Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your "Yep. I'm getting WLS." moment?

In my own experience, I didn’t have that many stressful delays or barriers compared to some WLS patients. Maybe it was because this was over 10 years ago, or maybe it was because I was too young to get anxious or discouraged (I was in my mid-20s), or maybe it was because I got lucky. It was probably because I was lucky; nobody and nothing really stood in my way.

The way I remember it, I decided to get weight loss surgery after I found out that a formerly obese friend had gotten the lap-band and it worked for him. I made up my mind, found a great surgeon, and got my band. I didn’t have any real setbacks, so I guess as soon as I decided to get the band, that was my “Yep, I’m getting WLS!” moment.

It sure felt good to know I may not need to spend the rest of my life fighting food.

I've delayed responding to this because there was not a single moment in which the heavens parted, angels sang, and a banner unfurled with the words, "I choose WLS!"

I finally chose WLS because I'd exhausted every other weight loss / weight maintenance option. WLS was the only thing I hadn't done. I finally chose the last door.

My foundational decision is that I simply refused to die fat. And now I won't!

:)

It was a lady who I went out with a few times. She basically let me know that she wasn't interested in dating a fat guy. So I started weight watchers again, and then I heard a pod cast where they got into a discussion of how hard it was to lose weight and they stated WW sucuess rate was about 8% or less but WLS was 80%. I remember say "BS" but I looked it up and dang if it wasn't true. I spent two weeks looking into it and realized this was for me. Had it done on election day 2014 and have been enjoying the new me ever since.

I really am "the odd one out". I was probably the happiest fat woman on the planet. I knew no other way of life.

My great grandfather weighed 450#, my grandmother tipped the scales at 300# and my mother weighed 350#. I always believed that that was "normal" for some of us folks.

I can't think of too many things that I couldn't do if I really wanted to do it. (I never gave much thought to becoming a ballerina or a jockey so they don't count :) ). I played competitive baseball, played classical cornet, raised, groomed and showed, and judged standard poodles, skied, skated, traveled extensively to judge dog shows, and of course my beloved surf fishing. Really, if I wanted to do it, I did it.

It wasn't until I was diagnosed with DJD, RA, DO and Fibromyalgia, had a knee replace and spinal surgery (all in the same year) that my body FINALLY convinced my mind that "something had to go---weight".

Do I regret my WLS? By no means! Having less weight on my bones is keeping me upright and moving. Can I still do half of the things I could do before? No. Has having WLS cost me more than I thought I would ever be willing to sacrifice? yep. However, given the choice of losing weight or ending up bedridden--well I guess that comes under the category of a "no brainer".

I feel wonderful physically. My grown daughters say I look "maavelous" ( Sweet girls :) ). I'm vertical and I'm moving.

But boy to I miss the "good ol' days", the love of my life, John-- ya know--way back when I was "fat and happy"

@@Valentina What can you not do that you did before? What did you sacrifice? Any of the activities you mentioned?

I'm curious! :)

What did I sacrifice? A life with my soul mate, John. He was sooo opposed to me having WLS that he committed suicide the morning of my surgery. I miss him every second of every day.

The moral of my story:

PLEASE do everything you can and then some more to make your S.O.ers "comfortable" with your WLS. They really deserve have a chance to voice their opinion/objection/enthusiasm. After all, they are your "partner", right? I strongly believe that one's S.O. should have a mental evaluation, just like ours before WLS. What harm could it do? ----and if having an eval can make it easier for them to wrap their heads around you WLS. I really believe that our SO's have a right to be heard--their fears, their expectations, their dreams.

On this day---my opinion.

Valentina

I never expected so many people to share their stories. I've LOVED reading every one of your stories. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started closed captioning in December, 2014. I began covering high school football games in September of 2015. Hearing over and over and over again how "big" and "huge" and "intimidating" these 6'2'-6'4" players were -- at 220-240 lbs, tops, when I'm shorter than they are and weight 40-50 lbs more than them -- it got old, real quick. Every damn time they said it, I cringed inside.

All the other things people mentioned, too, played a factor, but football did me in.

This is a great thread. Mine was last summer- touring college campuses with my oldest, I was unable to walk the tours with him. It was the saddest thing ever. I saw a few things but basically waited for them to come back , sitting in my car or in a bench. Never again! I have two more headed off in the next four years and I WILL walk the tours with them.

My surgery was 3 weeks ago. I'm waking 4-5 miles a day already. And next fall when we drop him off I intend to walk that campus and enjoy those moments with him!

Valentina I can't even begin to imagine what you have been through but I am sorry for those terrible circumstances. I think you have so much to offer to us that are getting ready to go through with surgery and am very grateful for your willingness to share. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When the man that lives in the apartment below me went to the office and filed a complaint that every time I walk around it sounds like I am throwing bowling balls on the ground and about to come through the ceiling. I woke up to an eviction notice on my door if I didn't "resolve the issue within 14 days". I was so embarrassed and humiliated. I walk around softly and barefoot, and have large rugs to hopefully avoid being loud and still was complained on. Even though I feel he was exaggerating a bit, that was one of my many moments that lets me know I need to do this.

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by tiffanymarie6997

My "Ah-Ha!" moment was when I gained weight rapidly after meeting my now boyfriend. I haven't always been big. I wasn't super skinny but I had curves and a healthy BMI. It wasn't until Mid last year that I started gaining. Many things factor in though.

The fact that I can no longer fit in my size 10 jeans that I fit in last year. Matter of fact, none of my clothes fit me anymore. Ive had to buy jeans just because of the weight gain. I feel super uncomfortable and miserable daily because I am not myself. I also don't feel its fair to my SO that I have let my weight get out of control. He loves me regardless and doesn't want me to get WLS but I want to be the same person he met a year ago physically. The weight gain has change my mood considerably, as well.

So I guess to pinpoint my moment id say it was when I didn't feel like myself anymore.

When my heart stopped in the er and my family pleaded with me to live. My daughter was pregnant with my first granddaughter so first I stopped a 35 year habit of smoking and saw the surgeon.

I struggled with my weight all my life. I was in a way lucky i guess, i can only count on one hand when i was depressed about the way i looked. I always had boyfriends, many friends around me, and i really loved my self. I tried all sorts of diets, i was on the basketball team, cheerleading, i swam, but i would never get smaller.

When i got pregnant i gained 60lb, i didn't feel sick, didn't throw up even once. I was about 280 at the beginning of my pregnancy by the time i had my son i was close to 345lb. I lost about 25 lb in the next 3 years. I have a husband who loves the way i am, a healthy baby boy, no health issues no sleep apnea, i ran a 5k last year, but when I go to the park with my son i cant go down the slides with him, i cant go on rides with him at the amusement parks. That was my break point, that is when i realized that i need to get this surgery because no matter how active i would stay, how many times a week i go to the gym it will not change the way I eat, or how much food i can eat. This is my only option.

I am on the liquid diet today, and tomorrow at 7:30 am my life is going to change. I am having gastric bypass tomorrow.

I cant wait for this to change my life, i don't know how i look like under 250lb, i CANT WAIT to see myself after a few month. I am doing it for myself, but my biggest inspiration my determination is my little monkey.

Dasha

When the man that lives in the apartment below me went to the office and filed a complaint that every time I walk around it sounds like I am throwing bowling balls on the ground and about to come through the ceiling. I woke up to an eviction notice on my door if I didn't "resolve the issue within 14 days". I was so embarrassed and humiliated. I walk around softly and barefoot, and have large rugs to hopefully avoid being loud and still was complained on. Even though I feel he was exaggerating a bit, that was one of my many moments that lets me know I need to do this.

Aw, Thats sad! Sorry you went through that. Only good thing was it inspired you to get healthy. I know we have all had moments likes these. Use it as motivation :D

Aw, Thats sad! Sorry you went through that. Only good thing was it inspired you to get healthy. I know we have all had moments likes these. Use it as motivation :D

My "yep that's it I'm done" moment was last August when my parents both landed in the hospital because of complications from obesity within 24 hrs of each other. I am an only child and I needed to take care of both of them.

My dad survived my mom didnt. I remember the last concious conversation I had with my mom. She told me not to come back to the hospital unless I brought her a root beer float. Her food addiction was so out of control when the hospital put her on a limited diet to save her life she decided she would rather die than use a use a tool to help her live.

I remember sitting in the waiting room watching my daughter play, praying my mom would change her mind and ask for us. I realized in that moment I had allowed my mother's food addiction to be an excuse why I was eating the wrong things. I realized in that moment I had a choice. I could continue down the same path or I could do something to guarantee my daughter wouldn't be sitting in a waiting room 25 years from now with her daughter.

That night I signed up and finally got in the program this past Feb and will have surgery in October

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App

We had that happen to my brother in law. It is embarrassing. I am so sorry you had that happen. It's one reason why I didn't want to live in an upstairs apartment. I didn't want to deal with people below us. We used to live in an upstairs apartment and the pure fear of the downstairs neighbors hearing us kept be from being intimate with my husband for years. Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App