Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

BJean: he is your Dr. and I would listen to him. It works for me and may not for someone else. I have been told that 2-3 days after a fill it will be tighter than when first filled. This has been true for me, I have been tight for about a week. That means that if I eat solid food it must be chewed till it is soft and wet. The Dr. has offered to be avaliable 24/7 if it is too tight. As long as I do not use bad habits it goes well. I feel that the problem is that if you do not follow directions well and don't chew you will be in discomfort.

Eating is so natrual that we must fight the act of being "normal". It is our brain that we must control. I tell myself all the time, eat slow, chew, chew some more....

has anyone felt like they have something in the way of swallowing? I had the issue with the carrot stuck north of the band and got that to go away and stop rattling around with enzimes. But now i still fill like there is something restricting in some fashion. It is very hard to describe

If I get stuck it my clear in a few minutes, but it will feel bad for 10-12 hours. I will stop eating, and goodness sake not drink anything untill it clears. I put myself back on Fluid only for that 10-12 hours.

It dumb not to chew till it is paste, but like moma said "If your going to be stupid, you had better be tough".

This is there all the time, almost like there is a bump on the opening, under the band. Something that I have felt since my incident. Hey there KW i go to Largo doc for fills. Great doc and good pricing.

yes his name is DR John Gonzalvo... He spent an hour with me. I had my band done by Dr Rumbaut in Monterrey mexico so there is no problem there. This guy is awsome. Tell him Julie Renner sent ya. and lets catch up. got to go back into a meeting (<:

oh shoot, here is phone 727-586-3751. 1258 West Bay Drive. There are two or three docs in there. They do lapbands, gastric, etc.

kwhenrykerr: Thanks for the advice. I know you're right.

The only time I've PB'ed is when I was really hungry, busily talking with someone else and forget not to shovel it in like I used to. As long as I stay conscious, chew and chew some more, I'm okay.

Once I got in a big hurry to finish and went ahead and had a couple more bites although I had a slight tightness at that "spot". In a short amount of time, the old intense pain started coming on, I started doing the slime thing and eventually PB'ed. So the dietician says a meal should take at least 20 minutes - I learned from that experience why it is important to take so long. You might not feel the problem the instant you eat something, but if you don't take the time to realize what's happening, and you eat more when you begin to feel a little tight, you can get into big trouble.

What is the saying "if you think education is painfull, try ignorance". I hate pain, and being ignorant is one thing, but when I know better I call myself STUPID!!!

No, no Its a human way of learning. I have learned the hard way too many times. That why I tell others, in the hopes that they may learn by my pain. I feel STUPID when I do it for the second time. Three or more times... well what can I say

Yeah, I hear ya. When there's pain involved, it shouldn't take a person long to learn a lesson. That's what I'm sayin'!

How soon after the band is placed do you go for a fill.When the band is placed do you start losing weight or do you not until you have a fill. I am scheduled for my surgery FEB 14 I still have questions which I go this wed. to doc.So I will get to ask these fewI have but thought I could get ahead start.Does anyone know DR.Hargroder in BatonRouge that is my DOC.:nervous

deborah: Has your doctor given you instructions for the 10 days (or more) before your surgery? Most of us were on a high Protein, low carb diet prior to surgery to shrink our livers. This makes more room for him and puts you at less risk for accidental damage to your liver. If you stick with that diet, you will lose some weight. The goal is 7 to 10 lbs.

After surgery, you will be on a restricted diet. Most of us began with a clear liquid diet, then moved to a soft diet and included a high Protein Shake of some kind. You'll be on that for about 3 weeks, or whatever your doctor recommends.

I lost a good deal of the 38 lbs. or so that I've lost during this period of time.

After you begin eating normal food, the weight loss is much slower. That is a good thing because you want to stay healthy and strong. The rate at which you lose will depend upon how much you are restricted to some degree, but mostly it will depend upon your determination to eat properly and your ability and willingness to exercise along with making the best choices in both the quantity and quality of the food you eat.

No one can really tell you how soon your doctor will give you a fill except him. I believe that for most folks it's about 6 weeks. You will have a considerable amount of swelling after surgery that will cause restriction without a fill until time for your first adjustment.

I don't know what your doctor offers in the way of support, but this is a good place to talk to people who have the Lap Band. Your doctor is the best source for answers to most of the important questions though. My doctor and many others tell us that this is a 2 year journey to health and weight loss. To try to rush it, or starve yourself, is not healthy and will not produce the best results.

Good luck!