Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work in healthcare - what to tell them?

I work in healthcare education. We are a small, family-like group and everyone always shares their medical issues. I know what someone's phlegm looks like when they are sick, I know who's had what surgery. I prefer to keep my details private and I know that's my right under HIPPA. I'm considering saying that I need surgery to deal with a hernia but I'm afraid they might ask for details or that it will become obvious that I had WLS.

For those that work in the medical field what did you tell your colleagues?

I just said hiatal hernia repair and nothing else. It's all about boundaries.

I am a nurse and I have only told my coworkers that I am taking some time off. Only my supervisor knows that I am taking sick time for a "procedure." If my supervisor asks what I am having done, I will tell him, but nobody else needs to know.

I'd just tell people you have to have abdominal surgery to correct an issue. If they press you, tell them that you're not comfortable discussing the details and change the subject:

Coworker: So what is the surgery for?

You: Oh, it's just fixing a long standing issue. So how is your daughter doing in school?

If they insist on redirecting the convo back, then tell them you're not comfortable discussing the details and excuse yourself. You don't owe anyone more information just because they asked. They are in the wrong if they ignore your boundary. Don't feel bad about (politely) shutting them down:

Coworker: Talking all about daughter... But no really, what is the issue you're getting fixed?

You: Coworker, I know you mean well, but I really don't feel comfortable talking about my medical issues at work. Thank you for understanding.

I really just don't get it. Why not just say, "I'm having weight loss surgery"? That's all--nothing more--nothing less.

Then if pressed for more info, tell them "Respect my privacy, please, and God bless".

WLS is NOTHING to be ashamed of. Why is everyone always trying to "ignore the elephant in the room"?

Graphic details need not be given, but for cry'n out loud, is it really any secret that you (we) are overweight? Nip the curiosity seekers right from the start. State the facts factually and leave the rest to "Google".

The truth is much easier to keep track of than lies or skirting around an obvious issue.

On this day, on this issue--my opinion.

I don't think you even have to tell your own boss what surgery you are having. You just need to say "I'll need blank amount of weeks off as I am having surgery such and such date."

You are not obligated to tell them anymore and they aren't allowed to ask.

Surgery is surgery - they have to give you the time off required without question.

Nobody else needs to know details.

I believe this is correct information I am giving anyways hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

Ever work in the healthcare field??? Co workers in the healthcare field whose curiosity has been aroused WILL find out whatever info they "think" they need to know. Trust me on this.

Whether or not it is any of their business or whether or not you have any obligation to tell them anything about your private life, they WILL find out. I'm telling you the truth.

So, why not give them simple straight forward facts---on your own terms?

Matter of fact. Here is it. No big secret. Nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing to gossip about.

"Now that you all know what you were soooo curious about, please leave any details to the realm of my personal business. Thank you, and God bless".

If you don't want to tell anybody, don't! You certainly don't have to tell anybody what you're surgery is for.

However, I told my coworkers and my boss. I am confident in my decision. I shared some material with them from my binder that I got from the Bariatric center. If you're confident, educated, and excited, why not tell people about the journey you're on? I have been met with nothing but support and curiosity. There is a stigma associated with WLS but there doesn't have to be if we could be more open about it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I work EMS. I told my partners and my boss. If something happened to me while I'm at work after surgery, I want them to have a clue about what it could be related to. They also know that I will need their help lifting and moving after surgery. Also, because we work in healthcare, they're going to figure it out eventually. We've been fat. Suddenly we get thin? Do we have TB? Maybe a tapeworm??? Lol!

Hello everyone. LOL i had to laugh at this because everyone who responded was right on point . those are all options and scenarios. But you do what you want to do and dont regret it.

Valentina was on Point the question was working in Health Care .. I work in Health Care and believe me they are going to find out whether they ask you or not . the only person i told was my supervisor who is my only friend there and of course my best friend and family. I dont even have insurance through my job nor does my supervisor we both have insurance through our husbands. but they found out they gossip they googled not that i really cared but damn people will go out of their way to find out your business. Whatever LOLoL.. You Dont Owe Them Anything. Not One answer Not one sentence Not a dollar.. lololol.

I'm a nurse practitioner and I have been honest with anyone that asks. Mostly, because I want to show my coworkers and patients that weight loss surgery can be a life changer and shouldn't be something someone is ashamed of. You should never me ashamed of doing something to make you healthier. I talk to my patients everyday about living a healthy lifestyle and I occasionally run across patients that are seriously trying, but still struggle with weight loss. If diet and exercise alone are not working for them, I want them to know there are other options. If they ask about how I lost the weight, I want to always tell the truth. If a particular diet didn't work for them, I don't want them to give up working towards a healthier life, I want them to keep looking until they find what works for them, even if it isn't what worked for me. I don't want to lie to them, because, no, I couldn't do it alone, I needed help, and they may need that help too.

I think you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

I am a nursing administrator at the hospital where I had my surgery done. I knew going into it that regardless of HIPPA everyone would find out. I have worked there over 20 years and I supervise the entire adult hospital so I know everyone and too many people would recognize me. Plus I know the nurses on the floor really well. No way was it going to stay a secret. I am an open book by nature so it didn't bother me at all. Everyone was very supportive. Plus there are multiple people who work in the hospital who have had it done so it's more common and everyone seems supportive and no one has ever said anything negative to me. I got the royal treatment from the time I checked in until I checked out. The only downside was the hordes of people who worked there that came to my room to visit. I had to make sure my hair and makeup was fixed day and night- didn't want to look like a hag!!

I also felt that by people knowing it was an inspiration to others. There have been a few employees who decided to have surgery after I did.

My case is very unique. If I had worked with a bunch of negative mean spirited people I would have wanted to keep it quiet.

Do what you feel is best. You could always say you are having a hernia repair if people keep pressing you. That's an abdominal surgery and you can blame your weight loss on trying to lose so the repair heals and doesn't reoccur.

Good luck to you!!

Thanks all. I work in medical education (I.e. Medical school) so staff and faculty have all that knowledge but not access to my records like they would at a hospital. I know I could be "out and proud" but I prefer to keep my health private in the workplace. I'll save my announcements for the friends and family that I need support from. I guess I just wanted to make sure the hernia excuse was believable (since I'm staff not someone with a medical background).

I'm on the lower BMI side (BMI of 39 with 2 comorbitities) so I figure my weight loss will likely be a bit slower and slightly less dramatic than others.

I really appreciate all the different viewpoints shared here.

I work in healthcare so I told my coworkers I'm having surgery that will help my kidney function. They know I have one kidney and loosing weight will help me. I also told them because of this I will need to loose weight so I appreciate if they would be supportive of my new healthy lifestyle. No one asked anything just told me they would support my new diet. So I told the truth but not all of my information was needed. If they ask specific procedures just let them know your are processing this your self right now and prefer not to go into extreme detail at this moment in time.