Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's everyone eating for thanksgiving?

Back when I was in my 30's, I had my tonsils out ten days before Thanksgiving. While I could swallow, chewing was really hard for me - the muscles in my mouth and tongue were really sore, and I had trouble getting food from the front of my mouth to the back of my mouth. The first solid food I had was on Thanksgiving. All I could manage was a bit of turkey with gravy, some sweet potato, and some mashed potatoes. I will never Forget how heavenly it was to actually eat something.

I was still having trouble talking. Two pals came over to help me cook. I write every stop of the entire meal out on post-it notes and stuck them on the kitchen cabinets. I just slapped them on the counter instead of talking. I'm guessing all the newly-sleeved will have holidays every bit as memorable!

Edited by 2goldengirl

I'm making a roasted turkey breast, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green Beans, and apple pie. I plan to try a bite or two of everything, but we will see how that goes.

Whatever my cousin is cooking...and my band tolerates. I'm sure I'll be able to cut the turkey up enough to get it down and the veggies as well. A little bit of potato will be nice and a little bit of dessert as well.

More important than what I'll eat, is how I'll be able to move around her place..and not have to worry where I'll sit (narrow chairs with arms are no longer off limits)

It will also be wonderful to think more about what I'll wear rather than what I'll eat. I'll also be thinking about being able to drive now that I can move my leg and press down on the gas and brake pedals since my hips are good again. It's easy to not take mobility for granted once you've nearly lost it. Just being able to walk again is way more of my focus these days.

When I sit at the table and think about what I'll be thankful for this year, mobility, health, and my life back will top my list.

3 months out. I am having a few bites of turkey and I may smoke a salmon. I never really cared for the turkey anyway, much preferred the sides. I am sure I will have a bite or two of stuffing and maybe a bite of mashed potatoes. But I will for sure have some green Beans and Protein.< /p>

Seafood!

I wonder how it would turn out if I stuffed a turkey with crab, scallops, celery, onion, old bay seasoning and breadcrumbs. Crab Cake Stuffed Turkey.

Seafood!

I wonder how it would turn out if I stuffed a turkey with crab, scallops, celery, onion, old bay seasoning and breadcrumbs. Crab Cake Stuffed Turkey.

You really know how to hurt a San Franciscan there ;-) Our Dungeness crab season has been delayed - toxic algae blooms are causing issues from warm ocean temps. Dungeness season was supposed to start tomorrow. It's a huge disappointment for the hordes of folks who look forward to the season opening each year, but a potential economic disaster for the fishermen who make half their annual income from crab season.

A little, very little, bit of everything. With an emphasis on Protein and taking it easy on the carbs.

Turkey, green Beans, a taste of mashed potatoes. Later I will nosh on a deviled egg and a cranberry relish parfait.

@@2goldengirl Well that stinks! I LOVE crab! I did a nursing contract in PA and some of my co-workers took me to Baltimore Maryland to have fresh blue crabs (I think that's what they were called) We don't have an ocean any where near us in Mo. It's was my first time doing anything like that. They were cracking up because they gave us the mallet thing and I thought we had to hit them and kill them first so I was freaking out. No, you don't do that! It was just for cracking them when they throw a big pile on the table. It was fun!! I'm including a pic....yes I played with my food! He was too cute not to!

post-237766-0-77581800-1447453800_thumb.jpeg

Going to my son's house so it will be a traditional meal. I plan on turkey, gravy. a tbs or so of turnip and carrots, a bite of mashed potatoes and a tsp of cranberry sauce. Should be interesting as they don't know I had surgery.Took them 8 mths and almost 50 lbs to realize I was losing weight. LOL! No plans for desert even though I will take a pie. As others have said the food is not the important things this year. Being happier and healthier and comfy on the chairs will be enough to be thankful for.

This will be my last Thanksgiving before getting sleeved on 12/2. I'm going to maybe have a bite of some of the goodies like my mom's stuffing, cranberry sauce, candied yams...but plan to fill my plate with turkey and veggies.