Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein has the reputation of being the most important nutrient and the one to focus on at each meal. People think of Protein, and they think “good.” That’s especially true in the WLS community. Gastric sleeve and bypass patients in particular need to focus on protein to prevent malnutrition. Plus, protein helps you stay full and lowers blood sugar swings.

But carbs? You hear all sorts of things about them…many of them pretty bad. However, there are all kinds of studies linking carbs to health benefits – as long as we’re talking “healthy,” high-fiber, less process carbs, and not refined starches and added sugars. Think oats, Beans, fruit, and vegetables – all linked to lower disease risk and even lower body weight!

Still, carbs can be high-calorie – think of a cup of whole-grain Pasta, Beans, or sweet potatoes with over 200 calories. And many kinds of fruit are so high in sugar they can spike your blood sugar levels.

So, what are your attitudes towards carbs? Do you avoid them? Limit them? Choose only healthy ones? Make sure to balance them with protein and fat? Not worry about them as long as you’re within your calories? Share your thoughts and advice here!

I'm early into this deal but have found that I do best when I avoid breads, Pasta, pizza and certainly sugar.

I've not had any fruit since being sleeved, either.

Steamed or grilled vegetables, Beans and avocados are carbs that I do enjoy every few days. I love freshly made guacamole.

I do best when I stick to this. No carb cravings or anything like that.

I have no problem with carbs in the form of fruit or Beans, etc. I do when it is not something I can justify in terms of getting other nutrients. A banana is still a better thing than chocolate. A carrot is better than a piece of bread.< /p>

I don't see them as good or bad just which is the healthier choice I can make overall?

I try to avoid white carbs I'm still preop so my strategy may change after bypass

I love carbs, lol. When I started the sleeve diet I knew I would not be willing to give up carbs for the rest of my life and that if I lost all of the weight on a strict low-carb diet the chance that I gained it back quickly when I went back to carbs was high. As such, I ate carbs the entire time I was losing and while I probably lost slower, I can now eat pretty much whatever carbs I want without worrying about gaining. To be accurate, I don't eat Pasta mostly because it makes me sick and I rarely eat bread, I do however eat crackers most days, oatmeal and granola for Breakfast, and other things that have a good degree of carbs in them. When consumed in moderation, I see nothing wrong with carbs and in hindsight I am glad that I didn't follow the Protein ONLY diet that I have heard people talk about because I would never be able to sustain that in the long term. Also, I found that while I was losing and even now, carbs are the sole source of energy that gets me through hard workouts. They have a solid place in my diet and in the weight loss I have attained and maintained.

So, I <3 carbs! :)

I lost 145 lbs. while eating 1/4 cup of carbs with my dinner...and even eating bread in moderation. I love carbs so I have to be careful but as long as I limit them, I seem to be fine. I know many others stay away completely but I have not had to do that.

I have to really watch it...of course I love,love,love carbs but carbs don't love me...

I am all about balance. My nut taught me from the very beginning that you need to focus on a balanced plate of food. Fruits and vegetables are a part of that balanced plate.

I use myfitness pal to track my Protein, calories and carbs. I know exactly where I need to be consistently to lose weight. I will soon figure out where I need to be to maintain. I think maintenance for me will be somewhere around 1300 calories, less than 100 grams of carbs and between 70 and 85 grams of Protein, not in that order.

I do try to select good carbs everyday but I also have to be realistic, there are times when I do indulge. Those Cheezeits or a tiny piece of cheesecake once in a while is not going to kill me.

Evolving. I still largely avoid simple carbs and starchy carbs, but I don't freak out over a piece of fruit or a glass of milk anymore.

I am sort of scared of them. My NUT keeps telling me to keep it under my Protein grams and choose "healthy" carbs but I don't love most "healthy" carbs. Luckily I was never a Pasta or rice person to begin with. I try to get my carbs through fruit or veggies and then occasionally some whole wheat bread or crackers. I am generally around 25-50g carbs and 80-100g Protein. Still in loss mode though, so not sure how that will shake out when I move to maintenance.

I love carbs, lol. When I started the sleeve diet I knew I would not be willing to give up carbs for the rest of my life and that if I lost all of the weight on a strict low-carb diet the chance that I gained it back quickly when I went back to carbs was high. As such, I ate carbs the entire time I was losing and while I probably lost slower, I can now eat pretty much whatever carbs I want without worrying about gaining. To be accurate, I don't eat Pasta mostly because it makes me sick and I rarely eat bread, I do however eat crackers most days, oatmeal and granola for Breakfast, and other things that have a good degree of carbs in them. When consumed in moderation, I see nothing wrong with carbs and in hindsight I am glad that I didn't follow the Protein ONLY diet that I have heard people talk about because I would never be able to sustain that in the long term. Also, I found that while I was losing and even now, carbs are the sole source of energy that gets me through hard workouts. They have a solid place in my diet and in the weight loss I have attained and maintained.

So, I <3 carbs! :)

I'm with you. There are many that stay to a very very low carb diet, for me it would I feel backfire for me and trigger weight gain in the future. My system would be shocked and gain weight out of shock.

Moderation for me and where the carbs are coming from is key. But to write them off as the Anti-Christ would backfire for me...

As far as weight loss I am losing great but the no or almost non existent carb people are 20% faster at losing.

I say we are still in the honeymoon phase so I am looking for longevity...

Maybe I'm right, maybe im wrong, just my 2 cents....

The only carbs I eat are the ones in high Protein foods.... Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. I really have a difficut time getting all my Protein in, so there isn't room for alot of carbohydrate. I do try to occasionally eat vegetables of some sort, but I stick to lower carb veggies. I also found that increasing my carb count for a couple days helps to break a stall.

if I want carbs i eat carbs. I have no problem eating some bread or Pasta. I can control myself and I'm still loosing weight

It isn't about the calories..when my diet tilts to far in the carb direction..I GET HUNGRY. At maintenance I certainly do include healthy carbs but in way way way smaller quantities. Example, I luv Dave's Killer bread, but I might have 1-2 slices per week. I just don't eat rice and noodles. My primary sources of carbs are veggies...Well, and some wine too, because I am far from perfect.

I'm choosing foods that give me the most nutritional bang for my buck. White, starchy carbs in the form of bread and Pasta don't. If I have them in the form of bread or rice, it's whole grain only. Otherwise I'm all about carbs in dairy, fruits and veggies. As long as they come naturally and aren't processed, I'll eat 'em!