Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed & Can't meet H20/Protein goals

I'm in tears over here. I feel like I'm failing - surgery was 4/18, but I'm not hungry at all, and even trying to drink everything is hurting. I can't stand the powders, they're making me nauseous, even mixed with broth, etc. The pre-mixed Protein shakes hurt me too bad (the dairy). I'm FAR from my water/protein goals & can't stop crying because I just don't know where to go from here. Isopure is disgusting, even tried Syntrax Strawberry/Kiwi this morning mixed with strawberry Vitamin Water Zero, but I can still taste the Protein, and it makes me gag every time I sip on it. I know I wouldn't have a problem if I only had to intake Water, I can sip on that, Decaf tea, Crystal Light, etc all day - but this protein is killing me!

I just feel like a failure, not sure when I should even eat Jello, etc because my stomach is not growling. There is a drink called Protein20 that I recently found at my local QT that is really good, that may be my only option at this point - 15g protein/bottle - tastes WAY better than Isopure. Maybe next week will be better, when I can start scrambled eggs, oatmeal, etc. :(

well I would focus on liquids before even Protein. the more dehydrated you get the harder it is to get started again. you just have to make yourself sip sip sip - little bits. otherwise you will be more nauseated.

You're not a failure. Drink the Protein Water - and get as much protein as you can but don't make yourself crazy or sick. Fluids are most important. Your hormones are all messed up and I'm sure that's part of the reason for the tears. Call your Nutritionist or Surgeon to ask about not being able to get anything else down. You may just have more swelling but they may have suggestions. You can do this! Stay strong!

I was repulsed by Isopure at first until I tried the green tea flavor. Still leaves a bit of a chalky feeling in mouth after but it was much easier to get down than dairy Protein Shakes. You could always mix half with Water and sip. That may make it more palatable.

If you can drink the Protein 20 then by all means drink it.

Don't wait for your stomach to "growl" or you may be waiting a very long time.

Keep sipping on what you can get down.

One thing that really worked for me immediately post op was the ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates. They are clear and I didn't detect a Protein taste with them. I ate them undiluted with a spoon over a little bit of crushed ice.

Have you tried something like bone broth? It has more protein than regular broth.< /p>

It will get better!

Don't be so hard on yourself - you're not a failure. You are running into some difficulties and need to experiment a little with some adjustments until you find a way around them. There is a wealth of practical experience here on the forum. The only thing that I will say first is that if you are experiencing any pressure, pain or nausea after eating or drinking, then you are trying to do too much too fast - it's easy to misjudge how much you can take in, because it's so much less than before. Slow down and use smaller portions and try to spread them out over time. Don't make yourself ill or cause yourself to vomit.

Edited by Barry W

I was repulsed by Isopure at first until I tried the green tea flavor. Still leaves a bit of a chalky feeling in mouth after but it was much easier to get down than dairy Protein shakes. You could always mix half with Water and sip. That may make it more palatable.

Did that week 1 - they're still so disgusting to me even diluted. I only tried the Alpine Punch, but it's too expensive to buy a whole case if I don't like it. :\

I was repulsed by Isopure at first until I tried the green tea flavor. Still leaves a bit of a chalky feeling in mouth after but it was much easier to get down than dairy Protein shakes. You could always mix half with Water and sip. That may make it more palatable.

Did that week 1 - they're still so disgusting to me even diluted. I only tried the Alpine Punch, but it's too expensive to buy a whole case if I don't like it. :\

If you have a GNC you should be able to buy single bottles and/or return unopened bottles of you buy in bulk.

If you can drink the Protein 20 then by all means drink it.

Don't wait for your stomach to "growl" or you may be waiting a very long time.

Keep sipping on what you can get down.

One thing that really worked for me immediately post op was the ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates. They are clear and I didn't detect a Protein taste with them. I ate them undiluted with a spoon over a little bit of crushed ice.

Have you tried something like bone broth? It has more protein than regular broth.< /p>

It will get better!

I will order some of the ProtiDiet.. they seem to have some great reviews.. anything that tastes like Water, but yet sweet will help me get through this phase. Do you know if they are only available online? Thank you!

Edited by fullyalive

I'm in tears over here. I feel like I'm failing - surgery was 4/18, but I'm not hungry at all, and even trying to drink everything is hurting. I can't stand the powders, they're making me nauseous, even mixed with broth, etc. The pre-mixed Protein shakes hurt me too bad (the dairy). I'm FAR from my water/protein goals & can't stop crying because I just don't know where to go from here. Isopure is disgusting, even tried Syntrax Strawberry/Kiwi this morning mixed with strawberry Vitamin Water Zero, but I can still taste the Protein, and it makes me gag every time I sip on it. I know I wouldn't have a problem if I only had to intake Water, I can sip on that, Decaf tea, Crystal Light, etc all day - but this protein is killing me!

I just feel like a failure, not sure when I should even eat Jello, etc because my stomach is not growling. There is a drink called Protein20 that I recently found at my local QT that is really good, that may be my only option at this point - 15g protein/bottle - tastes WAY better than ISOPURE. Maybe next week will be better, when I can start scrambled eggs, oatmeal, etc. :(

Just fill up on the Protein Drink you can tolerate. Don't stress they don't expect you to meet all of your goals until you are back on food. Go easy on yourself, if you can go for a short walk getting up and going outside might lift a little of the depression. Hope you feel better

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I never liked the Isopure either. Just drink that Protein 20 or even mix powdered Protein into a cream of wheat and thin it way out and just sip. If you really feel like you can't get anything in the little bit of carbs might perk you body up and get you feeling a better. Mix it up a tad bit. Like everyone else said drink that Water and hang in there. If you need to get some gatoraid and mix the Isopure with that to help improve the flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Doc'sWife

GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 chocolate with chocolate Fair Life milk and lots of ice is the only Protein I like. I too have tried all you've listed plus many many more. My husbands a bodybuilder so the amount of protein we've had in this house is ridiculous.

It gets a little bit better each day. Just get down whatever you can get down. Get medicine cups (you can get 100 for like $2.99 on Amazon). Anyway just do a "shot" (1oz if you can) every 4 minutes that you are awake. As other posters have stated it is the liquids that are most important. Alternate that with your Liquid Protein. And yes getting all that stuff down is exhausting, it's like a job, but right now that is your job... To take care of yourself. You got this! You can do this! I swear that it will get a little bit better each day and in a few months you will barely remember what a challenge it was

Please don't be so upset my surgery was 4/20 and I'm the opposite I'm hungry but I get full fast and I'm not getting enough Protein but I'm drinking Water staying hopeful don't give up! Gdlck sweetie❤