Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please don't be mad and get upset at what we say here!

Some times is scary to post a comment here because I will get slammed with a shame on you! You should know better and I know I'm right!!

Well here it is and please take it as just a comment my doctor said that yes is necessary to take Vitamins everyday but is ok if we forget it is taking us time to not them or if people say they feel ok with out taking them she said only people with bypass and the ones that really need it because they did rerouted their digestive system for us they only made out stomach smaller so is not like we really can't absorb nutrients and minerals.... So ask your and see what they recommend!!

I don't understand what you are saying.

Also just some gentle advice. ....

You are allowed to use periods and commas to help us understand what you are trying to say.

They help.

A lot.

It's ok to skip a day or so, but, you will start to feel weak should you choose not to take vitimins regularly. I won't take the chance of not taking them because I've heard of others that have tried going without and get weak.

Yes, bypass folk don't absorb Vitamins as well, thus, making it mandatory for them to keep their Vitamin intake via supplements and you are correct our stomachs still absorb Vitamins and nutrients, but, probably not everything that we need. That is why it is so important to get routine blood work. I know that I had to stop my Calcium supplement at one point because my blood work showed that I was taking in too much of it. I suggest that at the very least, you take a good Multi-Vitamin daily and any other supplements that your doctor recommends. Don't chance it. jake

The only way to know if you are Vitamin deficient or not is via lab work. Sleeve patients are particularly prone to anemia, sometimes even with supplementation. We can also have other deficiencies, such as Vit D. With less stomach surface and less gastric acid, absorption is changed.

There is no one size fits all approach to nutritional management. Get your lab work done.

I agree with others that you should have annual lab work performed to check for deficiencies.

It doesn't mean you will have a deficiency of a particular Vitamin or mineral, but eating a balanced diet along with a Multivitamin and other supplements (all within moderation, certain vitamins/minerals in mega doses are actually harmful) can help minimize or prevent it.

Talk to your PCP, people have different medical needs, may have an ailment or are taking certain meds that they need to be careful about taking the supplement at the same time with and also how much of a supplement they take.

Here is a chart I found regarding different Vitamin and mineral deficiencies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3571763/table/T2/

post-251715-0-43713500-1446292008_thumb.gif

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

scary to post a comment

agalindo17

sounds like you are worried some people on the board might respond to you

in a rude, cruel, mean, way (I'm sorry you feel that way :()

there are times that people might respond

with words that sound cruel, tough love

might be a statement said a little harshly

i "think" they they are the the exception" to the rule

Please always ask your questions - we don't bite - USUALLY!! LOL

i think doc is telling you to listen to us, and then YOU figure it out!! it out :huh:

i can't believe your doc would give such a stupid "no answer, answer"

i always say "at the end of the day ONLY listen to you doc/nut"

so what's going on :blink:

congrats on loosing 75 lbs

good luck

kathy

If I understand what you are saying.....we can skip our Vitamins because we were sleeved vs bypassed ??????

Flawed logic, in my opinion. Our post-sleeve diet is mainly Proteins and doesn't have the capacity to allow all the fruits, vegetables and other eats that provide all the nutrients we need.

It's not a matter of our piping not being altered.....it's a matter of us not taking in the nutrients to start with.

Supplementation with Vitamins is crucial.

Yep...What @@Dub said. I agree. There is no way we sleeved folks are getting enough nutrients. For sure at first, anyway.

Actually, you can bash me, too.

My doctor is affiliated with a research hospital and has a long track record of highly successful bariatric surgery. That's why I chose her.

I followed her protocol for supplements. At 3 months my blood work was perfect. She said I could go back to my Multivitamin which I've taken for years. She does not treat sleeve patients the same as bypass. According to her, research shows that provided the sleeve patient is following a balanced eating plan they do not exhibit the Vitamin deficiencies that bypass patients do. So I take no special supplements.

My 6 month blood work was perfect. If there is ever an issue, she said it would be addressed when presented.

At 10 months out, down 88 lbs, I feel fabulous and have more energy than I've had in years. My hair hasn't fallen out and my skin is great. No supplements from month 3 has not caused me any problems.

Here's the deal. I trust MY doctor. I listen to MY doctor. This is a discussion forum. I can read what others do and find it interesting. But in the end I follow what MY doctor tells me. If your doctor is telling you to take supplements... and most do... then take them.

Why is the word bash even being used? Jeeeeezus!

Bash is an exaggeration ???? I used it in what I assumed would be understood as playful and to reassure the OP who expressed some trepidation in posting what is a less than common viewpoint and being concerned with negative feedback.

It is possible to have a different opinion or experience and not engage in the kind of exaggerated negative response, i.e. bashing, that the OP fears. But her concern does speak to the fact that it happens on occasion. Goes with the territory of an anonymous message board.

No "bashing" here either. I have my opinion as well. I trust my Doc too, and I am also healthier than ever. I guess that's why we are all different. Life would be pretty dang boring if we were all the same.