Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the first 4 days after surgery like? Any Dos and don’ts…..

@@Scottyd1264 - depends on what you are planning on doing. you appear to be starting a new job as well? Check with your doctor about physical limitations. Mine was restricted to not lifting a certain amount. I also couldn't drive while on pain meds. I didn't take them that long anyways. I had a very easy recovery and other than lifting I was allowed to do whatever I wanted. I could've gone back to work the following Monday. My surgery was on a Wednesday.

I am 4 days post op today. The first 2 days for me were filled with miserable nausea. I could barely keep down my medication and definitely couldn't (and still can't) hit my Water or Protein intake goals. I can get around the house okay and do a couple of hours of work and such via computer, but the recliner and heating pad are definitely still my 2 best friends. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to go back to work this quickly, but every one recovers differently.

Other than the lifting restrictions, I was allowed to drive, hope, etc. I only took pain meds the first day after arriving at home. After that, I took liquid Tylenol a couple times just at night. But other than that, I had no complications....no nausea, very little pain. And I even had additional hernia repair along with my sleeve surgery.

Again, everyone is different, so some have easier recoveries and some harder.

My first 3 days were in the hospital and they were wonderful. No nausea, only pain when trying to get out of bed to use the bathroom, easy peasy. When I got home, it was hell. I ended up getting dehydrated because every sip I took made my stomach gurgle, I was in a lot of pain because I couldn't get up from laying down, the pain meds tastes disgusting so I couldn't take them.. Ugh. At two weeks out its like a whole different world. I feel great now!

The first 4 days for me were really about just getting by and getting enough fluids in. I ended up staying in the hospital and extra 2 days because my potassium was low and I wasn't able to drink enough. Don't even worry about Protein or anything in that first little bit of time. You really have to focus on staying hydrated. Good luck!

I was in the hospital for 4 days due to dehydration and a really low heart rate. Every day gets better. It has now been 1 week since my surgery. I take pain meds only at night. I'm on liquids for another week. I have a tough time getting in all of the fluids but I'm working on it. I look forward to tomorrow being even better than today! ????

I was sleeved Monday (12/14) and had one day the hospital. I am actually hitting my liquid goals. I started full liquids today and did great. Very little pain today. The only reason I even took pain meds today was I over did it wrapping gifts and doing laundry. Everyone is different and some people are still in the hospital at this point.

You'll gets lots of different responses because everyone's post op life is different. Mine was really easy. No pain, gas, or nausea. I went home after 2 days.

Day 1 - I woke up in recovery. Had to pee. Was able to get out of the bed independently. Was wheeled to the bathroom door and walked in on my own. I had a bit of a wait for my room so I was in recovery for another hour. I peed 2 more times while there. Told the nurses as long as I had the IV I would pee. Asked & started on ice chips. Finally up in my room. Walked in and got in bed unassisted. Peed some more. Made phone calls. Doctor's came around. Declined pain pump. Was given tea, Water, ProSoruce nocarb Protein supplement and Jello. Refused Jello. (I think it's disgusting).

Day 2. - Walked around the floor. More peeing. food was tea, veg broth, more ProSource. Watched tv, played on iPad, made phone calls.

Day 3 - Finally went home. Walking, drinking, peeing, Napped in my own bed propped up on pillows. Played with my cat.

Day 4 - Same as day 3. Lots of flatulence. No pain, just tooting. Took a walk outside this time. Really short walk to the corner of my street and back.

I was sleeved on Monday. Had pain pump, so minimal pain issues in the hospital. That night, I got up and walked the halls and peed. The next day, I went home midday and took a huge nap. Took about two doses of my pain meds that day. Very sore when I got up and walked. Walked like the hunchback. Wednesday morning I took one dose of pain meds and that was it. Been getting my Protein in and liquids, but it's an all day affair. Yesterday, I drive and ran a few errands, but belly was sore after a while. Today, I ran a bunch of errands and feel great! Lots of energy!

Got released from the hospital on day 1, my friend picked me up and I went and stayed at her house. On the way there we stopped to get the pain script filled and that was an ordeal and a half - we went to 7 different pharmacies trying to get this thing filled, finally ended up calling the doctor and asking him to call in something else since no one had hydrocodone. After driving around and going in and out of pharmacies she thought I would get to the house and crash, but instead I got a bottle of Water and sat on the couch with them watching tv.

Day 2 I kind of lounged around a bit, got a shower and into some comfy clothes, watched a movie and napped and then later that evening I drove myself home since I really hadn't had any pain meds and didn't really need them.

Day 3 was a Monday and I ended up working from home the whole day. The biggest issue I had was that I didn't move around enough and I got a little bit stiff from sitting. The longer I sat somewhere the harder it was to get up the next time.

Day 4 was pretty much a repeat of Day 3, worked from home but set things aside and walked around a little more so I wasn't so stiff, even walked on the treadmill for like 10 minutes at a very very slow speed.

By Day 6 I was back at work full time.

I was pretty lucky though, I have very little pain, no nausea, no complications my biggest problem I had was being able to get in and out of bed because my right side was sore. I finally learned to slowly roll over on my left side and basically do a push up off the night stand, that took the pressure off of my abs

Does anyone have any suggestions on how 2 keep liquids from hurting my stomach. Each time I drink my stomach hurt. 7 days since my surgery. Lost only 10 lbs. Is that good? Help what food can I eat for my second week ????

Has anyone who was released with a drain had issues with pain near the drain site? So far that is my worst pain. Well, that and gas that I seem to keep dealing with. I am 5 days post-op and this is not my first lap surgery (I had a tubal and complete hysterectomy in '98 and '03), but my first performed robotically.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how 2 keep liquids from hurting my stomach. Each time I drink my stomach hurt. 7 days since my surgery. Lost only 10 lbs. Is that good? Help what food can I eat for my second week

Play around with different temperatures. Some do better with ice cold, some lukewarm and other need hot beverages.As for hat to eat for your 2 week, you should ask your nutritionist. Eating phases vary greatly from program to program.