Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will a Week Off be Enough for a HR desk Job

@@Lindsey Skinner Abbott - I would plan for two weeks after reading your last post ^. I have a pretty physical job.

My BP dropped about 2 weeks after I came back to work. I noticed that more. Staying hydrated is also key. After about 25lbs watch your BP. I was moved to pureed on Day 3 and like the OP mentioned may have been why I didn't feel as tired as most. I had surgery on a Wed and took the rest of that week and the following off. I would have been fine going back the following Monday. I was stir crazy.

Unfortunately you cannot predict how you will feel post-op, hopefully you will have a pretty easy recovery like I did.

welcome to the BP family!!!

I work for the government in the removal side of of HR. Trust me it takes a lot more than a week of surgery and complications to be removed from government service. Plus as a government employee I have appeal right if I am removed. Yes, we have actually brought people back to work after they were removed and they appealed the decision and are back at work. My boss knows what is going on and I can always envoke FMLA after surgery if needed. We can even take up to 200 hours of advanced sick leave if we need to. I don't feel threatened with being removed since my boss is very supportive of my surgery.

I don't know your organizational culture, but any organization where HR folks are afraid to take sufficient time off to recover from any surgery or any personal issue, is a huge red flag for me. You may not know it, but whatever you do is setting an example for other people in your organization.

I had a former boss recently pass away at a very young age (from something that was very treatable), but he was one of these people who felt it was some sort of moral failing (or at least professional failing) to take time for sick days or even vacation days. Accumulated sick and vacation time does not help you if you are dead.

I work for the government in the removal side of of HR. Trust me it takes a lot more than a week of surgery and complications to be removed from government service. Plus as a government employee I have appeal right if I am removed. Yes, we have actually brought people back to work after they were removed and they appealed the decision and are back at work. My boss knows what is going on and I can always envoke FMLA after surgery if needed. We can even take up to 200 hours of advanced sick leave if we need to. I don't feel threatened with being removed since my boss is very supportive of my surgery.

I don't know your organizational culture, but any organization where HR folks are afraid to take sufficient time off to recover from any surgery or any personal issue, is a huge red flag for me. You may not know it, but whatever you do is setting an example for other people in your organization.

I had a former boss recently pass away at a very young age (from something that was very treatable), but he was one of these people who felt it was some sort of moral failing (or at least professional failing) to take time for sick days or even vacation days. Accumulated sick and vacation time does not help you if you are dead.

i can totally take the two weeks or even a month, I just don't want to. I recently had a surgery on a herniated disc and felt fine to go back to work after a week. I just don't like wasting my time off if I don't have to. If I can come to work and still take care of myself I will definitely do that. I don't like just sitting around at home.

I am thankful for the two full weeks I took off. The first week just to heal the second week to relax and focus on self and the new lifestyle, and continuing to heal.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm a computer geek, and while I don't have my date yet, I am planning for one week completely off, and one week working from home. I hope that's sufficient. I'm not eligible for FMLA because I haven't been with my company a year. But my boss is totally supportive, and I can extend the work from home period if I need to, and if I have serious complications she'll approve time off without pay. I had a knee reconstruction done back in '98 and was off work for 2 full weeks, and then worked from home for another 3 and I was in massive pain and dealing with physical therapy.

I'm a switchboard operator at a VA hospital and I was back to work 3 days post op. I was in the hospital for less than 24 hrs and went to the mall the next day. Now I'm by no means normal compared to most but it was normal for me. I knew I didn't want to be in the hospital longer than a day so I was a star pupil and made sure I walked, stretched, turned and breathed every 30 minutes to get the gas out. I stopped my pain meds (with approval) a few hours before discharge and didn't take a prescription home. Once I got back to work I moved around in my office and took things slowly. I was tired more than usual for about two weeks but I'm sure that was more due to my clear liquid diet. That being said request your time. If you decide you want less after surgery and are ready to go back do it. If you need more then take it, do FMLA and borrow leave if you need it. No one is the same at recovery and it's better to be prepared than not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

Should add in I am two weeks post op today. I am able to walk a couple miles a day, was even able to do lawn work. The more you get up and move around the less pain you will have and I noticed the days I don't get up and move I don't loose. So that's huge motivation to get moving

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

everyone is different , but I took a week of my surgery was march 2 and I came back to work on march 8 and I was fine. but always consult with your doctor.

I finally got my date! May 24th will be the day! I work in HR and do mainly desk work. Will a week off be enough or should I take two weeks?

I took one week off from a physical, on my feet, lifting, squatting, bending all day job and I was fine. Tired when I got home but I would have been bored silly to stay at home. I was on full liquid diet for 3 weeks so just had to make sure I had plenty of Protein smoothies and other fluids to drink in between appointments. Drinking real juice and adding fruit to my smoothies helped with my energy levels. Also had to limit my lifting to just 20 pounds for three weeks but was back to the usual 40-60 pounds after that.

I think everyone's experience varies. Could I have gone back to work after one week? Yes. Would that have been easy? No.