Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Upset and Frustrated

Hello,

I had the sleeve surgery on Dec 21st and I have been struggling since I came home from the hospital with depression and feelings of regret. I know most of this stems from addiction to food. I feel like I have made a mistake. Not sure what to do with all these feelings and emotions.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you to help combat the depression etc.?

Thanks in Advance,

Amy from Columbia, SC

Hi. I regretted my sleeve every second of every day for 2 weeks . The 3rd week the feelings started to subside but definitely weren't gone. The weeks after that it got better every day. I don't know what to say to make them better for you now. Just know that it does stop. Every day, when you learn your new routine it gets easier and the thoughts start to shift to positive. The more variety of foods you are to add back help those feelings too. It takes time. I am now 7 weeks post sleeve and have no real regret. Sure there are moments where I think I wish I could eat this or that but at the end of the day I am thankful for the tool. I am glad that I can't eat the way I use to. I am happy I am losing weight and looking better.

Hang in there. The regret will start to fade soon. Believe me. Just give it some time. Hugs

Edited by HopeandAgony

Its callled "Buyers remorse" and I think everyone gets it. Especially when ur sore from surgery, starving from being on liquids, and unable to do the things we once did. Mine lasted about 4 weeks. Until I started on a soft died, I literally thought I'd starve on liquids. My first bite of refried Beans was like heaven.

The remorse eventually subsides, especially when ur jeans are getting too baggy...I promise. Eventually u won't question ur decision...hang in there. It DOES get better....

I am 8 days post op....I keep telling myself patience.....

I had to keep my hands busy, we were both sleeved on Dec 21st. I had regrets as well and was just released to start soft foods yesterday. As I feel more normal and recover things are getting better and better. I am counting my wins, not just the pounds but my favorite jeans I could not get back into are now falling off. I made it through the grocery store without impulse purchases etc. My biggest goal is to make every football game next year for my Senior in Band regardless of the heat. My doctor had me write a top 10 list of goals regarding this surgery and it helps to look at them. I'm sorry your having such a hard time but know you are not alone.

Hello,
I had the sleeve surgery on Dec 21st and I have been struggling since I came home from the hospital with depression and feelings of regret. I know most of this stems from addiction to food. I feel like I have made a mistake. Not sure what to do with all these feelings and emotions.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you to help combat the depression etc.?
Thanks in Advance,
Amy from Columbia, SC

I'm 49 days post-op and have (fortunately) never felt any of this...but did have intense yo-yo'ing mood swings for a few weeks...almost like I was not even myself. I wanted to cry frequently...and finally put my finger on the cause-->I didn't know what to expect---from anything. My tummy was confused....my bowels were confused...I got fatigued by simply taking a shower....but 2 weeks in, when I had my post-op visit...and stepped up onto that scale, I regained control......and so will you.

Our bodies have undergone tremendous changes...Please be gentle with yourself <3

Follow your plan of action and heal....the scale will make you happy...Patience...I am writing to you 8 days post op Revision RNY.....pain etc....this is my second shot at WLS...the band failed...I have to make this work.Be thankful...

While I didn't have regret over the surgery, I did struggle with depression for a few months with it. The more weight you lose and the more you learn your new way of eating the better it gets.

Right after surgery you're dealing with after effects of anesthesia, trauma to your digestive system, extreme hormone swings and the loss of your former friend, food. It's a lot to handle. I had a hard time coping without solid foods but it only lasts a few weeks.

This too shall pass.

Im 4 years post op and let me tell you it's normal, but it goes away once your able to eat solids. By that time you won't crave any junk food because you will have gone through carb withdraw. I lost 80lbs with this tool but I gained them all back. Now I'm doing the 5 day ouch test to see if my pouch still works. I wish I were in your shoes right now as weird as that sounds lol

I am three weeks post op and eating soft foods.That makes huge difference.Much better, although I have really had to slow down my eating.Eating fast is just not pe with out a lot of pain so I have really learned todo that.Also remember do not underestimate the anesthesia.It really took a toll with feeling depressed with me.This week I have noticed my mood gettinback being positive.Yankitexan68

It's very easy to feel down...soft foods....I know....my tastebuds have changed..,,

off topic - new to forum and frustrated because i can not figure out how to post a question like I need support = emotional eater and addicted to food and sugar. can someone please help me. emilyb21 sorry for butting in

Sugar was my thing for sure. I had to muscle through withdraw and I ventured out Sunday at 5 weeks and had a tiny piece of cake. My taste buds have changed and it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be. I would rather have sugar free Jello or pudding.