Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have long thick hair so I've always had a lot break off in the shower. I'm three months post op and just started noticing more than usual coming out when I shower and wash my hair. One thing that has helped me is only washing my hair every 3 days or so. I know that sounds gross but I have very dry and coarse hair so it doesn't get oily/dirty very quickly. I also make sure to brush it very gently to prevent tangles. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do thjat will absolutely prevent Hair loss. Getting enough Protein and being gentle to your hair will definitely help mitigate the loss. It will eventually grow back so try not to worry too much about it.

I have the same- very long thick wavy curly beautiful hair. It is one of my favorite things about myself.

I took Biotin and hit my Protein requirements thinking that would save me but anytime there is a large weight loss you are going to go through Hair loss.< /p>

I lost heavily from 3 months post op to about 6 months.

The good news is my hair is still thick and you would never notice there was a shortage or that I lost so much of it- i am the only person who can tell it is thinner and i actually think it is more manageable.

The bad news is from month 3-6 the hairs come out like crazy. I felt like i was pulling pounds out in the shower when i would wash my hair - scary amounts I would lose on the daily. I thought i would be bald in a week if it kept up. Everything I wore was covered in hair- jackets- chairs i sat in- my car. You don't think it's a problem until it's a problem! It was so crazy i contemplated cutting to a short cut for it to be less noticeable all over me but I hung in there. I am now almost 6 1/2 months post op, 70 lbs down and my hair loss has returned to normal. I am glad I didn't cut it off and I love it just as much as i did pre op.

I was also very worried so I hope this gives you some insight.

Hang in there!

I started losing some hair at 3-4 months. I'm 15 months now. It is growing back slowly. I am 58. I don't care!

I started losing my hair at 4 mos. It lasted 3 mos. During that time I had no period. I lost 50% of my hair. I freaked out a little. It's now starting to grow back. I dyed it every six weeks. Didn't wash it as much. I have thick, curly hair...well, not as thick now. ????

Weird question--has anyone asked their surgeon about propecia?? I've had a family member that's had wonderful results taking a pill a day--it helps hold on to the hair you have left--but only the brand name. Studies are showing that the generic version isn't working the same. My surgeon says no for me b/c I already have rather low blood pressure, but I'm SO curious as to if propecia could stop that telogen hair shedding phase that happens with rapid weight loss & physical trauma. I really wish I could take it & see!

I am sorry to say that I don't think I have a secret. From everything, I read, it seems to be a bit hit or miss if you are going to lose hair. I gave up taking Biotin after a couple months. I did hit my Protein goal (80-ish grams a day) pretty consistently, but so did lots of others who lost hair. I take Vitamins every day, but so does everyone. I am a very slow loser, however, and that may be related to not having lost hair, but I really don't know.

I was too . I used topex Fiber spray on some thin spots . I didn't like the Shampoo it tangled my hair . It will happen I wear hair extensions mine are clips but I wish I had gotten the ones on a string . They where pricy but I wear them everyday. I researched it heavy and didn't find anyway to prevent it .

Edited by Tammylb

For those who have had children, how does the post surgery Hair loss compare to the hair loss you may have had post pregnancy? I lost a lot of hair around 3-6 months postpartum (c section) and I'm hoping it's comparable (but not any worse).

This scares the sh*t out of me. I take Biotin twice a day 10,000 mcg. Looks like I'll be getting extensions!

I'm a few months out from surgery and I'm prepping now lol!! Started to increase my Biotin and I'm working on my Protein now versus after the surgery. I don't know if that will make a difference but it makes me feel better at least trying to be proactive. It may be no use but for now it's my plan. I'm also thinking about cutting my hair shorter so the weight doesn't help the Hair loss.

I was about four months and only loss a little hair. The Hair loss stop just as quick as it started, but it's still to early in the game for me to rule out any more hair loss. I'm 6 1/2 months out now. I did up my Protein a lot , but not sure if that really helped are not.