's it. Most people speculated that I had surgery. I never felt owed anyone an explanation. I did not want to be the spokes person for bariatrics.

After you hit goal all the shock and questions will stop. People will just except this is you. Life will be normal.

@@reachbree

I'm lucky that most of the people I know have good manners and don't ask me stupid questions.

When people see me they just usually comment that I look pretty (not tooting my own horn, or that I look great. People really rarely ask me how I lost weight. Most of the people I know are thin and they don't care. The 2 people that asked I told them low carb/keto and walking.

I'm lucky that most of the people I know have good manners and don't ask me stupid questions.