Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

people not educating themselves

I keep thinking about this post and I'm not mad. But this website is a group of forums meant to help people isn't it? We can read all of the material in our books prepared for us, we can ask Dr. and nurses and nutritionists and get the answers we need. But how many of our Dr's or nurses or nutritionists have ever experienced this first hand? Isn't it good to be able to hear from others who live it everyday? For me at least, I like to hear about what others do or have done, that is why I come here. Maybe if there are those who are tired of reading same old questions, they have nothing further to learn or gain by being here?

If you do the math you will realize that half of the population is below average. But I noticed that many of the self pays like me really had to do my own research ahead of time. Thankfully there is this site and others which I could get some really good info. But there are those who think WLS is a magic wand not a tool are probably not doing their homework.

"."?

Shouldn't periods be discussed in the "Female Only" forum? :)

"."?

Shouldn't periods be discussed in the "Female Only" forum? :)

Hahaha!!!

I had a lot more written then I decided to delete it. It was too negative and judgmental. I'm not here to bash anyone, we get that enough in the real world. Who cares how many times someone asks the same question over and over? I mean, we've all struggled at some point, right? So, I decided to edit my post to nothing because I don't want to be shaming the very same people who are in my very same boat.

Must've been on my period when I wrote the original.

@@cookarue Sometimes people need the wakeup call to pay attention. Sadly it is sometimes a pop that does it. That being said, with the stigma of obesity & WLS, sometimes you have to simply suck it up and deal. Life is like that.

I really think they don't have enough self awareness of their actions and then have the surgery and realize this is real. I saw people in our pre-op nutritional classes sitting in their cars eating fast food breakfasts and drinking vats of soda or iced coffees. It blew my mind to think people are surgically altering their body to lose weight but not putting in the effort at all. Probably the same people asking what to eat and drink.

People should ask questions, but maybe they should take a little self initiative and search on the forum for similar questions and answers or "Google" it, then ask their question.

For example, instead of asking "Is a stall normal", they can search to see "Yes, it is" and further read if there are things they maybe can do to modify their lifestyle, such as making sure they are eating enough Protein, drinking enough Water, exercising, or just wait it out for a week or two, etc..

Also, by researching a little and seeing common answers, they can have a little more confidence the information is valid.

And as someone in the veterinary field I can tell you most people only listen to about half of the instructions we give them (if we're lucky) The vet will tell them something, I will repeat it, we will send them home with those same instructions in writing and they STILL don't follow directions. We get a phone call later asking the same questions we've already answered. Or a frustrating call two weeks later wondering why their pet isn't better only to find out they never filled the Rx we gave them or only did treatment for a couple days rather than the full two weeks. And then throw in the "but I read on the Internet....." and "my friend's vet said....." excuses and It makes me want to strangle them. It's incredibly frustrating and I feel like I'm wasting my breathe most of the time.

Client compliance is a major problem. We have whole continuing education conferences addressing the issue. I'm sure it's similar in human medicine with patient compliance. Yes, it's often a lot of info but you also need to take some responsibility for your own health and well being. READ what they send home. ASK QUESTIONS if you don't fully understand. Spend some time on the Internet. With the internet's access to almost unlimited information, there is no excuse for going into an ELECTIVE life changing surgery without knowing all the facts, including how varied different programs can be.

As an RN for the last 23yrs, who's worked in clinics for 11 of those, I can vouch for this. Half the patients are horrible and do what they want. Consequences or not.

I read the online patient manuals of several promient hospitals before I ever saw my doctor. So when I met with my NUT I decided that I would listen to her and consult and try to follow her instructions, but honestly if what she told me differed from published research and/or from what they were doing at the Brigham (aka part of Harvard Medical School) I definitely thought twice. I also watched MANY youtube videos by Clusie and KStar and others as well. Those two really inspired me. They were like the video girlfriend's guide to weight loss surgery. Incredibly inspiring as many of you are. And yes as VSG Ann said a lot of us really asked questions just to get a sense of, well, if our NUT was nuts. Mine was not super helpful and I found just as much if not more on the internet and on these boards. My surgeon and all the rest of his staff were phenomenal and very helpful and informative. The NP I see for post op has the patience of a saint. And she herself also had WLS. Very helpful indeed.

I also think there may be some element, like James Marusek said, of wanting a personal touch. Patients may also expect a personal touch – they may feel unsure if what they research themselves online or in books is applicable to them, and may expect their healthcare team to explain it to them.

Alex, I think you might be very correct and possibly this is an area that many of the more cranky veterans might want to consider...a friend of mine said "most people in the world are walking around with the umbilical cords in their hands looking for a place to plug in." They have been so beaten up by their families, the world et. al. they just don't have the confidence to make their own decisions even after they have done the research. They need/crave outside vindication. So give the people looking for validation some grace. They just might not have the confidence to make their own decision.

A further observation, when you gain control over one area of your life, you tend to get control over other areas. I've seen this in others as well as myself. I think this is why relationships change after weight loss as well as finances.

I was self-pay, but nutrition education was still a required part of the program. There is really no excuse as far as I can see for any surgeon not to provide nutrition education as it is critical for success and a healthy outcome.

Unfortunately, quality of education does vary tremendously.

Also, not everyone has the same capacity and capability for comprehending/understanding, and listening/reading/literacy skills run the gamut.

Throw in possible language barriers, response to stress, etc. and a whole range of preconceived ideas and life experience, it's a wonder any of us get through this at all!

I just wanted to add to this. Weight loss surgery is a life-changing, uncommon, and very complex procedure. It's scary and completely foreign to almost everyone's experience. Add to that different learning styles and support I tend to give almost everyone the benefit of the doubt.

@@Djmohr ...I'm in total agreement with you. Choosing a surgeon and surgery center designated as a Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery for the Treatment of Obesity guarantees to offer a comprehensive bariatric program that ensures the highest level of patient safety and support throughout the weight loss journey. Personally, I chose my surgeon because he specializes in treating morbid obesity and is a part of a team who has performed over 5,000 laparoscopic weight loss surgery procedures, which makes them the most experienced in my area. I’m excited because I know that both my surgeon and the hospital will work together to ensure that I receive the best quality of care possible. Don’t get me wrong, I am a tad bit nervous just like anyone else, but I find peace in having done my research and finding a center of excellence in my area. Although self-pay, I too have been flooded with information and I find that it's important to rely on the information in my binder just as it is for me to rely on the information in my Bible. ;)

Edited by DDN

I have watched people drink alcohol and sodas, eat fried food, go to McD's, you name it. So I do agree that many patients are going to stray.

There are others though who do have problems and I think could use better education. Round and round we see the complaints: after care is just not there. That is because the $$$$ aren't there. I can see a lot of the education I got was boring. With all due respect, there are a number of ways to fix that. I know mine would never ask me: they didn't want EBM when I gave it to them. Considering their actions, I'd still say that I need to see more work on behalf of the surgeons' due to the $$$$ issue.

As an RN for the last 23yrs, who's worked in clinics for 11 of those, I can vouch for this. Half the patients are horrible and do what they want. Consequences or not.

@@swimbikerun I appreciate what you shared...but, I don't understand why folks continue to test the waters and eat and drink what their surgeons and NUT's advised them against. However, I appreciate everyone's honesty when sharing in the forum--bad habits are not easy to break and I can only hope and pray that I follow alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of the rules. I'm thankful to have another chance with the new RNY tool.