Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your "Yep. I'm getting WLS." moment?

One Sunday, when I was so disgusted with my weight and inability to even walk around in church, I went to the Lord and asked which diet would be the best and most effective for me. Should I do the Adkins, or the Paleo, or maybe the South Beach? Maybe Weight Watchers AGAIN? As I kept my mind and heart open to an answer over the next few days, the distinct thought came to me..."You need to have bariatric surgery". Now, I hadn't even included surgery in my thoughts and prayers because I felt like it was "cheating" so this came as a surprise to me. That was when I knew what I was supposed to do and I have never had any second thoughts or doubts. When I would feel myself get nervous, just remembering that God directed me to this would calm my fears. That's not to say I wasn't a nervous wreck on the day of surgery, but I always knew it was what I was supposed to do and things would turn out fine. They have!

for me, it was seeing myself on video interacting with others..I almost didn't recognize myself. I kept thinking, is this how I walk? breath? look? every year I've been growing more and more uncomfortable in my body. I remember in 2010 going to the doctor and joking with the nurse that I was a taco or two from being 200 pounds. (I'm 4'11 & I was 175 then. I'm 221 pounds now)

I'd tried to lose weight on my own, I've tried every diet under the sun..even went vegan for 6 months...lost weight but it was little and it came back with a vengeance. I was so desperate, my joints ached, I was on medication and the symptoms for PCOS were relentless. I had actually googled how to be successful at bullemia and when I did an ad popped up for my local bariatric surgeons office..I clicked the link and started the process. It's the tool that I need. I've spent the last 8 months educating myself and preparing for a huge lifestyle change. My pre op diet begins in 3 wks.

for me, it was seeing myself on video interacting with others..I almost didn't recognize myself. I kept thinking, is this how I walk? breath? look?

Funny you mention the breathing. Yesterday when looking at my FB memories from last year I watched a video I had posted of my dogs. All I could hear was my heavy breathing. I was humiliated that I didn't realize that I was so out of shape just standing there I sounded like I ran a marathon. I would have muted it before posting if I had known! I had no idea that's how I sound breathing!

Finding out my insurance would pay. I had looked into it years ago, but ins would never pay. When it changed, I called immediately.

A few years earlier, my mom had passed due to heart failure due to a heart attack she'd had after struggling with high blood pressure. She, like me, had gone up and down with her weight her whole life.

It was when my blood pressure read 159/96 I'd decided I was not going to die at 69 like my mom had if I could help it.

The rest is history. I plan to be the one to break the cycle of relatively early death that runs in my family.

It's almost as if you wrote "my story". My mom was 68 when she passed away. She was a very old 68!

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

When I came to grips with the reality that I can't lose the weight and keep it off on my own.

I was Reffing a Wrestling match and dropped down to check for the pin, and didn't think I was going to get back up. I was drenched in sweat and everyone thought I was gonna pass out

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

This may sound shallow but my absolute final straw was when my shoe size went up and wider. It's been building obviously for years, diabetes, loss of ability to do sports. Unable to keep any weight off. But the shoe thing set me off more determined than ever. It's funny how a little thing can just tip the balance

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App