Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have I lost my mind?

Just a week ago, I was posting about how I was returning to running after a 5 month hiatus. I did a little "trial run" on my treadmill and surprised myself by running for 10 minutes straight, right out of the gate, then doing some more long intervals that same workout. I had thought I might have to completely restart C25k, but that run put me safely back into week 6. Well, I did Week 6 last week (finished it Monday), and as any of you who have completed C25k know, after Week 6, it's just straight-up long runs, just tacking on a few minutes each week.

I had planned all along to try to get back into racing form by April so I could sign up for a 5k. I live in upstate NY, so I refuse to do any races before April, since running outside is torture. So there I was looking at races for April to potentially sign up for and I saw the listing for the Flower City Challenge, which is a half marathon. For some reason the idea of a half appealed to me. I knew I wouldn't be able to run the whole thing, but the course is only open for 3.5 hours, so I couldn't walk the whole thing either. It then became a puzzle for me to solve. How much running would I have to do to make the 3.5 hour cut-off and would I be ABLE to do that amount of running by the 24th of April?

I started off with the idea of doing run/walk intervals for the whole thing, thinking that if I could run for 5 minutes then walk for 5 minutes and repeat that enough times, I would be able to run for half the total time. But then I started looking at some run/walk half marathon training schedules. They all seemed to be really walk heavy or run heavy. The walk-heavy ones had you completing the race with intervals of 4 minutes walking and 1 minute running. That clearly wouldn't be fast enough for the 3.5 hour cut-off. The run-heavy ones had you completing the race with intervals of 9 minutes running and 1 minute walking, which is basically just RUNNING a half marathon, as far as I'm concerned!

I finally found a 14 week schedule that has you completing the race with intervals of 4 minutes running and 1 minute walking. That's still more running than I am looking to do, but I though I could at least follow THAT schedule through the section that has you do 3 minutes running and 2 minutes walking. That seems like a pretty good balance. And if I really do make it to the 4/1 portion of the schedule, all the better!

I'm actually a little less than 14 weeks out from April 24, so I had to start a couple of days into the schedule (missed one day of run/walk and one day of cross training), but I had no trouble with the portion of the schedule I picked up with last night (3/2 run/walk intervals for 35 minutes). Am I crazy for deciding to do this on a whim and thinking I can go from Week 6 of C25k to completing a half marathon in under 14 weeks?!?!

I suppose if you have the energy and stamina to support that level of intensity, why not?

I lost my mind once. Someone found it a few days later in the gutter. ;-)

I ran my first half marathon using the Galloway run/walk method (4 run/1 walk). I developed a blister at mile 9 and had an 8 minute break at the medical tent and walked more than ran the last mile and we finished in under 3 hours. During my training (it was a 16 week training plan) I had a 2 week break when I had to have my gallbladder removed. We finished the race in under 3 hours. I LOVE the run/walk method. I think you can totally do it. Prior to that race I had only run 1 10k using the same method! You are NOT crazy!!! Good luck!

im starting the C25K app in two weeks to get prepped for a spring 5k. and i hope to play in a over 40 soccer league this summer. so i need to build up some more running stamina.

Go for it. So long as you don't end up getting a cold or an injury, the worst that happens is you walk more than you planned.

Have I lost my mind?

YES!!! :D

come on bud,you left me wide open, couldn't resist LOL

i'm sure OP's replies are great

my experience with running, is i have no experience!!! sob sob

I envy you and OP that can run, marathons etc

you are all terrific

your always a winner in my book!!

keep up the good job

ready, set, gooooo

kathy

Reach for the stars! You can do it!

I suppose if you have the energy and stamina to support that level of intensity, why not?

I lost my mind once. Someone found it a few days later in the gutter. ;-)

See, if I DID loose my mind, the gutter is the very first place I'd look for it. :P

@@JamieLogical

You are not being unrealistic. Intervals are a great way to train.You may even be surprised ho much stronger you will be by April 24th.

Just a suggestion.lol :lol: Not an expert by far......This just helped me.

Building on endurance:

Run while listening to music.Run a song walk a song. It will be about 3/3 minuet intervals.

Learning if you can sustain your pace:

How you breathe is important. Mouth the words as you run. If you get out of breath slow down your intervals until you feel comfortable to sustain an hour. Getting lost in your music will help distract you from concentrating on time.Work your way up to your goal of 4/1 intervals.

So excited for you! Keep us updated. I would love to see photo's of your race.

So excited for you! Keep us updated. I would love to see photo's of your race.

Oh there will be photos! If I'm gonna complete a half marathon, you can bet there is going to be a ton of proof for me to show off to everyone!

You can totally do it! I did my first half marathon on a 5/1 run walk schedule! Great way to do it!