Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

too bad no drinkers ever answer it's question.. it's always somewhat judgy when people respond to this question. i would also like to know, as I plan to drink still when I'm further out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Do you drink? Why didn't you answer the question then.

Sent from my SM-G920I using the BariatricPal App

because I'm only 3 weeks out so I obviously can't answer it yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all for the responses and being honest. I really appreciate it. I was a beer drinker but will not be drinking that anymore because of the carbonation. If I do decide to drink I'm pretty sure it's going to be white wine. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

I had tequila a couple months out (it was fine, my tolerance has changed greatly). I drink once every 2-3 months and just avoid carbonated drinks. Keep in mind the calories if you plan to indulge and don't make a habit of it because addictions can transfer. I would advise waiting until 6 months though, purely from a wound healing perspective.

Edited by siddarhi

I had my first drink at 6 months out. I enjoy 5 calories cranberry with vodka . The calories are not to bad. Oh and enjoy crown reserve with water..

Edited by libby43

@@tony031469 - Your relationship with this drug will be different. Drinking before you get to goal will stall your progress. Proceed with extreme caution.

So first let me say that I have no moral objections to a drink and have the occasional beer or wine myself.

The point I'd like to make though is that there were numerous articles about 5-10 years ago touting the health benefits of moderate drinking, mostly around reduced cardiovascular risk. There have been more studies and more analysis of the data since then, and the revised guidance is that for optimal overall health anyway, alcohol shouldn't be part of your program. You might drink because you like the taste of course, but it doesn't make sense to drink with the goal of improving your health.

I mentioned to my surgeon that I was going to prague 5 1/2 weeks sfter surgery and plan on having some drinks. He was just there and said that It is the beer capital of Europe, which is a shame, since I should avoid carbonation, and probably stick with white wine and Vodka, with zero cal mixers. said I could taste the beer, but not really drink it, a little bummed. Probably should have waited til after the trip!!!!

You guys are lucky, my surgeon told me no more alcohol, ever. Not 6 weeks out, not 6 months out, never.

I had told him about a couple trips I have coming up and how I wanted to reach my goal before them if possible. He'd asked if I drank, which the answer was yes... Occasionally... He said never again. Didn't ask what, but completely shut it down instead.

Sorry for the rant, but even though I don't drink often, to have the option taken away was a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone

My Doc allows drinks after 6 mos. I actually cheated and had a glass of wine at 6 weeks out at Thanksgiving. I only drink wine, but strangely enough it has no effect on me. I think I'm definitely in the minority with that. I don't really have the desire to drink, but I still want to be social. I've never had more than 2 glasses in a day since surgery which is one of my Docs rules as well. At my psych eval he told me hard liquor is actually best for sleeves. I just don't like the taste.

You guys are lucky, my surgeon told me no more alcohol, ever. Not 6 weeks out, not 6 months out, never.

I had told him about a couple trips I have coming up and how I wanted to reach my goal before them if possible. He'd asked if I drank, which the answer was yes... Occasionally... He said never again. Didn't ask what, but completely shut it down instead.

Sorry for the rant, but even though I don't drink often, to have the option taken away was a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone

How far out are you? This is your surgeon, whose advice is important, but your success is up to you. You are an adult, and you make your own choices. We all know that there are many, many variations on postop guidelines. The farther out from surgery you are, the more your choices are on you.

I started very small sips of wine at about 3 months out, about 1/2 glass at 4-5 months out, 6 months and I can have a glass or two. I could have more but I choose not to. Also be careful of "crossover addictions".

@ 2GoldenGirl, I was sleeved on March 1st, and the first trip I have is at the end of August. My surgeon was asking about it at my 4 week follow-up and insisted I not drink.

I can see why though... Currently I'm almost 7 weeks out and still mostly on purréd and liquids. He'd rather I be on soft foods but my body just can't handle them.

Sent from my iPhone

I am about 2 1/2 months out and have had a couple of drinks here and there. Usually Vodka (I didn't like anything sweet). I still log it on my fitness pal. I have not experienced any decrease in weight loss. I am conscious of the calories associated and if I felt like my weight loss was suffering as a result I would stop immediately.

My surgeon told me to wait 3 months if I wanted to try again, he told me that a glass of wine wouldn't hurt but that I should not make an habit out of it.

On the other hand, my mother also had a sleeve and she has a glass or two per week, in summer she sometimes has a beer (low carbonated flemish style beer).

I personally plan on waiting till the end of June, some friends from abroad are coming to visit and I'll surely have a glass of sangria or a sip of beer... But I actually don't miss so far, which is rather impressive since I used to drink a lot every weekend!

I used to love gin and tonic, it was my absolute favourite drink. I tried it 6 months out and after one little sip I knew I would not be able to drink it again. The tonic is the problem as it is fizzy. Never liked gin with flat tonic so now I have a glass of red wine maybe once a week. To be honest if I never drink again it would be no big deal. Its mostly other folk who don't like it if you don't or wont have a drink with them.