Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many vitamins do you take?

So I recently came across a topic about Vitamins and saw that some people are taking multiple ones. My doctor told me to take Bariatric fusion 4 times a day. Nothing about anything else. Is anyone else doing that? I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Also- does anyone's stomach rumble after they eat? Mine sounds like a bear after I eat anything. Lots of gas maybe?

My surgeon has me taking a b-12, a multi-Vitamin. I also have to take an Iron supplement because my Iron has always been low (has nothing to do with the surgery). I also take a Calcium because I am a woman over the age of 35.

I use the Celebrate chewable Vitamins and like them a lot. I take the following:

My nutritionist has specific daily requirements for Vitamins. After exhaustive research, Celebrate was the better choice for me since I only have to take 4 chewables per day to reach my requirements. https://www.celebratevitamins.com/

I hated the Celebrate chewables. I was so glad I could stop them after the first month. Give me a pill to swallow any day. The quality and price are good though!

I take a multi Vitamin that I buy from The Vitamin Shop. It is a vitamin that is made for gastric surgeries. I also take a B-12 twice a week & chewable Calcium I get from Amazon. I'm almost 2 years post op and my doctor is happy with my blood tests.

I take 4 Bariatric Advantage Calcium chewy bites a day (2 and 2 at different times), 2 Celebrate Multivitamin soft chews, 2 Bariatric chewable Iron and Biotin (when I remember). I get B12 shots when I go in for follow ups every six weeks or so.

It's an all day process trying to get them all in and not let the calcium negate the Iron, etc.

I have a Centrum vitamint and Calcium chewable twice a day and B12 at night

The Vitamin deficiencies most commonly seen in post gastrectomy patients are Iron, B12, Vitamin D, Calcium, folate and zinc. The problem is, these deficiencies can occur 5, 10 even 20 years down the line when people start slacking on taking their Vitamins and stop getting bloodwork done. In fact, studies show that 30-90% of patients will develop deficiencies.

Theoretically, VSG patients cannot absorb oral B12 anymore because we lack intrinsic factor which is produced in the portion of the stomach they removed. Therefore, we need to take it in sublingual or injectable form.

The "usual" supplementation includes a multi as well as Iron, D3, sublingual or injectable B12 and calcium. But more important is that we get bloodwork done every 6-12 months to monitor for any deficiencies and make adjustments. For example, my iron/ferritin levels came back high at my 6 month check so I discontinued my iron supplement. It has been in the normal level ever since. And so has everything else. I get bloodwork done every year, which includes a full Vitamin and mineral assay.