Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not telling anyone about their surgery?

I'm just getting started but only my mom and husband know and that's the only people I plan to tell. I may change my mind once I actually have surgery and start losing, but for now I figure it's no one's business. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using the BariatricPal App

I wanted to tell no one, but because I have to use EIB and work in a small department, everyone knows. The naysayers have already started in on me, and I haven't had the surgery yet.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Jlnaron, just ignore them. They are probably uneducated and have NO idea, and are too ignorant to learn. You will show them when you feel and look fabulous.

I have family members that are not being very supportive. I am using them as my motivation...I will use them and anyone else...they will be the ones left looking like fools while I look amazing!

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

Some people hate on what they don't understand and also on what they don't have the courage to do themselves. Most people's judgements come out in cover up of their own insecurities. Take it in stride and go on with your bad self. Lol we got this!!!

Edited by taramarie523

I didn't tell anyone except my spouse, my immediate boss, my big boss, and one guy at work that just had it done. I am not keeping it a secret once it is done, cause I really don't care, I just don't want to listen to the BS for several months leading up to it.

Exactly once it's done tell who you want but leading up lol When's your date?

I have finished everything, and I am waiting for confirmation BUT my surgery is tentatively scheduled for 5/9. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed, it's no secret that I eat like an uncontrollable animal ????

Edited by Seagull

Gallbladder removal is what I tell most people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've only told a very select group, not even my brother knows, and neither does my best friend as even though I love her dearly I know she would tell someone. Helps that she lives 3 hours away from me.

I had started losing weight in December and people at work were noticing before I had my surgery (3weeks post op now) and I was truthful and said I was being careful with what I ate and trying to eat less, so that story can still continue.

I just told people I was having surgery, a few tries to pry and ask "is everything ok?" Hoping I'd spill the Beans, but I'd just smile and say yes it will be thanks. That closed the door on any further conversation about it. My surgeon found a hernia and repaired it whilst I was under, so I will be able to use that as my story if I really am pressed to. And we have a big family wedding coming up at end of April, I've opted for the vegetarian option, and when I don't eat a lot of it I'll just say I'm not feeling 100% I have a bit of a funny tummy and hope for the best! Lol

The reasons I didn't want to tell anyone was really, it's none of their business, I didn't want judgment from people (I got it from my mum lol even though her heart was in the right place) and I also didn't want the pressure from everyone and this expectation. The few that do know, consistently ask how much I've lost, and I know they are pleased for me, but I couldn't handle everyone asking me that. Thankfully only 10 people including my parents know.

Each persons story is different and each of us has to do what will work best for us. Sometimes less is more when it comes to other ppl

And your business.

I have to say thank you so much to everyone with all their feedback. It's great to know your not the only one. xoxo

I'm telling everybody!!!! First because I don't care what anyone thinks or feels about me! This is my health and life. Second, I feel like there will be people holding me accountable for what I eat or don't eat. Third, my support system is everywhere, I can't escape it! It is a very personal choice if and who you tell. Just stay strong, be honest with yourself, and love yourself first and foremost! I am blessed to have the total support of my family, friends and coworkers! Best wishes to all of you!! ????????????

Sent from my SM-T350 using the BariatricPal App

Always a hot topic! My suggestion is to keep it to yourself until you are absolutely sure wether you want to share it! You cannot un-tell it once it's told! I did not tell anyone, and I don't plan to. I'm a very private person, in every aspect of my life, so not sharing this is nothing new.

I have a very big family, and everyone is always in everyone else's business, and food is the center of most gatherings, so I can relate. When I was only a few weeks post op, I was selective about what events I attended. When I did attend, the focus was not on me, or what I ate. I was mindful to pay attention to others (to note whether they were watching me), but I was able to do that without being noticed. I did that to ensure there was no unwanted attention on my eating habits, and there wasn't. I also moved around and socialized with everyone as much as I could, so it looked like I was eating on the go, and I didn't appear to not be eating.

What helped me more than anything was the truth though. I had started my healthy eating prior to the procedure, and that part wasn't a secret. When I attend functions, I'm eating less, and folks are not surprised that I'm not eating like I use to. Even when people try to get me to eat things I can't, shouldn't, or don't want to, I tell them I'm not eating stuff like that anymore. They attribute it to my healthier eating. I would however, suggest that while you're on liquids at least, you avoid big functions because that will be more dufficult to explain away. I didn't go to any functions during my liquid stage.

Good luck on your journey!

Yes the liquid stage may be difficult to attend functions. However I know last year 2 different cousins had no solid food at Easter dinner bc they were doing that Isagenix stuff. They just had their shakes. So I could just stick to "its my cleanse day" no solids for me as they did.

Slim shady awesome post thank you for your feedback. It's in fact the truth that our lifestyle changes this surgery is the tool to get us there.

Edited by taramarie523