Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Definitely, you should WAIT!!

The surgery will DRAMATICALLY change your body over the first 12-18 months. Patients often require additional surgeries for removal of skin and/or a lift/tuck. Wait until your new body arrives before adding some ink - you don't want to get a beautiful piece and have your body changes turnit into a red/purple/yellow blob that will need correction or removal later.

I had several before surgery but on arms and upper back. ive lost 245 lbs and they all look fine still. depends on where you want to get it at! I have added several hours of ink to my tats since weight loss as a celebration too!

I think you should wait after the surgery!

That tattoo money will go a long way towards buying new clothes.....which, by the way, is a known need. You'll be shopping yer arse off for clothes....for the next 18 months or so, at least.

I would opt to wait on tattoos until at least a year afterwards. Your body is going to change a great deal.

I have been wanting more tattoos also, but I plan on getting plastic surgery so I think it would be good to wait. I currently have 3 in places that don't get loose skin so they are ok. I think getting one on your foot or somewhere that has very little fat is your best bet. Probably where I will get one soon, my feet are all skin and bone now.

I think it depends on where you plan to put it. I have one on my wrist that was not affected

There will be loose skin in areas, so I guess it depends where you have it done.

Make sure you do your research. You wouldn't want this:

467512688.jpg?v=2&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=WIQyz

To end up looking something like this:

ed8132c3c4156c1ff37ca4c5960473a6.jpg

:)

Just had a new tatt done this evening!

That being said, I will give you a little bit of background. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff (retired early due to heart problems). I was extremely bored at home and wanted to try and keep busy. I went back to college again for Computer Networking (not as fun the second time around). It kept me occupied for a couple of years. I always enjoyed art and tattoos, so I was lucky enough to pick up an aprenticeship with a local tattoo artist. We became good friends and a couple years latter opened up our own shop. We have both moved on since then but I still appreciate a good piece of art, wether on myself or another.

As for wether or not you should get a tattoo at this point, I would say that it mainly depends on where you are getting it. A tattoo on the wrist/forearm/top of the foot (which definately does not feel good), would be fine in my opinion. If you were planning on a chest, stomache, or even upper arm tattoo, I would suggest waiting. If you were planning on a tattoo on a area that you carry a lot of extra weight, you have to realize that though the tatt itself will be fine, it's placement can change with dramatic weight loss. Talk to your artist and let him know that you are getting ready to have weight loss surgery. A good artist will point you in the right direction, after all you as the client will be a living billboard for his/her artwork.

The tattoo I had done tonight (The Beatles), is on the side of my forearm. This would be the first I have gotten in the last couple years, they still hurt!

I decided to use getting a tattoo as a reward. For me I would get one when I got to 165 pounds. I got it on the outside of my thigh just above the knee. It isn't a very big one.

165 is not my goal weight for overall weight loss but it was an interim number I picked.

I would wait and use it as a nice reward to yourself when you hit one of your interim goal weights.

Great advice already...placement matters. I had one done recently as a motivator, but I took into account the size, shrinkage, plastics I plan to get later, etc.

I also have plans for others in the future. All of my current tattoos are are in the torso area (upper and lower back, stomach, etc.) with the exception of one on my wrist.

I want a small one too on my wrist. I should be having surgery in August. I made a deal with my mom and she is going to pay for my tattoo after I reach a certain goal after surgery. We haven't determined the goal just yet. [emoji3]