Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've really had great results with Quest Protein bars. Apple Pie is my favorite. 20 grams of Protein and 17grams of Fiber (macros for some of their bars) works well for me as Breakfast during my morning commute to work.

I'm also a fan of the Quest Protein chips. I'll enjoy them with salsa or guacamole as a meal, too.

I haven't tried the protein chips I saw them though at GNC.. Might have to try.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You had the same program that had you starving after surgery not having Protein shakes. I think they are terrible, there has to be another place you can get nutritional advice from.

I have more muscle than fat. I want to keep it that way because down the road more muscle will help me burn more calories and give me more calories in maintenance.

My program days 60 is the bare minimum for right after surgery hen you can't eat much, but optimal is 80. I try to get 110 in a day, at least 90 no more than 120. By eating mostly Protein and keeping my protein goals high it doesn't leave room for junk to creep in.

How many calories are you eating a day? 600-800?

Between 700-900. Yea I mostly come on here more then I ask them. Last time I talked to her she said don't worry about the Protein I need Water then told me the opposite a week later. I be very confused.

My nut's rule of thumb is not to let your Protein cost you more than 10 cal per gram of Protein. So a 17 gram Protein Bar shouldn't be more than 170 cal. It helps keep me from eating some of the junk bars.

Edited by cindyw41

they are basically slider foods, they offer no kind of restriction or satisfaction other than taste.

That's certainly not true. I eat a Protein bar for Breakfast every morning and it keeps me full and satisfied until lunch time. Slider foods I can eat and then eat again a half hour later. Plus, I consider 20+ grams of Protein for 200-is calories a nutritional bargain. Yes, the are highly processed and have undesirable chemicals in them, but I don't think you can knock the amount of protein per calories or how filling they are. Obviously some brands ar ebetter than others.

@@lachellove

Do you have a stricture? Why are you still only on 3oz past 6 months? You might want to try baked swai fish. It is very soft and moist and you should be able to eat 4 to 5 ounces because it almost instantly turns to mush in your mouth. I started with Swai so I could get all my Protein in without using shakes or bars. Shrimp doesn't have enough Protein. tuna, Salmon and Crab are harder to process.

Protein Bars are higher in calories and carbs than just meat/fish and they are basically slider foods, they offer no kind of restriction or satisfaction other than taste.

Everyone's capacity and stomach size is different. I was at least 1-2 years out before I could eat 4-5 oz of protein. Protein bars and shakes are fine to use, they are a supplement.

They keep you full? Sounds cool. I just think Ima try different techniques and figure out what works for me. The combat ones were very good. It keeps you full until snack? Or lunch?

Protein bars totally feel like sliders to me. They do nothing for my hunger and they seem to go right through my stomach.

The eatmeguiltfree.com brownies are filling with less calories and fewer chemicals.

I like Protein bars for emergencies but the don't come close to being as satisfying as meat.

I feel like they are something out have to be leery of because I could easily eat just graze on them. I never even feel any restriction when I eat them.

@@erp I agree. I'm 19 months post-op and can still only do 3 - 4 oz. of dense protien at a time. I can do 5-6 ounces of loose or liquidy protien, like chili or pulled pork. Just last night, my husband made seafood sausage for dinner (salmon and shrimp) in a pork casing. He measured out 80 grams for me, because that's what I asked for and it was almost too much. 80 grams is just under 3 oz.

As for the objection to protien bars and shakes, some people are strict about clean eating. More power to them. I personally live a busy life and don't always have time to make everything from scratch the way clean eating requires. I have to come up with solutions that allow me to live my full life and still get all my Protein in. For me that means relying on Protein bars. Is it ideal? Probably not. Is it better than not meeting my protein goals? I think so!

Protein bars totally feel like sliders to me. They do nothing for my hunger and they seem to go right through my stomach.

The eatmeguiltfree.com brownies are filling with less calories and fewer chemicals.

I like protein bars for emergencies but the don't come close to being as satisfying as meat.

I feel like they are something out have to be leery of because I could easily eat just graze on them. I never even feel any restriction when I eat them.

I don't feel my restriction when I eat them because they are only 2-3 ounces and my restriction kicks in around 3 oz. But they definitely make me feel full and satisfied, like I don't need to eat again for a few hours. I have one for breakfast around 9:30 and then don't eat again until lunch, which is usually 12:30 or so. For me bars are WAY better than shakes, because shakes really do go right through my sleeve and don't make me feel full or satisfied at all.

I have had the same, generally good experience with the Quest bars (prefer cookie dough) for Breakfast. I eat one of those for breakfast and the a serving of fat-free Greek yogurt a few hours later. That puts me at 35 g of Protein and a good chunk of Fiber all before morning's end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make my Protein Shakes with 1/2c of cottage cheese and a couple of handfuls of spinach- they turn out so thick and voluminous, I can't always finish them. Check out Dashing Dish website. Her Protein Shake recipes are awesome.

Thanks I will be trying a few things .. You all are way more help the my NUT!!

I have to admit I still have shakes and Protein bars and I've been at goal for over a year. My nutritionist and surgeon are ok with it. shakes don't hold me over as long as a bar does but I like to mix it up from day to day. I just ordered some combat crunch bars from Amazon prime. I never liked the Quest ones. You have to find what works for you long term. This isn't a diet for one year. It's a life style and if your not into cooking and making everything from scratch and have a sweet tooth like me this has helped me stay at goal.

Good luck-

LA

I have to admit I still have shakes and Protein bars and I've been at goal for over a year. My nutritionist and surgeon are ok with it. shakes don't hold me over as long as a bar does but I like to mix it up from day to day. I just ordered some combat crunch bars from Amazon prime. I never liked the Quest ones. You have to find what works for you long term. This isn't a diet for one year. It's a life style and if your not into cooking and making everything from scratch and have a sweet tooth like me this has helped me stay at goal.

Good luck-

LA

I was look on Amazon ,GNC has them by the bar. But yes I have to consider what works for me although I haven't gained I still would like to get my Protein in. Seems like I can implement them in my diet somewhere it couldn't hurt.