Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

I went today for my 4th fill so far none have helped I have been on a plato for 6 weeks losing nothing..... I'm trying not to get down about it but it's hard. I hope this one makes a diffrence.

Is it easy to get fills from another Dr if I move out of state? I am working towards the band (with my insurance I have to jump through lots of hoops first, 6 months of hoops). Thanks!

If you begin eating solid foods before the 6 weeks then there is the possiblitly that the new stoma can close itself off and then you back in the hospital. I have a nice big black binder full of all kinds of band info given to me by my center. If you stay to the diet as I am now doing you will still lose some weight becasue I know that my restrictionsare starting next week is 5 meals a day and 2 Snacks and your only getting 2-4 ounces per meal and if it is liquid or even semi liquid you will still lose weight at least I know this is how it has been for me. I had my band last Monday and been on straight liquids since last Sunday and my weight is coming off.

Well I have to tell everyone that I was disappointed when I went for my 4 week check up. I have lost 23 lbs and I asked my doctor when I was going to get my first fill. He said "when you quit losing weight." I told him that I am hungry and can eat a ton of food. He said "well as long as you are losing weight you don't need a fill. I am doing this on sheer will power alone. If I was going to do that why did I get the band. I was so looking forward to getting that fill. I have another appointment in 4 weeks. So do I go ahead and eat what I want and not lose or go ahead and lose and take the chance I still won't get a fill. I am sitting her right now hungry. I had a Weight Watcher "Smart One" for lunch and a bowl of oatmeal for Breakfast. Any one care to make a comment?

Well I have to tell everyone that I was disappointed when I went for my 4 week check up. I have lost 23 lbs and I asked my doctor when I was going to get my first fill. He said "when you quit losing weight." I told him that I am hungry and can eat a ton of food. He said "well as long as you are losing weight you don't need a fill. I am doing this on sheer will power alone. If I was going to do that why did I get the band. I was so looking forward to getting that fill. I have another appointment in 4 weeks. So do I go ahead and eat what I want and not lose or go ahead and lose and take the chance I still won't get a fill. I am sitting her right now hungry. I had a Weight Watcher "Smart One" for lunch and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Any one care to make a comment?

Congratulations on your success so far!

Of course you don't really want to throw away your success, so I would recommend contacting the doctor and telling them what you posted, that you are hungry and that you fear losing control.

See if they can be a little more reasonable with their fills, and remember that normal weight loss with a properly restricted Lap-Band is one to two pounds per week.

Many doctors will not fill if you are losing over one pound per week, because you are in the normal weight loss range.

Hi everyone I have been reading all the comments here and well i called my Dr. and asked the nurse what are my chances of not getting my fills if I am losing the weight and she told me that the Dr. has never told a patient no that he does not want for his people to be left hungry so I will get my fills and my first one will be due on October 24. I have lost 42 pounds and I was banded on September 10, 07 my weight loss began before I had my band put in and well I refuse to gain a pound of it back. I am still on my liquid diet going into the pureed part now and it is not so bad, but I do keep my ounces down and I have a good Protein suppliment too, but let me tell you I have one louder than life growling tummy, but it could be gas or digestion rumbling around according to my sis the diet guru. I alos walk daily and have my own exercise program at home. I am down from a 26 to a 20 and cannot wait to see size 18 and even less in the future.

Well my surgery lasted just about two hours I had general anesthesia and stayed overnight in the hospital was on oxycodone for about three days every day I got stronger

Hi everyone, well I went for my first fill last night (live in a country town, Dr. works til late in the evening) and it didnt hurt when he put in the needle but I sure did feel it when he put too much in. He quickly took some out and when I left I felt like I had ate 12 pizzas LOL, now it is morning and has settled a bit, not hungry but am enjoying my coffee. He told me to ease into solids as I see fit. And that I can eat anything I want to. I have only lost 5 kg (12 lbs) since my surgery but he was very happy with that. As like all the other doctors seem to say "if I was loosing weight still" he wouldnt do the fill. So, if he is happy, I am as well. I look at it as AT LEAST I HAVENT GAIN 5 kg!!!! slow slow if fine by me :-) ... In my little country town (13,000) almost every fat person has had a band, so I know he has heaps of experience and the best bit is that I dont have to hide the fact that I have had it done.... anyhow, thanks for listening... best of luck to everyone and I LOVE MY BAND.:whoo::whoo:

Laural

The surgery was simple. I was totally knocked out. Myt surgery was at 7:00am and I remember waking up at about 10:00am in recovery. I stayed in a room until about 3:00pm and I went home. It was a day surgery and I haven't had any problems. It will be fine.

I Notice You Have A Vg Band At 7.5, My Vg Is Up To 9.2 And I Have For The First Time Got Some Restriction I Am Worried That I Wont Have Much More Room To Tighten It Up When I Lose Some Weight, The Vg Only Holds 10 Right?

My doc is very conservative with the fills. His office is in closer proximity to me than some of your doctors are to you.

I feel the tiny stick for the novocaine but only a little pressure from the fill itself. I do not ever feel bad afterwards and in fact, I always have the fill around 4 PM and then I go home and have dinner. I have never stuck with soft foods or liquids after a fill. I think all of this is attributed to his very conservative approach. But of course I'm only guessing.

Btw, immediately after the fill, they have me drink about 2 oz. of herbal tea just to make sure there's no problem.

I hope you all can figure out the code and stop having problems with your fills! We shouldn't be afraid to get a fill. We should look forward to it when we think we need it.

Hey BJean! I'm really glad you posted about eating solids immediately after a fill, b/c yesterday I had my second fill. After I got home I ate the rest of my leftover calzone from the night before - I wanted real food! I hope this is ok.

Lizgroover: I had read so many posts here where people said their doctors had them only eat liquids or mushies after a fill that I got worried that my doctor had forgotten to tell me about it. I went through all his literature and ... nothing! So I asked him and he said that unless you get a really large adjustment, there is no problem with eating pretty much whatever you feel like eating after a fill.

But he did say that sometimes if someone gets a large fill, or haven't had a fill for a long time, the area can get swollen and sensitive and that in those cases, we should probably take it easy for a day or so.

I was very relieved because many times, I was hungry after a fill :hungry: (often because of scheduling, I had missed lunch).

I have my appt coming up on 11/8 does everyone automatically get a fill after 6 wks? what does the Doctor consider when or often to give the patient a fill?

i was banded 6-5-2006 in Denver have not lost very much weight . I have a small band was told that the 10cc were used for men, I feel very little restriction . I just had my third fill oct24. they always have a hard time finding the port. Did you have the same problem before the band slipped

i was banded 071507 have had good results but lately am having burning pain in port area. has anyone else had this problem?