Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

What does a good fill feel like versus being too tight?

I can swallow Water pretty good and eat mashed potatoes REAL slow...about a teaspoon or two.

I had my 2nd fill yesterday and am now at 3.8cc in a 10ccband.

Eating super slow on the potatoes or else, "Here they come again!"

Im thinking its because I just had it done and am probably pretty tight, but not sure. Drank warm cocoa this morning and last nite. Just have to drink REAL slow

To me, a good fill is when you can eat (chew chew chew) and not feel like it is going to come back up. It sounds like you might be a little tight with this fill.

I had my second fill on 4/26/08 and am at 2.7 in a 10 cc band. At first I didn't think it was tight enough....but....yesterday I had my first PBing episode. So I guess it is tight enough!!!! Today, I am eating a lot slower and a lot less!!! Yea!!!!

I got my band 3/11/08 from Dr. Michael Wood From ABMI at detroit medical center. I was going to get my first fill today 6 weeks post op and my Dr called and told me he has a new policy and will only be doing fills once a month and so don't come in till may 31. I will be 10 weeks post op this dosn't sound right. I've lost 38 pounds since I was banded but I'm getting hungry and eating more. I called my Dr. and he told me to have will power:cursing::party::cursing:. My surgury was $27000.00 since he got paid I feel he is blowing me off what should I do. I don't want to take a step backwardmad.gif

user_online.gifreputation.gif report.gif digg.gif delicious.gif technorati.gif furl.gif

progress.gifedit.gif

Hi Medge,

I can understand how frustrated you are. Do you live in Michigan? I live in Grand Rapids but I had my surgery done in Mex. It sounds like your Dr. is not going to budge so be kind to yourself. Even if you gain a pound or two, this is something we are doing for a lifetime, all is well. When I went to Mex I met a lady who had her surgery in November and didn't get her first fill till April and she had lost 40 pounds. The end of the month will be here before you know it :-)

Sally

My doctor follows the recommend guidelines from the manufacturer which is 6 weeks between fills. He will adjust the schedule based on individual needs of the patient. My fills have been every 6 weeks apart so far. My doctor did say this time after my fill, that if I needed to return early to just call the office. He did ask that I give this new fill 2-3 weeks to work. So if I need another fill, I will be going back early. Otherwise, my next fill will be in 6 weeks, which is June 12th.

The following is information provided by my surgeon during my pre-op class concerning adjustments:

The adjust-ability of the Lap-Band is one of the great advantages of the Lap-Band over the gastric bypass or duodenal switch. The Vertical Band Gastroplasty or VBG, is a restrictive operation but is not adjustable. After a period of 6 weeks following Lap-Band placement, a patient may require an adjustment known as a "fill"

Three main factors are used to determine whether or not to add Fluid to the Lap-Band: 1. weight loss, 2. level of hunger, 3. degree of restriction.

If the patient is not losing adequate weight (less than 1-2 lbs. per week), is ravenous, and seems to be able to eat more with meals, then it is time to do a fill.

Most adjustments can be done in the office in less than 15 minutes. Fluoroscope or X-ray is only necessary if the adjustment port cannot be accessed in the office. My doctor uses the Fluoroscope over at X-ray for each fill, which makes a fill take less than 2 minutes. It takes longer to get on the table and the prep than the actual fill. It is so cool to watch your fill on the Fluoroscope. The 1st adjustment is done no sooner than 6 weeks post-operatively and is a 1cc volume fill. My 1st fill was a standard amount of 2cc. Subsequent adjustments are done at 4-6 week intervals based on the aforementioned criteria. The second and third fills may measure 0.5 cc to 3-4cc. My second fill was 2cc. I now have 4cc in my 14cc band.

It is important to look out for negative symptoms after an adjustment. Symptoms of chest pain after eating and drinking, nausea, vomiting, and reflux can mean the Lap-Band is overly tight. More subtle signs can be night time coughing and choking, and inability to eat a range of foods. It is important that patients remember that weight loss is to be gentle and gradual. Patients must resist the temptation to be too tight too fast. This can lead to dysfunctional eating habits, in which the patients convert their diet to liquids calories. If obstructive symptoms are present, then Fluid should be removed from the band.

I just thought I would share this information with you. Each doctor is different in how he/she proceeds with your fill schedule and the amount of fill. Just remember to work with your doctor, you are a team working together to help you meet your goal!

I am so glad that I found this site. I learned so much from everyone. I just had my 5th fill Monday and feel pretty restricted. food gets stuck, I get chest pain and have reflux or regurgitation. I will give it 2-3 weeks to see if the band loosens up and then see my doctor for an unfil if needed. I'd rather be able to eat food than Protein Drinks which I did today to get Protein in. But I will heed what everyone says about fututre problems. Thanks to much and good luck to everyone here having lapband issues.

Good Morning To all. I just want to share with everyone something I just learned. I like hot and spicy foods. Last month for several weeks I couldn't get enough of hot and spicy foods. This went on for several weeks. Until it took it's toll on me. As the weeks went on my PBing kept getting worse and worse, giving me the impression that my band was to tight/restriction to tight.

When I read on this site or another site about inflammed/ senstitive/ irritated stomach/stoma interferring with digestion and eatng of my food. With each meal there was more pain and pbing than before. Which sometimes I couldn't finish my meal till 30min to 1 hour later. It got to the point that I was afraid to eat. So I decided to let up on eating too often and taking to dring Protein drinks and broth or Soup. In doing this I cut back on the spicy foods.

I began taking the Papaya Enzyme pills and drinking warm liquids prior to my morning meal and sometimes lunch. Along with eating something to help with digestion. After a week or more of not eating spicy foods, the irratition stop and my stomach/stoma began to heal itself. When I did get back to regular eating the problem stopped and I am now able to eat my meals without too much problems.

Say that to say this, if you eat hot spicy foods beware of what happens the next day or several days after. You may not have tight restriction, but may have irritated your digestive system, stomach or stoma. Remember the stoma only holds but so much food before it passes the band into the stomach. Which of course has to pass the esphogus first.

Hope this bit of info has helped someone. This Site is great for learning things.

Go to fillcentersusa.com and it will help centers close to your home. I had my surgery in Mexico and I get my fills in Las Vegas, Nevada.

OK, anyone know of a place in Reno or Carson City Nevada for fills. I am moving there and I was banded originally in TJ. fillcentersusa.com was expensive and last choice

I was initially banded 3/20/08. My surgeon had me wait the full 6 weeks before the first fill. My surgeon also waits 4 weeks between fills, but I had my 1st fill, wasn't restricted enough, and went again after 2 weeks, and now I feel VERY filled. I get my fill at Beaumont Hospital(Royal Oak) and the surgeon will give a fill when it is necessary with symptoms dictated by the patient. You may want to try Dr. Krause at Beaumont.

cc

Thanks for the info. I had my first fill yesterday - 4 cc in a AP large. The nurse said that the 4 added to 2 already in made it 6 cc. I feel pretty good, not too tight.