Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just need to vent.

It lost 83 pounds in 5 months. And this is fantastic and the surgery is the best thing I've ever done.

However.

I'm at pret a manger. And there are people eating these amazing salads and sandwiches and I sit here with my little quinoa egg cup (which I can't even finish) and I feel sorry for myself. Why can't I just be like everyone else?

I want a nice big lunch!!

I needed to complain and didn't know where else to go.

Thanks

Be careful what you wish for. Some day you will be able to eat a lot more and you will have to train your brain to limit your portions, not rely on your sleeve. I'm just headed back from vacation where I ate all the scallops, shrimp, crab, clams, Pasta, Soup, steak, salad, and gelato I wanted. Now it's back to the old Protein veggie routine. Don't worry, you will be "normal" soon.

Kindle is right- enjoy the time you have now while you can't eat a lot. I am over 2 years out and I have the opposite issue, amusingly. While there are time I look at what other people are eating and I feel jealous, generally I think food is gross. I have found the few things that don't make me sick, I eat those, and everything else is just like, yuck, no thanks. Honestly, this is kind of a nice thing because I don't overeat or eat unhealthily, but there are all kinds of weird ways you end up seeing food after surgery. Being jealous of other people's lunch is entirely normal. :)

@@Shainadelphia, lots of people share your sentiment. It's never made sense to me. I've never mourned what wouldn't go down. If I were sitting with a quinoa egg cup and couldn't finish it, no way would my heart cry out for more food. Human minds can be varied, weird things.

I hope you're feeling better now that you've vented.

@Shainadelphia I know how / what you're feeling ...

Very rarely go out to eat anymore ... whats the point ... I take about 5 or 6 bites of something and I'm done ... to me its stupid to waste the money ...

Hubby says doesn't matter about the money or the food .... just enjoy what you can ...

BUT ... then he confesses to me one night while I'm crying because I can't actually "bite" a sandwich anymore .... ( another story )

He tells me he feels "jipped" because his partner in crime is gone ... meaning ... we don't pig out together anymore :(

I felt bad for him ... He looked so sad ... I know I know ... I shouldn't feel bad ... this sleeve is a GOOD thing ... but he just looked like he lost his best friend ...

I told him that I'm still right here ... I just don't eat 98% of what I used to .... but i'll still go!

Anyway ... back to the bite the sandwich story ... this is strange ...

Had my surgery early in the morning ... that night ... all I could see in my mind and feel in my mouth was biting a ham sandwich with mayo/lettuce/tomato/bacon and cheese ... omgosh ... that image haunted me for DAYS !

and every time I want a sandwich ... that's what I see ...

BUT ...

I'd rather eat a few bites of grilled chicken and some salad than pig out and feel like crap ... and continue on the death rollercoaster I was on ...

you hang in there ... we all have these moments ... I promise!

It comes and goes with me.

At 18 months out now, I love the fact that I can't eat that much compared to others. It keeps me honest.

On the other hand, there's days where I'm happily eating away, enjoying my food, and BAM, I've hit a wall and can't possibly have another bite and I'm like "I'm full ALREADY??" It can be quite annoying, lol.

As annoying as it can be at times it also revives my gratefulness that I got a second chance. I only wish I could have done it sooner, and have back all those wasted years where my appetite and obesity reigned supreme.

Back then I was envious of the people who were able to stop eating at a normal portion of healthy food.

I feel you. Home from surgery and my mothers birtday was Tuesday. Everyone was eating shrimp crablegs and Mac. I was so upset and went to sleep. Lol.. were gonna have frustrations. You can have whatever u want just at a smaller portion.

Edited by SunshineAna

@@Shainadelphia - I think everyone one of us has felt this way. I do every time my co-workers invite me to lunch together. I have learned to take the best bite first and then just enjoy each others company. Now... don't think I do not go home and feel sorry for myself but then I look at my morning weigh in (140+ pounds lost) and say, its ok. It is worth it.....

Waaaa today I'm six days from surgery and I feel so sad about this new relationship I'm going to have with food. BMI fluctuated between 36 and 37 so I convince myself that I did not have a huge food addiction. Today is the first day that I realize it was very real and it was definitely an addiction. I know especially after today that I could've never lost this excess weight without the surgery. I can't seem to get even 40 ounces of liquids in I was able to do some Protein about 15 g . Feel sad miss food.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My "last meal" before surgery was Japanese hibachi. I remember sitting with the food in front of me thinking, "I am so sad that I will never be able to eat a big plate of food like this again."

I think I had that thought twice after surgery, both in the very early days.

I'm now a year and a half out and have lost 172 lbs. I couldn't care less about a big plate of food and I doubt I ever will again. My mindset has changed completely; it's quite interesting how that happens.

I am 4 years 4 months post sleeve. I eat like a trim, middle age woman. I think it's awesome!

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

You will be eating like a "normal" skinny person soon. Just take a few bites of sandwich or salad to tide you over till then. Honestly I thought I would pizza the most, but I don't. I just make it with cauliflower crust now. What I miss the most is salad and it is so fibrous and filling that it's still the hardest thing to eat. So what do I do? I occasionally go to Whole foods salad bar and get the tiniest ever salad. Or go to chopped and get a finely chopped salad that takes me 3-4 days to eat. Be careful with the bread in the sandwich tho. I did have a "mini-croissant" once and I thought I was going to fall asleep. I had not had any carbs in so long I nearly went into a coma;-)