Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band surgery/hiatal hernia repair combo

I am 99% sure I have a hiatal hernia. I have never actually been diagnosed because there comes a point when you are big when you get tired of hearing that the pains you are feeling are simply because of your size.

The pain, for me, is occasional, usually when I am in some sort of crunched stomach position, like getting up from a chair or doing a sit up (LOL right, like I've done a sit up lately). Anyway, it feels like something just under my rib cage rolls out of place and it hurts like the dickens for a few seconds and the only way to make it stop is to try and relax and straighten up and whatever is "misplaced" (my upper stomach?) seems to slide back where it belongs. Once I have an "attack" it seems proned to happening a couple of more times that day, sort of like a charlie horse and sometimes the area can be a bit tender a couple of days following an "attack". I did not have the same pain prior to having my gallbladder removed, and the pain seems very near a scar from that surgery so I am wondering if my diaphragm was nicked and has since torn or something. I have heartburn as well, but have really never been diagnosed with GERD or anything, it feels very similar to the heartburn I'd experience when pregnant, so I knew I would only be told that it is caused by my weight as well.

Anyway ..where I am going with this explanation.. when I went to the lap band seminar the surgeon said they could repair a hiatal hernia during the lap band procedure. Has enyone else had that done? How did they determine you had the hernia to begin with? Barium swallow? Ultrasound?

How was your recovery? Have your symptoms gone away?

Thanks!

Libby

I was banded on 7/25. I didn't have a hernia, but know that if one was discovered, my doc would've repaired it while he was in there.

I know there are several folks on here who have had their hernias repaired during their LapBand surgeries.

As for how they diagnose/discover it, I'm not sure. Probably during your pre-op barium swallow. You'd have to ask your doc about that one. Sorry!

HI, i had a hernia repair. I never knew i had one but i did have a problem with reflux. The doctor even showed me a opic he took of it. Mine went through the diaphragm and was "big". I had no clue...but i am so happy he fixed it. (the pic was kind of neat!)...anyways, i did have a lot of burping and gas in the first week...but i can't say that was fron the hernia repair..people have those symptoms from the band as well. I think overall, it can only be a good thing to get it fixed at the same time. Good Luck!

They found one while they were banding me. The ultrasound never picked it up and I never had any symptoms. Recovery was a few days longer. It's the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.

As irrational as it is, I get what you were saying about why you didn't get it checked out.

I also had a hernia, it was discovered during the Upper GI. it was repaired and I had no problems at all. Oh, except I no longer have constant indigestion! No biggie at all,

I didn't know I had it, but my doc repaired it while doing the surgery. It has actually improved my lung capacity of all things ... but took about a week before I could take a deep breath without pain. Well worth it.

MM

Hello, My hernia was discovered because they thought I had asthma. They did an upper GI. barium swallow. What was happening was the hernia was allowing stomach acid into my esophogus causing it to swell. The Hernia surgeon was the one who recommended my having a lap band and told me if I was interested they could do it at the same time. I have only had my surgery 6 days ago. But so far so good. Not having trouble. Hope this helps. :)

I had a hiatal hernia repaired and my gallbladder removed all during my lap band surgery. A week before my lap band surgery, my Dr. did an upper GI, which showed the hernia and stones in my gallbladder.3 surgeries all at once... My surgery date was June 22, 2006. Until now no problems..

It has actually improved my lung capacity of all things MM

Yes! That makes so much sense to me. In the last ..I dunno, year or so, I feel like I've been breathing shallow and blame my breathlessness on my weight but the more I am coming to understand the hernia and how having your stomach above your diaphragm can effect your body, I am realizing that some of the odds and end discomforts that I have been associating with my weight, are actually problems probably due to the hernia.

What Tina08 has had to say really hits home, about the asthma/stomach acid. I feel as tho I constantly have this feeling of almost-heartburn. I say almost because its like right on the edge of having heartburn but not, I just feel like I need to clear my throat or cough or drink something to make it go away.

This thread has been very very helpful, thanks to all who have shared your experience. I'm glad I asked.

Libby

:peace:

I had a hiatal hernia. Dr. said that he had to repair it before he could place the band. Make sense to me because then the food wouldn't back up. Anyway, I found I had a certain restriction after surgery even before the first fill. I didn't know I had it but then I was already trying not to eat after 7 pm so I didn't really have any symptoms like most people, I didn't eat things that caused acid reflux. Anyway, it really worked to have it fixed for me

HI! Had a hiatal hernia repaired during my lap band procedure, too. DIdn't even know I had one, they didn't see it during my endoscope a few months before, but alas there it was large as life. A bad one, too. Anyway, it definitely affected my recovery time. Keep that in mind. But it has truly been a blessing!