Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation sucks

Well said, I used to love flying, now I have developed a fear and anxiety and I avoid it at all cost :( Not sure how to prepare for an upcoming work flight I have...3hours on a plane sounds like torture right about now.

I remember when flying used to be a real pleasure. It has sucked since 9/11 and only got worse after the recession.

I used to fly 5 days a week for work, at around 330 lbs for years. As a business traveler I was upgraded most of the time so it was comfortable. i love being on planes, the security is annoying. I can't wait to start traveling again now that I smaller.

Ugh, what a way to start a vacation! I'm so sorry. I'm hope things have improved since then.

I'm with @@Babs about the staycation. Although I do like to travel, my favorite vacation is in my own house with a stack of good books.

ive learned since i dont do flying very well, ( claustrophobia amongst others i guess, , i usually take a sedative, ativan or valium and try to relax. lol

ive learned since i dont do flying very well, ( claustrophobia amongst others i guess, , i usually take a sedative, ativan or valium and try to relax. lol

For eight hours as a captive on a plane? Fie on drugs. I'd be ripping people's arteries out of their bodies without taking time to cut them open first. Very messy. Then I'd beg @@Kindle to come make funny faces from the tarmac or be kind enough to put me out of my misery.

(Anyone know the Ray Bradbury story about the peculiar little man who removed people's skeletons while leaving their intact outsides behind?)

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch no no tell us now!! :D I'm all curious and that... see I love flying, but I really hate waiting in the airports...

once took a trip to jacksonville - on the way back had a layover in washington dc was only supposed to be an hour - turned into 8 hours...

then I was coming home from a trip to shallotte/myrtle beach - this was a good and bad thing - they asked for volunteers to give up seats and they would compensate them and pay for hotel room for the night... so I did that... and got a voucher for my next trip as well. The bad was my friends were already headed back to shallotte and for good reason (hour trip) didn't want to come back to get me :P

@, so you were stuck for 8 hours like Kindle? It really must have been like torture of the no-fun variety.

It's been eons since I was on flights where the terminal crew called for volunteers to give up seats and receive vouchers for future flights. I never took them up on it because I had to get where I was going. For someone who has no time pressure, it can be a good deal and a bit of adventure.

The airport caper was so very long ago. The short version: The arrest at the airport meant that we were being charged by the city. After some paperwork and whatever, each of us was released on our own recognizance. Somewhere along the way I was informed of a court date back in that state. I decided to go so as not to risk being there again as a scofflaw when visiting family, as I did a few times a year. Before going back for court, I received a letter from the FAA. The nature of the "crime" was also under FAA jurisdiction, which worked very well for me Back in the city court, the judge dismissed the charge because FAA took precedence. When I phoned the FAA lawyer who had the case, I was polite and friendly, which disarmed her no end. She was accustomed to people being belligerent. I acknowledged having done wrong, that I knew better than ever to do it again, and I understood that a fine was mandatory. I suggested $50 as money was tight at that time. Because I was considerate of her, she was the same and said she'd have to get approval for such a low number. She called the next day with a "Yes." She actually was a nice person and we ended the conversation with my saying, "You've been so understanding and pleasant. Under different circumstances, I'd say that it would be fun to meet for lunch." There was a little gasp of surprise on her end of the line. I wasn't even being manipulative. Whatever my mood was over those few days, she was a recipient of it.

(Okay, the whole thing had to do with breaching security to return to the gate after having been given misinformation by ground crew about a lengthy delay the first time around. The other two passengers and I had been chatting and decided to go back up the ramp for a drink. We thought we still had time, but, to be safe, ran back past security check (which had already closed, as our flight was the last of the day). When a few airport policemen arrived at the gate, I gave permission for a cursory check of my carryon suitcase. One of them unzipped an outer pocket and found the underwear that I hadn't had time to wash before packing to head home.)

Have I made the story as confused as can be?

yes, yes you have :P

When I got the offer to be a volunteer to give up my seat - I had to be at work the next day, but I just called my boss and told him the flight was overbooked and they had to put me on another plane for the next day - he was a little irriated but I worked at a gas station at the time, so I uh really didn't care.