Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Are you unaware of the dangers of band slippage? Throwing up is not a real good thing to do when you have the Lap Band. You should ask your doctor about it. Does he know how hard it is for you to consume liquids after you get a fill?

My doctor is very concerned with me getting enough Protein so that my hair doesn't fall out and that I lose muscle tissue instead of fat. There are a whole host of problems nutritionally when you lose weight that quickly.

I am no doctor, I only know what I've read and been told. I hope you will be very frank with your doctor about exactly how you have lost the weight. I haven't talked to anyone who believes that it is healthy to lose weight that fast.

I believe that they say that a 1 to 2 pound weight loss per week is what is healthy and produces the most beneficial results.

I have to tell you that I am jealous that you are only 15 lbs. from your goal weight. I am concerned for your health though.

Wow who did your band may I ask? My Dr. askes me all the time if I need a fill or not or if I am hungry or not. I had a fill on March 18, 2008 and then had to get some taken out a week later because I got the flu real bad and my stomach swelled around the band causing all sorts of trouble but he told me that he will re fill me on April 2, 2008. I have one question?? does your Insurance cover your fills? See all my Dr.s services are for one year that is how the Insurance company paid them. Everything is included for the first year then my Co-payment will be 50.00 each time I visit him and then fills are all included. Sounds like you need more fills to meet your goals. I wish you all the best my friend

Sharon

Are you unaware of the dangers of band slippage? Throwing up is not a real good thing to do when you have the Lap Band. You should ask your doctor about it. Does he know how hard it is for you to consume liquids after you get a fill?

My doctor is very concerned with me getting enough Protein so that my hair doesn't fall out and that I lose muscle tissue instead of fat. There are a whole host of problems nutritionally when you lose weight that quickly.

I am no doctor, I only know what I've read and been told. I hope you will be very frank with your doctor about exactly how you have lost the weight. I haven't talked to anyone who believes that it is healthy to lose weight that fast.

I believe that they say that a 1 to 2 pound weight loss per week is what is healthy and produces the most beneficial results.

I have to tell you that I am jealous that you are only 15 lbs. from your goal weight. I am concerned for your health though.

Hi Bjean! Thank you for your concern! I am getting adjusted tomorrow in manila. I have called my Doctor about the acid feeling or the burn, 3 days after the fill, its because I have a hard time making food stay put.

So far, no band slippage and yes I am aware. But my Doctor always checks the placement of my band when we do the fills. I have not had any problems with hair fall. The only problem that I have is my saggy tummy which I am seriously thinking of tucking and my inner thighs! (gross!!!)

Wow who did your band may I ask? My Dr. askes me all the time if I need a fill or not or if I am hungry or not. I had a fill on March 18, 2008 and then had to get some taken out a week later because I got the flu real bad and my stomach swelled around the band causing all sorts of trouble but he told me that he will re fill me on April 2, 2008. I have one question?? does your Insurance cover your fills? See all my Dr.s services are for one year that is how the Insurance company paid them. Everything is included for the first year then my Co-payment will be 50.00 each time I visit him and then fills are all included. Sounds like you need more fills to meet your goals. I wish you all the best my friend

Sharon

My fills cost $75 a visit. No My insurance does not pay for it. I think I am up to par with the scheduling of my fills which is once every two months. I got banded last January 18,2007 and last December 2008, I had my picture taken with my Doctor for a national paper lap band release. They splashed my before and after pictures with my consent of course. So far a lot of people have called and asked about lap band.

My Dr. is aware on how I am losing my weight. Through determination for one and exercise for the other and then I watch what I eat and how much. I stay away from all starches, sodas, coffee, unless it is de caf. I am not bothered by sweets but I will have something now and then and in moderation. I don't PB all that much other than when I was sick, but I do get slimmed up more than I would like and that happens no matter what i do eat slow little bites or take in Water too quickly like with my meds. He tells me that I am doing great. I take all my suppliments and well I ahve to order more Protein, he said to stay away from the muscle milk until I have lost 100 pounds for that could add some weight. I get another fill tommorow. I should be at 4 1/2 cc's in my band. Before i got sick I had that much and I could feel the restriction. He told me the more I exercise especially in the stomach area the more the band will loosen up, he said that it is the fatty tissue on the inside around the band that is getting leaner.

lani: I feel much better. I was really worried about you. It sounds like you are in good hands and you know exactly what you're doing. Congratulations on your fantastic success!

Had my surgery on 1/31/08. Am due for my first fill on 4/7/08. Am a little scared after all this reading. I have lost 42 pounds to date and am feeling wonderful. East three meals per day and do not usually find myself hungry. My question? Will the fill change my routine that i am doing so well with? Thanks for all the support!

I have had my band since 4/3/06. Its the 4 cc band. I was told in February 2008 that I had 3.5 ccs. I was getting restriction for about 2 weeks, then I lost it. Went to my doctor on 4/4/08 where he pulled out the saline and told me I had only 2 ccs. He didn't seemed that concerned. He put back a full 3 ccs. Now I feel that even Water is hard to swallow. I feel like I have a lump in my throat. I am on liquids for 2 days and soft food for 2 days. I am afraid to try solids because of the restriction I feel. Is this normal, I have never felt this before. Is this what the sweet spot feels like or am I a little to tight? Should I just give it some time to adjust or call my doctor? What I want to know is will it loosen up on its own after a while? Any thoughts ?

I have had my band since 4/3/06. Its the 4 cc band. I was told in February 2008 that I had 3.5 ccs. I was getting restriction for about 2 weeks, then I lost it. Went to my doctor on 4/4/08 where he pulled out the saline and told me I had only 2 ccs. He didn't seemed that concerned. He put back a full 3 ccs. Now I feel that even Water is hard to swallow. I feel like I have a lump in my throat. I am on liquids for 2 days and soft food for 2 days. I am afraid to try solids because of the restriction I feel. Is this normal, I have never felt this before. Is this what the sweet spot feels like or am I a little to tight? Should I just give it some time to adjust or call my doctor? What I want to know is will it loosen up on its own after a while? Any thoughts ?

falloutgal, what you are experiencing is really normal! In two weeks time, you will be back to your normal self. Just make sure that you are taking Vitamins. That lump in your throat when drinking liquids, just shows you how tight your band is, it will loosen up in time, thats why when they do fills in the clinic, they make you drink water to see how tight the band is, according to my doctor, if it was too tight, water would've gone out of your nose right away. The lump on your throat is pretty normal. Smile and good luck to your weight loss journey...

I know exactly what your going threw as I just had an unfill from 4.5 to 2.0cc. I had the fill of 4.5 last Sept and then felt tight but not super tight for about a month then I would have weeks were nothing would go down and others eat everything in site no problem. Then by Feb I felt so tight and was PBing so much that I went threw a few weeks of not even barly getting water down and just couldn't take it anymore. As soon as he took out 2.5cc I felt a million times better. I have only 2cc right now and have very little restriction so already wanting to go get a small fill because when you haven't been able to eat bread for so long and now I can even eat a sandwich I feel like a kid in a candy store. Really having to rely on will power which is a struggle for me. I gained back 8 pounds since the unfil and I know it is from the EVIL carbs I have eaten. So I would wait it out but if you just keep PBing you will make your insides get really swollen and it will be very painful. Just read your body and everyone is completely different. I have a girlfriend that has 10cc in her 10cc band and can still eat and I had 4.5 in my 10cc band and was very very tight. My advice on those days your body just rejects everything go on liquids for a couple of days. I just kept trying to eat because I was so starving when I was just making matters worse. Good luck and if you want to send me a message we could chat.

Hi Everyone. That lump you're experiencing is also a sign telling you that you need to pay close attention to what you're eating and drinking. This is the time when you will experience PBing. Which is a sensatition of food being hard to go down/stuck. Take small bites the size you would give a baby/child and chew, chew, and chew some more. And for Water sip small amounts. And if you're having a Protein Drink or yogurt take small amounts. There's more but you're soon discover them.

I've been at my restriction for two months and I'm still sexpeiencing something new most times. Right now it's learning what foods I can and cannot tolerate right now. Continue reading what others wrote and keep a food diary and pay close attention to what you eat. You're still learning a new way of eating. Don't get discouraged or give up. We're all in the same boat and still learning.

Stay the course.

I went for my first fill this past Monday. I had gained 4 pounds since my previous visit two weeks prior (17lbs since surgery, 30lbs total). Anyway...the nurse practitioner nonchalantly asked me why I wanted the surgery and I told her the usual answer, "I want to be healthy, feel better, look better" and so on. All of a sudden she just tore into me. She berated me in such a harsh way I felt like a piece of garbage. She implied I made a mistake having the surgery, that she can't help me if I am not willing to make the effort. She continued for a good five minutes. I forgot to mention I had an audience, she was training another practitioner at the time. Then all of a sudden she said "well, you don't have any restriction right now, it is as if you never had the surgery, it isn't totally your fault." I'm not sure how to deal with this situation. It has been almost a week and I am still obsessing over it. Do I complain to someone at the office? do I give her another shot? Should i request a different practitioner? Should I just get over it and focus on my weight loss? Was she trying to scare me straight, I have lost the 4lbs I gained since that day? I was given 2cc and have a tiny bit of restriction. I have to go back soon for more of a fill I think.

jenlev67; by all means, yes, report. Especially since she a witness to this abuse. There are time when it's not what you say, but how you say it. And for you to still be osbessing over this is not good for you. It's bad enough you're having to deal with losing the weight steadly. And if this is her way of scaring you to take this surgery more seriously, it's not the way to go.

If you are the first she has done this to, there will be others. If you don't do something or ask for someone else, and there may not be, you'll be tense and harbor an intense dislike for her. Either verbally mention this or in writing, this behavior needs to be brought to the attention of the administration office. Even if she was having a bad day, those statements were out of line. And she, a person dealing with such a populaton as ours. Or any others as well.

But, on the up swing, it sure got you to lose those pounds. Keep up the good work and Stay The Course.

I just had my 2nd fill on Saturday, April 26. As of today, I can't feel any difference in my restriction. I have heard that it can take up to 4 weeks for the restriction to start, why is that? I am so nervous about gaining any weight back.

I had my third fill about 8 weeks ago. The restriction was fine till about three weeks ago. It was like I had no restriction. I could eat anything. I gained four pounds. Because I knew I could eat more, my head was eat eat eat. It was tough. About a week ago my band all the sudden became tighter again. I lost three of the pounds already..Thank goodness. How can my band be tight for three weeks then loosen up for three weeks and get tight again this past week?

The only thing I have been more aware of is sleeping on my right side instead of the left. Now I try to sleep on my right side all the time and sometimes my back. Can that affect the tightness of the band?

Thanks,

Sonya