Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If insulting people changed behavior, I would have been thin a long time ago. ;)

But yeah, we all make choices, and unhealthy foods are a part of life. Most days, I eat my 1000 calories and get all my Protein in, avoiding carbs and sugar. Last night, I went to a really special dinner. I knew I'd be eating unhealthy food, so I limited what I ate earlier in the day, so I could have wine and tiramisu without feeling guilty. Before the surgery, no way could I have done that. And to go around telling me I'm doomed to failure because I eat cake is stupid and untrue.

Please get control of yourself, SteveHud.

If insulting people changed behavior, I would have been thin a long time ago. ;)

But yeah, we all make choices, and unhealthy foods are a part of life. Most days, I eat my 1000 calories and get all my Protein in, avoiding carbs and sugar. Last night, I went to a really special dinner. I knew I'd be eating unhealthy food, so I limited what I ate earlier in the day, so I could have wine and tiramisu without feeling guilty. Before the surgery, no way could I have done that. And to go around telling me I'm doomed to failure because I eat cake is stupid and untrue.

Please get control of yourself, SteveHud.

maam no where did i say eating cake once and working it into your dail;y routine is bad. i said eating cake in moderation will get you moderately fat. and thats the truth,. no one is perfect that is for sure if i was perfect i would have never been fat for 40 years. The problem i have is when people tell other people to go ahead and go against their surgeons or nutritionists guidelines and tell them its okay to do this or that because it isnt. All people are doing is enabling bad behaviors that lead to failure. Will one night of eating cake cause you to fail, of course not. but eating cake here and there becomes eating cake once a week and then twice and then youre back where you started and I wish no one the horror of going through this and failing. I want every single one of us to succeed beyond their wildest dreams. You as well. its not bullying to say you have to do this forever, its not bullying to say, you shouldn't be downing glasses of guinness on a daily basis if you want to not be fat. No, far from it, all i want is for you and everyone else here to have the best chance at , making a change that truly alters your life.

I'm 1 year 2 months since my surgery and have not really thought much about drinking. The only time it comes up for me is at special occasions, holidays, etc. I usually substitute something non-alcoholic and once the event passes, no one thinks about whether I had a glass of wine or a beer or anything. I'm not opposed to drinking, but it doesn't really come up very much. And the few times where drinking would be appropriate, there are usually substitutes.

I'm sure my response will not be received well but here we go. I lost 175lb on weightwatchers back in 2006 kept it off for 8 years. Totally changed my lifestyle eating and had a complete cessation of alcohol. I sustained an injury where I was non-weight bearing, not working for 8 months and although I still was on weightwatchers I gained 80lb being stuck at home. I decided to go in the direction of the sleeve I've almost lost 100lb in 7 months but I refuse to fall back into complacency. In my personal opinion anyone that makes the decision to drink after this surgery is setting the pattern for failure. Why on earth would you fuel your body with non-nutritional riddled with sugar liquids? And in my personal experience the sleeve is so much easier to lose weight than weight watchers was. Did I experience uncomfortable situations after the sleeve ? Yes but I was considerably more accountable doing it all on my own with weight watchers. It's all about priorities and honesty.

@@con con

So by your own admission alcohol had nothing to do with your weight regain before?

You chose to abstain. That's awesome. Some choose not to and embibe in moderation. That's awesome, too. What works for you isn't exactly what works for everyone else.

You do you.

@Stevehud. No one indicated they were "downing" a Guinness every day. There was nothing that deserved your reaction. I understand where you are coming from - but I would urge you to read posts in full before calling us deranged and basically saying we are idiots. There's nothing in your posts that make me want to listen to what you have to say - and I'm sure you could provide helpful info.

Wow..... Just wow..... I've only been on this site for a week. I'm amazed by the NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN attitude of some people.... If you watch thin people, they eat carbs, fruits, enjoy a drink now and combine it with a healthy amount of exercise. It's all moderation. Not living off Protein shakes and sugar free Jello. Initially is that what needs to be done to get the weight off? Yes. But after reaching a goal, isn't the REAL goal to lead a healthy life that includes nutritious, real foods that may include a glass of wine? I read the back of my Protein Shakes and shudder. It's all chemicals and crap. Oh so back to the point.... A nice glass of white. Grapes and Mother Nature. I. Can't. Wait!!!! Oh and good for you fancystephanie- it sounds like you have got the moderation thing all figured out. Yey!!!!

Ok I'm done.... Fire away!!!! :) :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow..... Just wow..... I've only been on this site for a week. I'm amazed by the NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN attitude of some people.... If you watch thin people, they eat carbs, fruits, enjoy a drink now and combine it with a healthy amount of exercise. It's all moderation. Not living off Protein shakes and sugar free Jello. Initially is that what needs to be done to get the weight off? Yes. But after reaching a goal, isn't the REAL goal to lead a healthy life that includes nutritious, real foods that may include a glass of wine? I read the back of my Protein Shakes and shudder. It's all chemicals and crap. Oh so back to the point.... A nice glass of white. Grapes and Mother Nature. I. Can't. Wait!!!! Oh and good for you fancystephanie- it sounds like you have got the moderation thing all figured out. Yey!!!!

Ok I'm done.... Fire away!!!! :) :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

And I'm with you. However, I do understand that there are "all or nothing" people for whom moderation in all things isn't wise - moderation in some things, and abstention in others, works better for them.

The truth for us all is that we can't ever return to the kinds of patterns we had preop, those are what got us here in the first place. But I think what we all hope when we sign up for surgery is that choice will replace compulsion. I think we'd all like to get to the place that so many of the veterans here have done - food no longer rules their lives, it's merely incorporated into an overall healthier set of choices.

I don't think anyone here wants to be castigated for their choices. We're all here learning how to live with our decision to have WLS, or the reality of our post-WLS lives. Speaking only for myself, I have to take it one choice at a time right now. Will I have a glass of wine someday? I fully expect to. But I don't know yet when that will be. I don't have to decide that right now.

For me alcohol was never a trigger nor was it the reason for my obesity. I had 1 drink a week before WLS and intend with my surgeons approval to continue that. I can't count how many times in my life I heard the expression "everything in moderation". It's something I believe but was never capable of. My 1 scoop of ice cream always managed to become 3 scoops with 400 calories worth of toppings. WLS has forced me to change the way I live my life and I couldn't be happier about it.

Not all of us got fat from the same things. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a piece of cake but yup - I'm fat! If I decided to have a piece of cake after WLS it doesn't mean I'm headed down the path of sugar addiction and will derail my weight loss. If you can't have something in moderation - then that's YOU - not every other fat person. We all have our own crosses to bear but don't assume because we are all fat means we have the same issues. To basically attack others because they don't follow your plan isn't they way to educate. Berating others doesn't help to make them successful!

Correct no alcohol has to deal with common sense snd intelligence which is obviously lacking here . A severe debilitating injury was the cause of my weight gain.

LOL!

For those relatively new to this site, every thread here about alcohol turns into a pissing contest.

And this thread is well on its way to the same destination.

Carry on ....

Not all of us got fat from the same things. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a piece of cake but yup - I'm fat! If I decided to have a piece of cake after WLS it doesn't mean I'm headed down the path of sugar addiction and will derail my weight loss. If you can't have something in moderation - then that's YOU - not every other fat person. We all have our own crosses to bear but don't assume because we are all fat means we have the same issues. To basically attack others because they don't follow your plan isn't they way to educate. Berating others doesn't help to make them successful!

neither does coddling them.

Look if you want to drink and eat sweets and cheat and everything while your in your honeymoon, go for it. good luck with your weight loss, while i want you to succeed all the advice in the world is nothing if you don't make the effort.

Here's the single issue i have seen hundreds of posts on here from people going in the wrong direction, and wondering why. they hit a big 3 or 4 month stall and the pounds creep back in and they wonder why. Well maybe you understand now that this isnt a part time thing.

This is a lifetime journey, and you don't get to go back and pull a do over.

So its fine to not listen to me or think im being mean. but if one person out there, just one person for one second re-thinks screwing up THEIR journey, then its all worth it. I will say this and i damn well mean it. If you succeed, its because of you , and if you fail at this. you will have no one else to blame but yourself, not genetics, not addictions, not a bad childhood, you will have been given a second chance, , please dont fail.

Please.