Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods for camping in cold weather?

I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to get the gastric sleeve surgery. A couple of years ago, I went on a camping trip in northern Minnesota in the dead of winter. We were on the trail for 4 days, the highs were in single digits and the lows dipped to -20 F. The guides had us eating a lot of rich food to keep our internal furnaces stoked.

Will it be possible to do the trip again post-surgery and be able to eat enough to keep warm?

Thanks.

Bob

You will need to dress in an extra layer as after some have had surgery and lose some of the fat insulation they get cold. As far as camping I went camping at about one month out from surgery and did fine!

oatmeal, stews and chili come to mind.

You may just need to eat more frequently because you won't be able to eat as much at one time.

I'm also thinking that you'll need to layer up and eat more frequently. You might also want to talk with who ever is planning the food/meals so that they are aware of your diet and can make recommendations on things that might work well for you to fuel. When in doubt, bring your own food.

As for camping, I went camping a month after surgery and was fine. Rode my bike and hiked too.

Camping and hiking post surgery is definitely doable!! It would be easier if you are able to hold off until you are healed and on regular food. Like someone stayed before; staying warm may be an issue because a lot of us are much colder after we lose the weight.

I have been camping and hiking multiple times since my surgery. I also do a long distance kayak paddling and over night trips. Yes getting enough to eat is a valid concern. One suggestion I would make is to start with maybe just a one or two night hike and camp. This will give you an idea of your calorie needs.

The first time I hiked and camped I did not realize how much more calories I would need and how it could be a challenge. However, I quickly found things that worked for me. Also, my post op sleeve tolerates everything but fried food and ice cream so I can eat the prepackaged dehydrated meals without problems (just less than everyone else). These are high calorie and mostly high carbs. However as I burn a ton of calories hiking or kayaking all day I do not let that worry me. I also take turkey Jerky, Protein Bars, and homemade trail mix. It just takes some adjusting to find what works for you!!

Sounds like you will have fun.

Thanks for the advice. It'd be at least a year post-surgery before I'd head off to the north woods again. Letting the guides know ahead of time that I'd have specific requirements sounds very important.

By a year post-op, you'll be a nutritional expert and know exactly what to eat, how often, and how to tweak your menus compared to what everyone else is doing.

You'll be fine.

:)

Two weeks after surgery, I took a short day hike. People are running marathons a year after surgery, so it's doable. What concerns me more is the freezing phenomenon. Lots of threads here are all about how cold we all feel after surgery. In July even. Consider keeping a butt load of hand warmers with you.

Emilie, thanks. Being the cold-natured type already, I layer up with mittens and mukluks when I'm up north.

I used to think I was a person who coped with cold well. The post surgery chills are different. It's like you get a cool breeze at your back, then you just plummet. The chill and recovery time used to be equal before surgery. Now it takes ten times longer to come back to normal than pre surgery. It's the weirdest thing.

Post surgery I camped out on 2 nights that were just below freezing, not what you did, and I definitely needed an additional layer of clothing.

Maybe you can bring Protein rich Snacks with you for the extra energy when you are on the trail, such as nuts and Jerky, since you can't eat as much at a meal?

This was one of the questions I asked my doctor at my consultation. Is there a possibility of having the surgery and being a long distance athlete. He said definitely. He has one patient that has been able to complete 100+ mile bikes and runs after having the sleeve. Figuring out what is the most nutritious food to fuel you is a must. I have a goal to become a triathlete and this discussion with him made me feel like it can happen!! food is fuel!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

This was one of the questions I asked my doctor at my consultation. Is there a possibility of having the surgery and being a long distance athlete. He said definitely. He has one patient that has been able to complete 100+ mile bikes and runs after having the sleeve. Figuring out what is the most nutritious food to fuel you is a must. I have a goal to become a triathlete and this discussion with him made me feel like it can happen!! food is fuel!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm running a full marathon on September 18. So it is definitely possible!