Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Awful looks

Nothing

Edited by alikelley

Gee, that's too bad. That's not an attitude you will find here. There are people here who started at all sizes, and we get along fine. :)

Lots of folks here were around your size when we started out.

FYI, I am 5'5" and was 235 at my highest and 216 surgery day (after putting myself on a diet for 2 months and then going on my surgeons 2-week diet). I have lost a total of 100 pounds and now weigh 135 pounds.

P.S. Many WLS patients report that, after announcing they are going to undergo WLS, they receive the nastiest treatment from other obese people. So you're not alone.

My stats are close to yours, and when I was doing my preop tests the other people there doing their testing almost ignored me when I tried to talk with them about our upcoming surgerys....

I also know people who have had it done who probably are trying to get to my pre weight and act like I wasn't big enough to have it done.. Everyone's journeys different I just try to not be as judge mental as they are!

It is important to take a good before photograph so you can compare it with your after photograph. Don't just rely on the photographs the surgeon's office take. Many of us do not really look at ourselves prior to surgery and it is hard to see the weight we have lost in the process. I have very few photographs of myself because I am the photographer in the family.

I feel the same. Last time I was at the doctors I was the smallest in the waiting room. I walk with a cane due to severe back injury and I did get some nasty looks. 2 people were in hover round things. I just shrugged it off. I'm not there for them, I'm there for me.

Stop worrying about what other people may think. Focus that energy on yourself. Be selfish! It's all about you. You won't have to see those people ever again so the hell with them. Stay focused! Get use to the attention, there's more where that came from along the road.

My stats were very close to yours. 5'1' and 213 at my high. That put my BMI @. 41 or 42. I felt awkward at my doctors support group meetings. No mean looks because it was a mix and and post op people and people did not assume I was prep. I realized how bad and sick morbid obesity could get. I assumed without intervention I would in as bad shape as many of the other participants since most of them were older and the weight related illness were starting to pile up. So that experience made me realize I was making the right decision. Ignore their looks. You have every right to be there. This is about your long term health and longevity.

Maybe them ignoring you or giving you mean looks has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them. Apparently I have a resting b*tch face that makes approaching me scary. I am fine with this. I've been thin and I've been fat and I have never been friendly. I don't make eye contact, I don't talk to people, and it annoys the cr*p out of me when people have to initiate conversation when none is needed. Apparently the first time I met the girl who is one of my best friends I totally blew her off. I don't even remember having met her at that point. I don't like people who try to be my friend and I tend to sit in the back of the room and stay quiet. If I don't talk to you or make friendly faces it has 100% nothing to do with you and everything to do with the fact that I don't like people. Many overweight people developed this distancing method because if we reject others, then no one gets to reject us first. I think I've always been like this, but I can certainly see that the times that I was fat this was a huge insulating mechanism for me because if I wasn't trying to be friendly to anyone, no one was going to be mean to me.

On another note, why do you care? Who gives a crap if no one likes you? The more often you enter a room not caring if people like you and not trying to make friends, the more likely you are too find genuine friendships. Everyone is superficially friendly, but if you can get the aloof person to sincerely like you, because you left them alone and didn't try to be their bestie, you know that it is because they want to be talking to you, not because they feel forced to by polite convention.

I find the older I get the less I give a crap what people think. Depending on the situation I may have even asked why they are looking at me that way. I have legitimate issues too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@AvaFern ROTFLMAO....resting b¡tch face!

I am not a smiley type person and that is a great description. People think I am mad when because I don't smile all the time

I feel like Forrest Gump if I try to fake smile all day, just not me.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

How do you know what they were thinking?

Did you make an effort to talk to anyone?

It must be my age but I tend to try to think the best about most people until I have evidence to the contrary. Maybe I'm self-centered, too, but I can't imagine assuming other people are thinking anything but good thoughts about me. If not, it is their issue, not mine.

You might be reading too much into this. I have a sis your height, slight build and she's really big at 180-200#. I dunno, I was so miserable under all that fat I didn't care much about what others looked like....but that's just me.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

Got the same looks..I am 5'10" 240...but what they dont know is I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and kidney problems.

Screw them and their judgemental looks.