Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Vikki........my problem is mainly throwing up and not so much gas, but my Dr. told me to take Prilosec, I prefer Pepsid AC, however, are you drinking enough Water?

Anniemay

I have a question you guys. I have a very tight fill right now and I am trying to get more then just Soups down but having difficulty. I am really having a lot of gas that is very painful. I chew gas x all day long to try to prevent it but it isn't helping very much. I never had gas like this before. I am not using a straw anymore to drink liquids. Have you guys come across this issue and what did you do to prevent the extra gas bubble in your stomach. I had a ultrasound done last night because I am having pains such as gallbladder stones and the lady told me I had a lot of gas in me. Thank goodness there was no sight of any stones. Any advice would be sooo grateful!!!

Although I do not have an answer for you about the gas problem, I do want to caution you about retaining a too-tight fill.

Relying on soft food and soups indicates a too-tight band. Keeping a too-tight band will increase your liklihood for an enlarged esophagus or pouch dilatation.

I would advise you to consult with your doctor, and consider getting a slight unfill.

I just had my 2nd fill and this is the 2nd day of just liquids but I am having acid reflex since the fill has anyone else had that problem? It keeps me up at night and no matter what I drink even Water it starts the pain, I have been eating gas-x strips like candy, I have been drinking slowing, it didn't happen after my 1st fill.

I have been banded now for 1 year. I had my first fill 6 weeks after my band and it lasted for about 10 months. The last 3 months of the fill it was very tight and I would throw up just about everytime i ate. I would even wake up at night gagging if my pouch wasn't completely empty before going to bed. Very strange. I finally had some taken out then a little put back in and now I am completey unrestricted and have gained 10 lbs in a month. MISERABLE.......Has anyone experienced such strange results....

What consistutes a full "CC" fill?

i.e. if .25 = 2oz. .50 = 4oz. .75= 6oz. 1.00 = 8oz. 8oz = 1 cup. How are "cc's" calculated?

I've had, .1cc, .2cc, .3cc, not higher, so how much is a full, "1cc" fill?

I hope it's clear what I want to know?

thanks for any info.

What consistutes a full "CC" fill?

i.e. if .25 = 2oz. .50 = 4oz. .75= 6oz. 1.00 = 8oz. 8oz = 1 cup. How are "cc's" calculated?

I've had, .1cc, .2cc, .3cc, not higher, so how much is a full, "1cc" fill?

I hope it's clear what I want to know?

thanks for any info.

When you say ".25 = 2 oz" I assume you mean 1/4 CUP = 2 oz, 1 cup = 8 oz, etc., but the band measurements are not in cups. 1 cc means 1 cubic centimeter. A 10-cc band would hold about .34 oz.

The bands come in different sizes. So far, I've read that bands are 4 ccs, 9 ccs, 10 ccs, and 14 ccs. At 14 ccs, the biggest band would hold less than half an ounce.

Thanks for the info.

I've also just read of the 4cc bands. And some of them have yet to reach their sweet spot. Then I've read that some people are or have reached their spot at 7cc of the higher bands. I'm a little over 3cc and have not reached restriction of my 10cc band quite.

So what are the options when the person who have the 4cc band, reaches 4cc and have not reached a restriction? Have you read of someone that has happened to?

Thanks for the info.

I've also just read of the 4cc bands. And some of them have yet to reach their sweet spot. Then I've read that some people are or have reached their spot at 7cc of the higher bands. I'm a little over 3cc and have not reached restriction of my 10cc band quite.

So what are the options when the person who have the 4cc band, reaches 4cc and have not reached a restriction? Have you read of someone that has happened to?

The way I understand it, it's not how much saline that's in the band that is important but how much pressure is being put around the stomach in order to make the opening between the new pouch and the rest of the stomach smaller. A 4 cc band filled to 3 ccs is 75% full; a 10 cc band filled to 7.5 ccs is also 75% full. The AP bands hold more saline but they are designed differently, with multiple "pillows" on the inside instead of a single chamber. Also, I've read that the bands can be overfilled a little.

Each band, no matter how much it holds, is designed to be a certain diameter when full. The fat around the stomach can put additional pressure on the stomach, which is one reason that the band can become looser when its owner loses weight. Each recipient can have different sized stomachs or thickness of the stomach. So there are clearly a lot of variables and that's why it's difficult to generalize about how much it takes in a certain band to reach optimal restriction.

The other sticky at the top of this forum does a better job of explaining all of this. Check out the original post by Wendell Edwards.

Thanks again LongHorn. I tends to forget that everyone is different which of course will have different results. But you explained it more with the "different sized stomachs or thickness of the stomach" and "the opening between the new pouch and the rest of the stomach smaller."

I'm just looking for that right spot to get past this part and get to my band restrictions. But, this weight didn't come on over night, so it won't go away the same way.

And I'll read the forum post again.

Thanks again

Thanks again LongHorn. I tends to forget that everyone is different which of course will have different results. But you explained it more with the "different sized stomachs or thickness of the stomach" and "the opening between the new pouch and the rest of the stomach smaller."

I'm just looking for that right spot to get past this part and get to my band restrictions. But, this weight didn't come on over night, so it won't go away the same way.

And I'll read the forum post again.

Thanks again

You're very welcome! I'm certainly no expert so everything I've posted about this is just trying to summarize what I've learned from others, especially Wendell and Dr. Watkins.

I've just had my second fill -- 6 ccs in a 10-cc band -- and will be on liquids for the weekend so I can't really tell yet if there's restriction, except I had two Slimfast shakes and a cup of Unjury chicken broth yesterday and wasn't hungry at all, nor am I this morning, so that tells me something's a little different! :ohmy: But I'm pretty much in the same spot as you. Good luck to both of us! :(

Hello Banders

I have a question, I was banned in Alberta Canada and have moved to Ontario, Canada. My doctor tried to fill my band yesturday but I dont think he had the proper needle, so I am not sure it actually worked. I was only filled once before we were moved by the military, how can I find out what size of an needle actually works?

Sherri

I had restriction the first 2 weeks after my fill and now I can eat a house I think its time for another one:lol:

I was the same way after my second fill. The first 2 weeks were fine. Then I would eat anything. Since my third fill (3 months ago) my restriction has been good. Sometimes tighter than I'd like. But I think it's more head hunger than real hunger. I'm finally getting use to putting small amounts of food on my plate and being satisfied. Don't get me wrong, I have my days when my head tells my I could eat the house but my stomach says NO. You'll feel much better after your next fill.

Hi

I was banded on September 18th and just had my first fill this past Thursday, I was filled 5 cc and I am in pain just by drinking Water. It has gotten a little better with warm fluids but I just tried to eat a piece of cheese and fell to the floor in pain. On Friday I tried to have lentil Soup but landed up throwing it up because it was stuck. Will this pain go away? I was thinking about having some Fluid taken out. My doctor did this through flouro so he maxed me which is what I asked for since it was so expensive. I need some advise is this feeling normal? Should I wait it out?

Thanks

Jennifer

Banded 09-18-07

total lost 4 lbs