Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed & Can't meet H20/Protein goals

If you can drink the Protein 20 then by all means drink it.

Don't wait for your stomach to "growl" or you may be waiting a very long time.

Keep sipping on what you can get down.

One thing that really worked for me immediately post op was the ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates. They are clear and I didn't detect a Protein taste with them. I ate them undiluted with a spoon over a little bit of crushed ice.

Have you tried something like bone broth? It has more protein than regular broth.< /p>

It will get better!

I will order some of the ProtiDiet.. they seem to have some great reviews.. anything that tastes like Water, but yet sweet will help me get through this phase. Do you know if they are only available online? Thank you!

Yes, I think I got mine from Bariatric Choice. My surgeon's office also sold them. I don't know if the BariatricPal Store has them or not but you can look.

If you can drink the Protein 20 then by all means drink it.

Don't wait for your stomach to "growl" or you may be waiting a very long time.

Keep sipping on what you can get down.

One thing that really worked for me immediately post op was the ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates. They are clear and I didn't detect a Protein taste with them. I ate them undiluted with a spoon over a little bit of crushed ice.

Have you tried something like bone broth? It has more protein than regular broth.< /p>

It will get better!

I will order some of the ProtiDiet.. they seem to have some great reviews.. anything that tastes like Water, but yet sweet will help me get through this phase. Do you know if they are only available online? Thank you!
Yes, I think I got mine from Bariatric Choice. My surgeon's office also sold them. I don't know if the BariatricPal Store has them or not but you can look.
I ordered mine from the Choice store last night w/ 2 day delivery.. and just picked up some Protein20 at my QT a little while ago, so hopefully I can get a little protein in me. My hormones are still a mess though, went crazy crying this morning because the rabbits cage hasn't been cleaned out a week ago like I asked since I can't bend down to clean it myself. Ugh

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

well I would focus on liquids before even Protein. the more dehydrated you get the harder it is to get started again. you just have to make yourself sip sip sip - little bits. otherwise you will be more nauseated.

Bingo! @fullyalive.. 1st day post procedure they told me I had to drink what looked like a 3-4oz cup of liquid and I should be able to finish it in 2hrs..bull I barely touched it.. I sucked on ICE most of my time in hospital.. I may have gotten 1oz in a 4hr period in.

Selection in Protein Powder is crucial, we all have different pallets I started out with EAS which was great pre-procedure but was horrible post procedure to me.. I then moved to syntrax-nectar flavors after reading so many positive post here and now I am a Isopure fan.. but again, I was only getting down 2-3 oz post procedure.. what I was able to drink was crystal light just like you.. so I made sure I got as many oz of crystal light in as I could and sipped the Protein Drink where tolerable... eventually I want to say, 10-14days out, I was finally able to finish one 8oz cup of Protein drink.. but then the opposite happens. I was no longer staying up on non-protein liquids..arrrrgghhhh... so you will have to find a balance and each person is different..

When it comes to hunger, I was not hungry post procedure for days, but I had stuck a post it note to my fridge that had the protein and liquid goals I need to meet and why.. the why is simple and some have already mentioned in here..Dehydration you want to desperately avoid it.. so if you can't get protein down right now fine... keep sucking down the crystal light.. the protein side of things will pick up I promise..

MojoCAMI

post-262002-14618662467776_thumb.jpg ok this stuff was a life saver for me!! If you like coconut Water this is going to hydrate you completely and give you 20gms of protein!!!! post-262002-1461866371741_thumb.jpg here in Florida it is available at Vitamin Shoppe. Please stay hydrated, if you don't,the nausea will only worsen!! Good luck to you!

Edited by UalreadyKnow

Praise the lord, I am able to eat some low-sugar oatmeal (couldn't find any sugar-free at my grocery store).. added a TINY bit of unflavored Protein powder, and can't taste it at all. This apples & cinnamon is the best thing I've ever had in my life! :D It's watery as crap right now, but whatever I can do to keep it down!

You don't have to mix Protein shakes with milk. You can use Water. Remember any liquids you drink count as Water intake. So just three Protein Shakes will give you a minimum of 24 oz right then and there.

you are not a failure! I also couldn't stomach the shakes while I was on the liquid part of the diet after surgery. I just did what i could and kept drinking Water. I have been eating food now since Sunday and am able to consume 60grams a day by having many small meals. I am only days ahead of you and I feel so much better that I did at your stage. Just hang in there until you are at the next stage and you should feel better.

Good Luck

Foevlo

Even tho the RDs say focus on Protein first when you eat meals, the "protein first" is in regards to eating Protein, carbs, and fat (or protein, veggies, fruit). In the early post-op stage it's more important to stay hydrated and get all your chewable Vitamins and minerals in. If a particular item is making you nauseous, go backwards in the diet stages as necessary and try again later until your nausea is controlled. There's no point in forcing something in if it is too early for your body to handle. The consequence of vomiting will be worse, you don't want to be dehydrated and have electrolyte imbalance. I had my procedure the same day as you and had my first follow up appointment yesterday. I don't feel hunger, and sometimes I don't even want to take sips of my fluids because I feel full or bloated. Try the app Aqualert. There's a free version with ads but I loved it so much I paid $2.99 for the ad free version. You can customize it & it reminds you when you sip. Mine is set up so that from 8 am and 12 am, every 15 minutes it will play a Water sound and I sip 60 ml (2 oz) of Water from my tiny kitchen measuring cups. This greatly helps me stay on track. Sometimes I reach my goal of 64 oz by the evening, sometimes by midnight, and sometimes I don't reach it. Don't beat yourself up. Take the time to be successful in the long term, even if it means short term goals need to be adjusted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

Praise the lord, I am able to eat some low-sugar oatmeal (couldn't find any sugar-free at my grocery store).. added a TINY bit of unflavored Protein powder, and can't taste it at all. This apples & cinnamon is the best thing I've ever had in my life! :D It's watery as crap right now, but whatever I can do to keep it down!

Okay, so here's what got MY stomach working: cream of wheats, it's even more easily digested than oatmeal. You might want to give that a try. In the hospital I couldn't handle the Protein Powder, but at home I put sugar free cocoa powder and chocolate Protein Powder or unflavored to make it cocoa wheats, and I LOVED IT. I drank it super thin, just like you.

About Time Pro Hydrate helped me so much in the first few days after surgery. It's Water with electrolytes and 20 grams of whey Protein isolate. To me it tastes light and helps fulfill both your water and protein goals. The ones I had came in 20 oz bottles and they have a couple of flavors I think, although I just really liked the raspberry lemon personally. Keep at it!

I'm in tears over here. I feel like I'm failing - surgery was 4/18, but I'm not hungry at all, and even trying to drink everything is hurting. I can't stand the powders, they're making me nauseous, even mixed with broth, etc. The pre-mixed Protein shakes hurt me too bad (the dairy). I'm FAR from my water/protein goals & can't stop crying because I just don't know where to go from here. Isopure is disgusting, even tried Syntrax Strawberry/Kiwi this morning mixed with strawberry Vitamin Water Zero, but I can still taste the Protein, and it makes me gag every time I sip on it. I know I wouldn't have a problem if I only had to intake Water, I can sip on that, Decaf tea, Crystal Light, etc all day - but this protein is killing me!

I just feel like a failure, not sure when I should even eat Jello, etc because my stomach is not growling. There is a drink called Protein20 that I recently found at my local QT that is really good, that may be my only option at this point - 15g protein/bottle - tastes WAY better than Isopure. Maybe next week will be better, when I can start scrambled eggs, oatmeal, etc. :(

First week P O i couldnt put anything in my mouth except water, NOTHING ELSE AT ALL, my surgeon said it was ok as long as I have my water in, he was more worried about dehydration than get me protein in at that period of time.

Good luck.

I'm almost 5 wks post op and still struggle with hydration and Protein. Now that I can have soft foods it is easier, but I still don't hit my goal. Isopure, Premier, Unjury powder even broth, made and still do make me nauseous to even think about them. Carnation Instant is tolerable in chocolate, but barely. I did buy some GENEPRO and it works to an extent, but don't believe the hype that there is no taste, BS! I can mix one scoop (30gms of protein) with 1.5oz of cream of wheat or oatmeal and it is doable. I found my Holy Grail about week 2 when my husband brought home a cup of Sonic ice, I chewed on that all day and it was so easy. My freezer has a bag of Sonic ice at all times and all of my drinks have to be ice cold, the least bit warm and I get nauseous. I have frozen Crystal Light drinks as well but they burn the back of my throat so I have stopped those as well. Week two I was where you are, but I wasn't crying, I was furious and cussing like a lunatic. No one tells you that hydration is the most important, all of my manuals say "at least 50gms of Protein and at least 48oz of clear liquid", no options just scare tactics. It is physically impossible for you to get all of that in when your tiny new stomach is so swollen. I understand the importance of protein and hydration, but they need to give you some more realistic guidelines for the first few weeks. It seems some people do it and are able to get all of that in, but in my case, I could not and still struggle.

I love Sonic ice!

Today for Breakfast, I mixed a packet of no-sugar added carnation Breakfast essentials chocolate in a packet of prepared weight control oatmeal and added PB2. It tasted like chocolate Peanut Butter oatmeal drop Cookies.