Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to have at home?

Surgery in 2 weeks. Anything you wish you'd had available to you when you got home from the surgery? Guess I'm thinking about what to make sure to stock up on -- not just food, but other items that you hadn't thought of but you wish you would have? Thanks!

I'm home a few days now. Before surgery I stocked up on sugar free pop cycles, chicken noodle Soup (broth tastes better to me than just "broth"), moved my recliner so it was right where I wanted it. Laid out pillows, it's amazing how much better you feel with a pillow wedged here or there when you sitting. Also walk around your house now and think of things you might bump into as you make your way around.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had my surgery yet but so far things that I've purchased based on what I've gathered from other posts are:

Gas X strips

Pill box (the Monday through Sunday kind for all your vitamins)

Pill cutter

Heating pad (for the hospital and home)

I'm sure others have more suggestions!

One thing that I never thought of but my NUT recommended and I use everyday is a mug warmer. I bought a little coffee mate one for $10 and it keeps my food/ broth warm while I eat it since it takes forever to get everything down.

I brought extra small bowls and plates and baby spoons and forks to eat with. That really helped with Portion Control. Loved using the tiny spoons when I was able to eat yogurt. They helped slow me down.

A good scale came in handy when I was able to start purée and solids.

Don't overestimate the amount of soup/broth you'll need. I had surgery in March and still have plenty of broth and Soup leftover.

A food scale is great to have once you start solid foods.

I loved my ninja blender for Protein shakes.

My Dr gave me this list

strainer

Measuring cups/spoons

Baby/toddler utensils

blender

scale

I wish I would have bought different tasting things instead of a bunch of the same. My taste changed a lot the first two weeks and it was hard to eat everything I tried pre-pp. For example, I only liked orange Popsicles and that was my least favorite before, the same with Jello.

What I wish I had purchased ahead of time that I sent my mom out for today:

Gas X strips. So many gas X strips.

Some sort of laxative, those narcotics did a number on me in the hospital. I wouldn't wish this pain on my worst enemy.

I was allowed zero calorie sports drinks with electrolytes, these have really helped me today. This morning I swore I'd need to be taken to the hospital for dehydration. Water tastes absolutely disgusting right now for some reason so diluting the Gatorade has been wonderful.

Different kinds of Soups I can stick in a blender. I'm allowed strained/blenderized soups.. The problem is I went through a couple for I found one I could tolerate

Ice packs

It's been a trip so far!

What I wish I had purchased ahead of time that I sent my mom out for today:

Gas X strips. So many gas X strips.

Some sort of laxative, those narcotics did a number on me in the hospital. I wouldn't wish this pain on my worst enemy.

I was allowed zero calorie sports drinks with electrolytes, these have really helped me today. This morning I swore I'd need to be taken to the hospital for dehydration. Water tastes absolutely disgusting right now for some reason so diluting the Gatorade has been wonderful.

Different kinds of Soups I can stick in a blender. I'm allowed strained/blenderized soups.. The problem is I went through a couple for I found one I could tolerate

Ice packs

It's been a trip so far!

Great ideas - I'm poaching some of them! I hope you have a quick recovery! You made me think of something else...soluble Fiber. It will help going to the bathroom. I had a c-section a year ago and that was something all my c-section friends told me to get before surgery since the last thing you would want to do is push too hard and tear stitches. Same thing applies here I feel. Made all the difference. Some other people have posted about a tea called "Smooth Move" - sounds like it works well too!

I just made my home easily accessible. I cleaned, did laundry, washed extra comforters & my favorite comfy robe. I also made some vegetable broth and stocked up on 2 week's worth of Protein shakes/drinks. I stocked up on cat food and kitty litter, then moved things around so I could tend to them without lifting or bending the wrong way.

My surgery isn't until Jan 4 and for some reason this post has me excited :)

The one thing that helped me post op the most was a wedge pillow so I could go from lying down to sitting up with less pain.

First 5 days I lived on Protein shakes, greek yogurt, Cream of rice, home made chicken broth, (frozen into ice cubes for easy storage... do this with all your Soups btw). Only thing I can think that I didn't have was chewable Tylenol. I munched a couple of Tylenol Jrs when needed rather than the narcotic Syrup they sent me home with. Just didn't need it and it tends to give me icky tummy on a good day so I skipped it.

G2 Gatorade. Pill crusher. Sf Jello. Small pillow for your belly.

I'm 3 weeks out now from Rny. It's been great. No complications and am able to tolerate all foods so far.