Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in Hawaii. I would have to use a military hospital if I don't drop to standard. While I am not taking anything away from the doctors at the military hospital, I have always received excellent care from my pcp. I have just had bad luck with the 2 surgeries I have had and both surgeries were performed by military surgeons in 2 different states. It could just be my body and both surgeries were emergency ones, but the only way I was able to get DH on board was to go the civilian route for his ease of mind.

I just got my pcp to sign the form that the civilian surgeon needed and I go to the info night on July 13. I am very excited. I bet you are excited for your surgery. What is your bmi at if you don't mind me asking? Mine is at 40.7

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I to was a week away from having surgery at a military hospital. A week before surgery it was canceled due to a PCS. I am so happy I did not get the surgery there! I was able to get a wonderful surgeon at a center of excellence. My surgeon has done so many more surgeries than the one on base. I didn't have to have a drain tub...no two week liquid diet. I also had blood clots two weeks after surgery. I feel like if I had gone on base for treatment I would be dead. My clots did not present normally and the base probably would have sent me home with Motrin. While I have had good care on base I feel like I have had awesome care from my surgeon and staff at the hospital. Plus I didn't have to share a hospital room like I would have on base. I live an hour away from base so I also see a family doctor where I live....best health care I have had in 17 years of marriage to my husband.

I was so disappointed that we had another procedure not covered by Tricare that I picked up my employer's insurance for one year. Then right after I did that, Tricare started covering it. I'm still glad I did because there aren't any doctors close to me that will accept it. However, they do accept my employer's insurance. Now I have Tricare as a secondary, and I'm not paying much of anything for the procedure.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had the vsg surgery through United Healthcare Tricare West region? If so, did u have to do the 6 months of supervised diets or weigh ins? Were u approved quickly? Any info on UHC Tricare would be greatly appreciated.

I am in TriWest...Boise, ID. You will need to do a 3 month supervised diet. I had those in my medical record over the past year. I did have to do a few other tests but those were doctor requirements. I just had a friend go to her first apt July 7th and already had approval through TriWest. She will have surgery in August...she already had 3 months of supervised dieting in her records.

I am in TriWest...Boise, ID. You will need to do a 3 month supervised diet. I had those in my medical record over the past year. I did have to do a few other tests but those were doctor requirements. I just had a friend go to her first apt July 7th and already had approval through TriWest. She will have surgery in August...she already had 3 months of supervised dieting in her records.

Thank u for replying, Lindsey.

I know a lot of people who have UHC but not through Tricare and everyone has to do a 6 month supervised diet/weigh-ins ins. So I just wanted to make sure and see if Tricare was the same or not. I know that on the website it does not specify the amount of time. I hope my surgeon only has me do 3 months or less lol. I called tricare to see if my authorization to start the bariatric program was approved and it was. The agent told me my approval dates are for 7/20-1/16.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I have TriWest, I'm in California. All I did was meet with my PCP and let her know my failed attempts and asked for a referral. I had zero issues and did not have to prove anything. I am going through the surgery center on base, but the docs seem extremely competent.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@Lindsey Skinner Abbott and @@kadi_o

Did any of you guys have to pay out of pocket for the surgery?

Edited by sarcruze

No, mine is covered 100%. But again, it's through the hospital on base. Side note- plastics is also offered for a copay 18 months after the surgery.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Going on base is a completely different reqirment. Base does not go through Tricare for payment. You will just be required to adhere to your surgeons requirements. I am in Tricare prime and didn't pay any type of co-pay....although my husband is still active duty.

I dropped to tricare standard, to be able to pick my surgeon, I will have to pay the deductible for the year. The deductible is 1,000 for the fiscal year so I am trying to get everything done before October.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I have tricare standard as well. I can not afford to pay $1000. I also have medicaid. Hopefully they will cover those expenses

I live in northern Arizona. The closest one that has a bariatric program I believe is in San Diego