Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

I was banded 5/5 and had my first fill last Wednesday--the dr only put in .5cc, which he said is all he will give at a time. However, I can go back in in two weeks for another small fill if I do not feel enough restriction. The fill actually hurt more than I thought it would, and he had to press down hard on the port for a while to force the saline into the port. He said that this is not uncommon with first fills but that additional fills should be more comfortable for me (and easier for him). A co worker of mine with a band suggested that I ask the dr to use a smaller needle--that maybe that would make it a little more comfortable? Has anyone had to request this with their doctor? Also, I do notice restriction in the mornings but not so much in the evenings. This makes me wonder if I shouldn't go back in for that 2nd fill next week.

Are you getting fills in Texarkana Texas? I am using that clinic and they only offer fills every 6 weeks to me....:sad_smile:

I was banded 5/5 and had my first fill last Wednesday--the dr only put in .5cc, which he said is all he will give at a time. However, I can go back in in two weeks for another small fill if I do not feel enough restriction. The fill actually hurt more than I thought it would, and he had to press down hard on the port for a while to force the saline into the port. He said that this is not uncommon with first fills but that additional fills should be more comfortable for me (and easier for him). A co worker of mine with a band suggested that I ask the dr to use a smaller needle--that maybe that would make it a little more comfortable? Has anyone had to request this with their doctor? Also, I do notice restriction in the mornings but not so much in the evenings. This makes me wonder if I shouldn't go back in for that 2nd fill next week.

Help:

I had a fill and they had to take half back out because I was to tight now I am dying from acid that I am bringing uo, any suggestions on how to stop that

As far as a fill hurting... I try to look at it that pain is relative...it's more of discomfort than pain... if it's painful something isn't right.

I was just banded on June 27th, 2008. Is my band really not inflated? I didn't realize that they don't inflate it at surgery.

I was just banded on June 27th, 2008. Is my band really not inflated? I didn't realize that they don't inflate it at surgery.

:smile2:

I don't think it is because you are swollen after surgery and the fill would be too much and you need time to heal, I remember trying to stay on as much a soft diet as I could until I got my first fill and thought I was gonna

starve, even after my first fill I did not feel much restriction, only after my

second fill did I fill anything. I didn't think I was ever going to lose weight

but after the second fill it starting coming off, but keep in mind, everyone

is different.

Anniemay

I was banded last november 26th, 2007 an have only been filled three times. I feel that I eat almost a much as I did before the banding. My doctor says that he has filled mine more than any ones. I am really concerned. I can eat a whole hamburger and fries.

What happened to you when you ate too big a bite? I ak because sometimes I feel like I get food stuck...like eating a cardboard box stuck in my throat. It does go away eventually.

I was banded last november 26th, 2007 an have only been filled three times. I feel that I eat almost a much as I did before the banding. My doctor says that he has filled mine more than any ones. I am really concerned. I can eat a whole hamburger and fries.

Just because you can eat a whole hamburger and fries, doesn't mean you should. You need to make good food choices. No fried foods, no bread, and watch your carbs. You really need to work on portion size and control, because when restriction comes, and it will, you will need to be familiar with the correct portion sizes and foods you need to eat.

Do you drink with meals? I can tell you this is a big no-no and you should not drink with meals. It takes practice and time to get use to no drinks with meals, but it is important. You should be waiting at least 30 minute prior and 30 minutes after a meal to drink. Drinking with a meal only washes the food thru your smaller stomach more quickly which means you can eat more at one sitting. The goal is to reduce your portions and intake to help you lose the weight. You must remember the band is a tool and you have to work with this tool to get the best benefits and weight loss.

i don't get why some doctors are so controlling about how much they put in your band...its not their body.... 0.5 cc is nothing..if you don't feel restriction get yourself back there and ask for more...this is'nt about them its all about you now...geeze....

Thanks Andy. You are right. I have gotten really lax about my food choices. I just started to feel like this thing is not working for me. At first I felt restriction, which I liked because I knew it was giving me a message to stay on track, but now I feel like it just isn't giving me the restriction that I need. I am going to see y doctor on Wednesday for a third fill. I don't know what size band that I have.

I got my band August 2007, and my First fill of 1cc a month and a half after surgery. I wanted to make sure I had my eating potions and not drinking Water during meals under control. Now I'm heading into my one year mark and I have not lost the weight like others have. I'm hoping that the doctor will put in 2cc at this next fll. I'm afraid that I have waited to long and that the weight will not come off like it would if I had multiple fills prior. What do any of you think? I was never told of a fill schedule just the first month and then as needed. I never could understand the as needed part. Could any of you explain the perfect fil. When your at the fill you should be.

join the club ,haven't lost any weight amd walking one mile a day. I don't think I will ever loose weight. It has been 1 year and 1 month for me . I never thought it would be this way ,very disappointed . I followed the rules also