Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overall how have your moods changed?

Hi I'm pre-op. I've been reading some studies on this forum which suggest due to the changes of hormones from the op, it may lead to depression in some people.

I'm interested to hear from people that are post op.

Overall ......

Do you feel happier?

Depressed?

Or the same?

Tomorrow will be one week since my surgery and I have to say, for now, I'm a little depressed. I know that will change after I feel a little better but i feel like I've been in pain forever lol and I haven't eaten FOREVER, but I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel once I'm all healed up and I can get back to exercising and eating, that'll be awesome :D :P

I'm a little over 4 months post op, and the first couple months were a roller coaster of emotions for me. I spent a lot of time super depressed, or anxious, or both. Now, things are starting to balance out and my mood is definitely balancing out as well. If you do have hormonal issues, they will get better. :)

I'm 4 days post op and I'm super depressed. It hurts more then I ever imagined and I miss holding and playing with my kids. And it's almost Christmas.

Hoping things look up soon.

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully long term the positives will out weigh the negatives.

I'm 4 days post op and I'm super depressed. It hurts more then I ever imagined and I miss holding and playing with my kids. And it's almost Christmas.

Hoping things look up .

Hopefully this is very short term for you. I'm sure soon when the weights starts dropping off, you will have heaps more energy to play with your kids, more then ever before ????.

I'm seven weeks post op and I was miserable emotionally for about ten days. Once the discomfort calmed down and I could get my fluids and Protein in I just felt tons better.

I was a little moody the first few weeks but then came this amazing energy and motivation. I'm not sure if I just feel better because my blood sugar is lower or what but I'll take it!

I am just over 1 month post op. I was tired a lot the first weeks after surgery, but I didn't have any trouble with my moods. I suffer from depression and am on antidepressants. I don't know if that equalized my moods or not, but ...

I was really worried about the moods swings I had read about. I spent a week at home with my parents and was worried about how I would deal with my Dad's sometimes thoughtless comments. I enlisted my mom to help shut him down if needed and a couple of friends who I could call for reassurance, but Dad behaved! and I didn't have the mood swings.

All I can tell you is that it all gets better. This too shall pass!

Happy Holidays,

pam

Hi I have never been depress and I am almost 2 years pet opt .

Update: so I've turned the pain corner and today and feeling much better. I saw my dr today and apparently my drain dropped inside of me and that is what was causing so much intense pain. He removed it and I feel much better. I was also finally able to get some of the gas out of my tummy last night ???? super gross but oh so necessary. I'm snuggling my 1 year old right now!

Update: so I've turned the pain corner and today and feeling much better. I saw my dr today and apparently my drain dropped inside of me and that is what was causing so much intense pain. He removed it and I feel much better. I was also finally able to get some of the gas out of my tummy last night ???? super gross but oh so necessary. I'm snuggling my 1 year old right now![

Excellent news mrsob1. Glad to hear you are feeling better and your kids have you back again! ????

Edited by WannabeH

Right after my surgery in Feb 2015, I felt great. I had a little bit of anxiety about a month later as the weight loss slowed down and that feeling recurred several times as the weight plateaued for a few days over the course of the following several months. At the sixth month point in August, I was very happy with the progress. I had reached a weight that I was satisfied with. Then in mid August, I had a bowel obstruction which required a resection and revision of the gastric bypass and ended up in the hospital for three weeks. Since then, I've had three additional partial obstructions which resolved without surgery. It has been a roller coaster ride since August and I have sunk into depression. Or rather the underlying depression which always seems to be there, came to the surface. I'm back on psych meds. I do not regret having had the surgery. I'm in a much better place and can do so much more than I had ever done before. I have a positive and hopeful outlook for the future, at least when the symptoms of the depression aren't weighing me down. I think overall the feelings you feel will be all over the place and will depend on your physiology, history, progress, situation, and outlook. The best thing I've found to do is to live each day as it comes.

Hi I'm pre-op. I've been reading some studies on this forum which suggest due to the changes of hormones from the op, it may lead to depression in some people.

I'm interested to hear from people that are post op.

Overall ......Outstanding !!!!!!!!

Do you feel happier?Most definitely !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depressed? Not at all......

Or the same? Certainly NOT the same. Much happier person. I'm just 1/2 way to goal and I already feel great. Here is the kicker....Were I simply doing Atkins & exercise or Weight Watchers or some other diet that I've done in the past......I'd be at serious risk right now. Risk because I feel so good that I'd most likely backslide and resume some bad habits....the weight loss would stall....and then reverse.....the cycle of weight battle would resume and I'd be very disappointed in myself.

​I'm very grateful that the sleeve is in place. I know that I WILL power on and reach and maintain goal. My new eating habits are a permanent way of living and I love it.

Comments inserted above ^^^^^^^^

I can only speak for myself and my own experiences.

There is absolutely no way, shape or form that I would hesitate having sleeve surgery all over again. Best gift I've ever given myself.

I have only one regret............

Why didn't I do it sooner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#kickingmyself

Edited by Dub

Right after my surgery in Feb 2015, I felt great. I had a little bit of anxiety about a month later as the weight loss slowed down and that feeling recurred several times as the weight plateaued for a few days over the course of the following several months. At the sixth month point in August, I was very happy with the progress. I had reached a weight that I was satisfied with. Then in mid August, I had a bowel obstruction which required a resection and revision of the gastric bypass and ended up in the hospital for three weeks. Since then, I've had three additional partial obstructions which resolved without surgery. It has been a roller coaster ride since August and I have sunk into depression. Or rather the underlying depression which always seems to be there, came to the surface. I'm back on psych meds. I do not regret having had the surgery. I'm in a much better place and can do so much more than I had ever done before. I have a positive and hopeful outlook for the future, at least when the symptoms of the depression aren't weighing me down. I think overall the feelings you feel will be all over the place and will depend on your physiology, history, progress, situation, and outlook. The best thing I've found to do is to live each day as it comes.

Steve you have been through such a difficult time. I can only hope you have no more complications, and life becomes easier for you. I hope those sunny happy days are just around the corner; and I appreciate your advice to live each day as it comes.