Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone keep the surgery under wraps?

This is something that I have put a lot of thought into. The physical as well as behaviorial changes will be next to impossible to hide from the people I am around. My immediate family, wife and kids obviously know and need too in order to be part of my ongoing support system.

For the others, I have only told them that I am participating in a medically supervised weight loss program that will result in me loosing alot of weight through eating and behavior changes.

This is actually the truth. I am under medical supervision. I have changed my behavior and also helps explaine the drastic change in eating behavior.

I feel that this is very personal and is no one's business. I only tell people my story because of the outward appearance and eating habit changes. No one has challenged it and all are supportive so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I told a few people before surgery. But i also said that. I wouldn't lie about it either. Im down just over 100 pounds from surgery 6 months ago, its impossible to not get asked how'd you lose so much weight. I decided long ago that i wasn't going to lie about that, if they ask, I mention that i had WLS that has made me change the way I eat. Ive found that to be easier rather than trying to remember who i told about my surgery and who i hadn't. To be honest, Im glad i took this route. Any resistance i got from people was all before surgery. Nobody afterwords has said anything negative about it and actually i may have helped a few. Some people ive spoke to has considered the sleeve after Ive spoke to them and answered their questions.

I have told a few people. I am selective because don't want the negative nellies to tell me I just need to try harder and not cheat by getting surgery. These are the same folks who say I need to whip my son's ass to correct his autism. ( I won't start on that topic because I can rant forever lol ) But I do have a great support system in place. I'm just so ready to get healthy and hopefully drop the diabetes

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

This topic was the primary reason why I put surgery off for so long. I'm just in the beginning stages, but the coordinator said if everything went smoothly I could be looking at a surgery date as early as June! I've only told one very close friend. I think my mom will be the hardest person to keep it from, and will be the most hurt if she finds out. I'm not one to lie, but my mother is a typical nosey Italian mom, so not only is she a gossip queen, but if I tell her I'm sure to be receiving emails with links to all things WLS [emoji849] We live in different states so we don't see each other but a couple times a year. Still haven't decided what to do.

It's a hard decision. I hope if you tell her she's supportive. :)

The only people that know that I will be doing VSG are my husband, my mom, dad and sister. Thankfully, my parents and sister support my decision and agree with me to keep this between us. My mom is my biggest cheerleader and she even wants me to stay with her the first week so she can help me. I'm having a hard time getting my husband on board. He doesn't understand why can't I just do it the nonsurgical way. Hopefully I get him on board by the time my surgery date approaches. At the end of the day, I have to do this for myself. I must say, if I didn't have support, I probably wouldn't have gone through with this. With that said, tell at least one person. Support is needed during this journey.

Sent from my SM-T550 using the BariatricPal App

I agree support is needed. It's a huge journey and I fully believe I will need help (I have 2 small kids haha) My mom and husband and ome cousin know. I asked my mom to not tell anyone. But she said she couldnt do that, she couldnt lie for me. :(

This is something that I have put a lot of thought into. The physical as well as behaviorial changes will be next to impossible to hide from the people I am around. My immediate family, wife and kids obviously know and need too in order to be part of my ongoing support system.

For the others, I have only told them that I am participating in a medically supervised weight loss program that will result in me loosing alot of weight through eating and behavior changes.

This is actually the truth. I am under medical supervision. I have changed my behavior and also helps explaine the drastic change in eating behavior.

I feel that this is very personal and is no one's business. I only tell people my story because of the outward appearance and eating habit changes. No one has challenged it and all are supportive so far.

I like that way of explaining it. You're sharing just what they would need to know. And keeping your personal stuff personal! Thanks!!

Debby. Support is paramount. I am a proud man and do not lean or rely on people very often but for this it was needed. I have met several others who have made this decision and have already been through it. They, along with my wife have been my rocks. I never thought I needed anyone other than myself but this journey has shown me the truth.

I have told a few people. I am selective because don't want the negative nellies to tell me I just need to try harder and not cheat by getting surgery. These are the same folks who say I need to whip my son's ass to correct his autism. ( I won't start on that topic because I can rant forever lol ) But I do have a great support system in place. I'm just so ready to get healthy and hopefully drop the diabetes

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Aww. I won't start on either of those or I will also rant. Sometimes people are just

I am glad you have a great support system. :)

I like that way of explaining it. You're sharing just what they would need to know. And keeping your personal stuff personal! Thanks!!
Thanks, I struggled with what to tell and how while still protecting my privacy. In time I may open up more but for now I need to focus on me and my journey. I am 6 days from my surgery and it's hitting me hard. I know that the last thing I need right now is any negativity or questions about my decision.

Bottom line is its MY decision I have made for ME. I am keeping it positive and keeping the goal in sight. Time will tell if I open up to others later on.

I went publicly with close friends and family, then to everyone I know on my private FB, and then full publicly with my own blog page on FB (search link in signature below). The support has been beyond overwhelming and supportive. Friends, family and strangers cheering me on from all corners of the world. It's super empowering to know that, that many people want to see you succeed. Hopefully my 2nd attempt at surgery will come in late May, early-mid June. I have one more nutritionist consult on May 10th and then it should be go time.

You have to feel comfortable with going public, but what I can say is that it's very motivating and empowering. At least for me it has been and continues to be.

Best of luck to you all!!

Debby. Support is paramount. I am a proud man and do not lean or rely on people very often but for this it was needed. I have met several others who have made this decision and have already been through it. They, along with my wife have been my rocks. I never thought I needed anyone other than myself but this journey has shown me the truth.

I can relate with you 100% @@bdejong

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

I only told my mother, father, little sister, my boyfriend and his mother and father. I don't feel like it's anyone else business what I do with my body. I did tell one of my female friends whom had already had the sleeve surgery because I know she can relate. For everyone else, I don't feel like constantly having to explain myself and everyone thinking I am taking the easy way out. It's a tool, not an easy button but not everyone else understands that. They think you haven't tried every other non surgical method out there.

My supportive husband and parents are the only ones besides the surgical team and my physicians who know I've had surgery, and I have no intention of disclosing it to anyone else. I'm a professor so I had the surgery over the summer before the autumn quarter began to avoid needing to take time off of work. Having the surgery is not a decision I regret at all or am embarrassed by; I'm simply a private person. I actually had the surgery primarily with the hope it will help with fertility, at the suggestion of my reproductive endocrinologist who has other patients my age (early 30s) and size (low 30s / size 14 at the time) who've conceived after having the VSG. I've tried to keep fertility issues private, but people perpetually ask about when we'll have children, and if they pick up that we've had difficulty will offer unsolicited advice or give undesired pity. I think the same people would also give unsolicited advice and suggestions if I'd told them about my surgery beforehand, or want to critique my choice if they found out afterwards. When they ask how I've lost weight I simply tell them it's been through tracking what I eat on MyFitnessPal, getting a bike and using it daily, and working out to Daily Burn exercise videos, which is the truth. I think everyone should feel at liberty to keep their surgery private or disclose to others as they wish.