Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my month and my year!

Hi! This is my first post. I've enjoyed reading through all the fabulous posts. I'm posting now because I have my first WLS visit with the Surgeon on 1/7/2016.

A little about me. Divorced for 8 years. Two grown children who are happily off living their own lives. I work full time as a nightshift RN. Three 12 hour shifts a week plus the occasional OT.

I've been off and on about having WLS. I actually filled out the online application a year ago but canceled the appt. I ignored my weight for yet another year. When my clothes got tighter, my energy level tanked, my knees/back hurt and I was breathless climbing a flight of stairs, I got back on the scale and saw the 25 more pounds I had gained over the year.

That was it. I did some serious research and I called in November and made the appt. I won't be changing my mind this time.

I feel like I've been dieting my whole life. Every diet known, I've given it a whirl. I've had some success. I lost 50 lbs right after I got divorced. Stress and revenge might have been factors there. Ha. I kept it off a bit but I piled it back on and more eventually.

I'm 54, 5'2 and about 225 lbs. I'm going to wait for my official weigh in at my appt to be official starting weight. This is not the heaviest I've been but it's close. I don't have a lot of comorbidities. Hypothyroidism.

If all goes well, I should have surgery in June or July. I'm leaning toward the gastric sleeve but I'm open to gastric bypass if that's what the Surgeon feels is best for me.

So here's to 2016. Happy New Year, Happy new me.

Edited by Lemm61

Good luck

Thanks! I'm nervous and excited but mostly committed. As an RN in a Hospital setting, I see the health issues associated with obesity. And it gets worse, the older you get. I also see obese Nurses who retire after a long career with ruined knees, chronic back pain and constantly hurting feet. They hobble into retirement.

I don't want that for myself.

Here's to a healthier you!!! ????

@Lemm I too am an RN and I know the wear and tear our bodies take in this profession. I made the decision to have surgery in July and after all the hoops required by insurance I was sleeved 12/17. I've not had 1 single regret since surgery. Good luck on your journey.

Good for you!!! I must say, in my long running health issues, the nurses are who have over and over again saved my mental and physical health.

Thanks! I'm nervous and excited but mostly committed. As an RN in a Hospital setting, I see the health issues associated with obesity. And it gets worse, the older you get. I also see obese Nurses who retire after a long career with ruined knees, chronic back pain and constantly hurting feet. They hobble into retirement.

I don't want that for myself.

Getting real. Just finished my Nutrition questionnaire for my Appt tomorrow. I see the Surgeon and the Nutritionist both tomorrow. Then on Monday I have the Psych Evaluation. My insurance requires the 6 month preop diet.

Appt with the Nutritionist and the Surgeon this am. They were running behind so I waited 30 minutes beyond my appt time.

Checked in with vital signs, general med history review and weigh in with the RN.

Wt 1/7: 223 lbs (I'm 5'2") So that's my official starting weight. Owning it.

Saw the Nutritionist first. She reviewed my Nutrition questionnaire that I had completed at home. We discussed my weight/dieting history and eating patterns. She was so very nice. We went over the pre op diet and post op diet. Protein products, Vitamin products, portions, Water intake, etc. Very thorough. Lots of detailed handouts to take home and some samples. I will be able to see her 5 more times per my Insurance. There is also a group class that I'll attend to review the post op diet requirements again before Surgery.

The Surgeon went over my medical history, weight goals and dieting history. Did a physical exam. He agreed I was a candidate for WLS. He presented information on both the VGS and the Gastric bypass. He said he would be comfortable with either of these procedures for me.

He said no decision had to be made today. I felt comfortable with him and he took his time. I think I saw him for almost 30 minutes.

After that I met with the WLS Coordinator to review my Insurance requirements and WLS timeline. Good news is I only have a 3 month requirement for a pre op Diet program. There is no set amount of weight loss requirement, just don't gain. I'm going to try to get a good jump start to healthier eating and exercise habits for these 3 months.

Finally, I went next door to the Outpatient Lab and had an EKG, CXR and Labs drawn. I see the Psych Doctor on Monday. The only other procedure I'll need is endoscopy. WLS Coordinator will call me to schedule.

Whew, it was a long day but I felt good about it.

Feel free to ask questions if anyone is getting close to their first appt or contemplating making an appt.

Edited by Lemm61

Psych evaluation done today. Doctor told me at the end that she would have no problem recommending me for Surgery. Took about an hour and a half. There was a 12 page form to complete and then a one on one meeting with the Doctor.

Still have the endoscopy to get done.

Moving along!

As for Protein Shakes you want isolate to be the first ingredient and you want less than 7 grams of sugar and 10 grams of Protein per 50 calories

I had 2 endoscopes done. Six weeks apart because the first found a small duodenal ulcer and a large hiatal hernia. After weeks of meds, the second endoscopy showed the ulcer had healed.

I finish my supervised diet on 5/1. Paperwork for Insurance approval will be sent right after that. The Surgeon scheduled me (tentatively) for 6/1.

I've lost 30 lbs on the supervised diet and that moves me to a BMI of lower than 40 now. I hope that doesn't screw up the approval.