Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

people not educating themselves

I think some of the problem is what got presented and the follow up. There are certain things that because of my other problems, make it to where some "rules" I can't follow or have to modify. That is where the problem comes in: some surgeons refusing to recognize that you can't say (which my surgeon did) well no one has had those problems before so you must be the problem, not that the diagnosis you had before surgery AND after surgery AND the other GI problems together might be the issue.

@@swimbikerun I appreciate what you shared...but, I don't understand why folks continue to test the waters and eat and drink what their surgeons and NUT's advised them against. However, I appreciate everyone's honesty when sharing in the forum--bad habits are not easy to break and I can only hope and pray that I follow alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of the rules. I'm thankful to have another chance with the new RNY tool.

So I am on a few Facebook pages for VSG. One individual who is 3 months post VSG is having a lot of back pain so he takes a Tylenol in the AM. The Tylenol isn't doing anything so he asks about taking something like aspirin since he isn't sure if the surgeon meant no NSAIDs ever or just after surgery.

The first reply he gets is go ahead take some ibuprofen, as long as you follow the directions you will be fine. Just don't take too many. :huh:

Mind you this is a closed board for VSG members.

How is it that you have the original person no knowing if his surgeon is no NSAIDs forever or no NSAIDs for x# of months/years after surgery. Then you have some tell go ahead and use a NSAID, you will be fine.

Now the rest of the later posts he was told No NSAIDs ever.

It amazed me how long it took somebody to say call your surgeon to see what you can take.

Mine allows me to take 100 mg of Celebrex which is the low dose. COX2 inhibitors have a lower GI risk than most NSAIDs so he is okay with it on as as needed basis. Many surgeons do not allow Celebrex.

Ask your surgeon folks.

My surgeon has an "800" number that is staffed 24/7 by a bariatric nurse. They can get in touch with the bariatric surgeon on call if necessary. I would bet the NSAID question is one they deal with every day if not multiple times a day.

People are confused not because they are not educating themselves but because they are over-educating themselves. They are reading and listening to their own instructions, and then are going online or talking to friends and reading other people's instructions, which, needless to say, are as different as every surgeon is. The more they try to solve the problem, the worse the problem gets. Most people are asking these questions with an answer in mind and are just looking for a majority out of what they have already heard. Unfortunately, what they receive is usually just more confusion.

Or you have people who just take whatever vs. a sound answer. I've had that. I had people say I know nothing with pages of medical research to back up what I said. The research conflicted with their beliefs. Sort of the same story with my surgeon.

I used to work in IT. Early in my career an experienced technical manager said "it's like putting up a tent, if you can just nail down one corner, the rest starts falling in place ". He was talking about user requirements...but I have felt this is a great analogy for events like losing massive weight. It's like, when obesity is no longer the all consuming topic....when the health corner of the tent gets nailed down... it just seems to support other improvements.

I chose my surgeon based on his surgical skills.

I was astounded at the people in my first nutrition class who didn't know basic nutrition. Even my 7 year old knew more than they did. I think many people really are just clueless. I only had to do a group class for the first, and the other five were solo with my nutritionist, but even some of her statements were counter to what she would say one month to the next.

My surgeon preaches low carb.. no grains or sugar.. but then she would tell me to try oatmeal for Breakfast.. and have a banana.. then tell me to keep my carbs under 25 a day..

Also the products they pushed weren't the best as far as calories and Protein content, so I found my own..

They didn't really talk about stalls either.. just that the average was 8-10 pounds a month with the sleeve.

I also learned in a leadership class that it takes 7 times for someone to hear something before it sinks in..

@@Chrystee oatmeal has other benefits, as does the banana. Its eating that vs. a bowl of Cheerios that is the issue. Most people I don't think have been introduced to making a healthy pizza at 400 some calories vs. 2000 for a heart attack special.

<p>@@swimbikerun Not for me, I have to keep my carbs lower. However, my point is that a banana is not a low carb fruit. A better option would have been berries. And oatmeal goes against my surgeons low carb recommendations.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>And that just goes to show that we all have different recommendations or beliefs on a "healthy" diet.</p>

Edited by Chrystee

No a banana isn't but neither are berries (fruit), of which you can eat too much of and still get sugar. Both are still better choices all the way around for the quality of nutrition than other items like a McDonalds' hamburger or the sugar filled Cereal many eat. That's why I compared a veggie flatbread pizza with a meat lovers pizza. Pizza isn't the best for you, but if you are going to eat it, make it better.

Oatmeal isn't the greatest, but it has Fiber, potassium, Protein, more so than a sugary Cereal or a McDonalds' Breakfast of eggs, sausage, toast, etc.

Its relative. The other item is how far out you are, people are going to eat less particular. The idea is to give them more choices vs. more processed foods (although oatmeal fits in that category).

actually, not for me. I've learned that even a "healthy" bowl of oatmeal will cause me to crave more carbs. or a "healthy" pizza. There are certain foods that cause me to crave more and more.

@Chrystee Not for me, I have to keep my carbs lower. However, my point is that a banana is not a low carb fruit. A better option would have been berries. And oatmeal goes against my surgeons low carb recommendations

No a banana isn't but neither are berries (fruit), of which you can eat too much of and still get sugar. Both are still better choices all the way around for the quality of nutrition than other items like a McDonalds' hamburger or the sugar filled cereal many eat. That's why I compared a veggie flatbread pizza with a meat lovers pizza. Pizza isn't the best for you, but if you are going to eat it, make it better.

Oatmeal isn't the greatest, but it has Fiber, potassium, Protein, more so than a sugary cereal or a McDonalds' Breakfast of eggs, sausage, toast, etc.

Its relative. The other item is how far out you are, people are going to eat less particular. The idea is to give them more choices vs. more processed foods (although oatmeal fits in that category).

High quality steel cut oatmeal helps keep the brain fog away, so I eat some most mornings (2 ozs.) as well as some blue berries. I stay in the neighborhood of 65g of carbs and 100g of Protein per day at 1000 cal. So I don't think this is bad advice from the NUT.