Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else come home for surgery with diarrhea?

Good lord. I went in with it, and was assured it was from the pre op diet, but never expected to come out with it. I heard all the stories of people not able to go for days, yet the day after surgery I came out firing... literally. I think my lack of gall bladder does this but just curious if anyone else had experience.

Edited by HopeandAgony

I didn't and I had my gallbladder out years ago and had IBS as a complicating factor (The IBS is pretty much gone now; used to go every day if not 2x a day, now it's once every 3 days).

I didn't have a bowel movement until 4 days after surgery.

I have no idea why you'd be having the complications like that, but it probably is just how your body decided to react after surgery. So sorry and I hope you start feeling better soon!

I was loose as a goose until I got on soft foods, and then I had the worst Constipation I ever had in my life - like pushing a watermelon through a straw.

I also had loose BMs 2 days after surgery it started. I do not remember how long it lasted, but it started with the Protein shakes before I left hospital. Now what I would give for those loose ones, the Constipation is the worst. I was in tears the other day. Spoke with docs nurse and she said take milk of mag, stop benefiber and I eat prunes and take prune juice every night. Kind of went off topic, sorry. Call doc if it persists. good luck

Ia, very much so this is day 8 so iam on full liquids its stoppd some but no real bowel movement or anything for a lot ive seen it can take a while i mean are new tummis are

Learning how to digest so it makes since

Thanks everyone. Both sides of it sound awful. I'm so nauseous though it's making me feel awful.

I had violent, frequent, immediate poop soop (sic) for two and a half years post op until I finally smartened up and started taking the pro----biotics (sic) people advised me to use.

It worked in less than 24 hours.

I had violent, frequent, immediate poop Soup for two and a half years post op until I finally smartened up and started taking the Probiotics people advised me to use.

It worked in less than 24 hours.

Does brand matter?

No, in fact it has been the opposite for me. I only go every other day now and sometimes I need to use Miralax for Constipation. TMI sorry????

Yes sirree...I stocked up on Miralax prior to surgery and never used it..I have hardly ever been constipated but the other? Wow! In fact I carry imodium everywhere I go...

Are you still on an all liquid diet? liquid in, liquid out!

It seems people are either constipated or have diarrhea, and both are normal. ????????????

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

I am 5 days post op. I started having diarrhea 2 days post op. I had my surgery in Mexico so that makes me nervous. The Dr told me to keep drinking take Imodium pills and drink pedialyte. Today she said start probiotics. If that doesn't help to go to the ER. I'm wondering how long to wait. I feel ok. I'm drinking quite a bit. I was supposed to start Protein Shakes today along with my Clear Liquids and Jello. I think I'm following instructions properly. Don't want to get dehydrated. I work at our hospital in town and I didn't tell them I was having surgery. Just vacation. There are to many hoops to jump through. So I don't want to go in if I don't have to!

Yes, for sure. I'm pretty sure that's relatively normal. I mean, you're not getting anything but liquids that you are taking in so I guess it makes sense that solids are not coming out. ;-)