Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Well, sometimes you don't really get the full effect of a fill for several days, even weeks, I've heard. Usually, I can tell some subtle difference right away. Some people get severe swelling, then eventually settle down. Everyone is unique, but my doc tells me if I don't feel restriction by 2-4 weeks, I need to come back.

I got my fill on Tuesday. I did liquids/soft foods the rest of the day. Then tried it out with chicken breast the following day. It was apparent right away that I had more restriction than before. I can never tell much until I really test it with solid Proteins. I really hope yours is different. That's a long way to have to go for a fill. Good luck!

Just had a fill a week ago only 1/4 cc I have a small 10 cc band and I have a total of 5 1/2 cc's. I was told I had plenty of room to go. Well for the first 3 days I had to revert back to liquids due to the new fill and so I don't develope problems and well I was fine and by Saturday of last week I ate a a few bites of chicken and a vegetable on the side a sppon full or two if that and well all was great I was able to eat it and swallow it and wow no problem, well that was Saturday for on Sunday I developed the problem of not being able to swallow or to eat and just plain vomiting, like from Sunday through last night. I get real slimmy and think mucus. I seen my Dr. yesterday and was told I developed a virus like flu and it caused me to swell up a bit, no unfill and today I feel a lot better and I had two cups of hot tea this morning and it all went down so I will see how the rest of the day goes for me.

I was banded in Waco, TX on September 2007 and I am down from a size 24-26 pants and a 3 x top to a size 12 on the way to a size 10 jeans and I size med-large top in misses sizes. I weighed in today at 174 pounds from 279 pounds and I would like to weigh in at 145 pounds. The Dr. said that he moved me to the catagory with his RNY patients for I have lost 65% body weight in a years time and banderes are generally losing about 40% witin a year. Good old dieting and exercising habits for me and I am so tiny for being 174 pounds because I am all muscle no flab and I look like I weigh about 150 pounds. No lying about that.:)

I have a 10cc band with 6 cc in it (after 5 fills). My question is.....how do you know when the fill is set correctly? I was originally told you would only be able to eat not more than 1/2 cup at a time and feel full without drinking before/during/after meals like we were taught. I can feel the food "plopping" right through the band and can still eat 1 cup or so of food. :wink2: My last fill the surgeon wouldn't add more saline because he said it felt too tight.

I realize I still need to exercise more and that I'm eating too much on occasion, but I end up famished by dinner time. That spells disaster for keeping portion size in check. Even though I had blood clots after the surgery that slowed me down, restricted my exercise time, and kept me from getting fills right away, I wish I were further along with my weight loss.

Any thoughts or ideas are very appreciated. :)

Banded 6/27/07 - Dr. Erbella and Dr. Bunch, Bradenton, FL

Current weight 261, loss of 34 lbs.

Hi Pam

Your will know when your filled properly for you will not even feel hungry or too hungry. I eat just a few bites of food at a time and I can drink about 1/2 cup of Soup etc. I still have masshed potatoes however it might be a spoonful or two but that is it.:)

I had my forst fill yesterday and i liquids all day yesterday. Today i tried soft food and it got stuck once it was unstuck i tried swallowing my pills and it is still stuck. Help! Does this mean i need an unfill or do i need to give my stomach swelling more time to down?

Here is a website that will come in handy when thinking about fills/adjustments. Great information. I have seen this information before and it is really good.

Adjustments

Penni, Thanks for this site!!!!!!!!

I have printed it out and placed it in 17 different locations around the house.

This is useful info. The band is a tool, so much of our results are related to the diet, and exercise routine.

It took me 52 years to get fat, and losing 1 to 2 pounds per week is the correct way.

Aga:thumbup:in thanks.

dave

Hi guys--

New to the site--I am almost 6 weeks post-op, and need some help. I found out this morning that all the Fill Centers, USA in CA do not offer Flouro with your fills. How important is it? Is it safe to have it done without flouro?

Also, does anyone know a good fill doctor in southern CA who does do fills with flouro? I am willing to go to TJ since I live in San Diego. I just want someone reliable and safe.

Please help!

Carol

P.S. I read in one of the posts that there was a list of CA fill doctors out there somewhere. Does someone have that that they can email to me?

I HAD MY FIRST FILL UNDER FLURO AND IT WAS A LONG DRAWN OUT PROCESS OF GOING TO THE OR. AFTER THAT FILLS WERE DONE IN THE DOCTORS OFFICE AND IT TOOK A WHOLE 5 MINUTES--VERY SIMPLE AND QUICK..GOOD LUCK TO YOU-----IRISH:thumbs_up:

I was wondering when you go in for a fill and let's say you get 5cc of saline. Does that 5cc of saline stay there for the rest of your life or does it eventually absorb out into your body so when you go back in for another fill you don't have 5cc anymore?

If not, does that mean when I have 5cc put in then next time I go in for a fill and get 1cc then I will have 6cc forever?

I understand when you lose weight you need to sometimes go in for a fill, but your stomach in that area doesn't really shrink so why is it being refilled if it is not being absorbed out in some way?

I was wondering when you go in for a fill and let's say you get 5cc of saline. Does that 5cc of saline stay there for the rest of your life or does it eventually absorb out into your body so when you go back in for another fill you don't have 5cc anymore?

If not, does that mean when I have 5cc put in then next time I go in for a fill and get 1cc then I will have 6cc forever?

I understand when you lose weight you need to sometimes go in for a fill, but your stomach in that area doesn't really shrink so why is it being refilled if it is not being absorbed out in some way?

Ok, I think you need to look at a video of how they place the band. There is no way the saline can be "absorbed" into your system The saline goes into a tube which goes into the band to inflate it. It stays there until you are deflated. Yes for the rest of your life if that is the way you want it.

Did you not research this before you got the surgery? You will grt a fill with small additions to the quantity already added each time you go. So lets say you get 4cc the first time you go the next time you might only get 1 cc or less depending on your reported restriction. It is really up to you to decide based on your hunger. Got it!!

sharon:)

Usually, unless you have a leak, which is not a good thing, it is my understanding that is there for good. The reason you have additional fills is to get you to your sweet spot. The place where you can eat comfortably but just not very much. I had surgery in April and had 3 fills. I feel very comfortable at the spot I am at now and don't expect to have another fill unless I stop loosing and start gaining. It's like a teetertotter, just finding the place of balance. For some people it takes longer than others. Good luck on the playground.

Sally

Hi guys--

New to the site--I am almost 6 weeks post-op, and need some help. I found out this morning that all the Fill Centers, USA in CA do not offer Flouro with your fills. How important is it? Is it safe to have it done without flouro?

Also, does anyone know a good fill doctor in southern CA who does do fills with flouro? I am willing to go to TJ since I live in San Diego. I just want someone reliable and safe.

Please help!

Carol

P.S. I read in one of the posts that there was a list of CA fill doctors out there somewhere. Does someone have that that they can email to me?

Hi Carol

My doctor never uses flouro to place saline in my band. It is pretty accessible and able to be palpated pretty easily. I think maybe it could be related to how obese someone is. I started out at 244 lbs and from day one they never had a problem finding it. I've had 6 fills so far. Good luck to you. I'm 8 months out and have lost 50 lbs....slow but steady

sharon:)

Hi,

Just got back from my doctor and was not allowed to get a fill today, even though it is clear I am not at my "sweet spot."

I have been having an unrelated problem called papilledema that is caused by my body, for thankfully no known reason, producing too much spinal/brain Fluid. The problem is that I am at high risk for vomiting until I get my last test done this week and can then start to take medication to reduce the fluid level, so the doctor was concerned that he might actually have to take saline OUT of my band for a few weeks until my intercranial pressure comes down.

Since I have been very uncomfortable (dizzy & nauseous & have diharrea - it's been a LOVELY experience - NOT), but no vomiting, he won't unfill me for now. I go back in two weeks and will probably be able to start getting back to normal with fills and weight loss again, and will hopefully be cleared to go back to the gym, which I miss a lot.

This is a totally unrelated health glitch to the band. It happens that the ONLY possible risk factor I have is being overweight. The tests are done to rule out serious causes like meningitis or brain tumor, and so far all the test prove I don't have those. I get a spinal tap on Thursday to be sure, but have no other symptoms for cause. The condition is then called "psudotumor cerebri" which means the fluid is caused by my body THINKING I have a brain tumor, but there isn't one.

So anyway, I'm in a lousy mood and want to lose more weight. I was filled in August and have lost a whopping 17+ pounds. I haven't been allowed to work out for four weeks now and feel horrible all the time. Once I get on the medication to resolve this, which by the way is a diuretic - bonus! - I should start to feel better within a day or two. Thank goodness. This has been just awful to live with and I feel really down about having to start over again. And again. And again...

Thanks for reading my vent. I just needed to get this out.

Hang in there and get healthy again, worry about your weight loss after your feeling better. The weight will come off you just will have to wait alittle longer---good luck to you--irish

Hang in there and get healthy again, worry about your weight loss after your feeling better. The weight will come off you just will have to wait alittle longer---good luck to you--irish

Thanks, Irish. That is VERY sweet of you.

I had my surgery back in March 2008. I lost 15 lbs right off the bat but slowly started to gain weight back. I was getting fills every six months. Well Nov. 21st I got a fill with a little extra to see how that worked for me and it has been crazy. I could barely keep Water down the first three days! I was definitely swollen. I am now able to eat some solid foods but what I find does not stick is very sketchy.

Here are the foods I seem to be able to eat:

cottage cheese

cucumbers

fish

cheese puffs & fritos

LOTS of Soup

mashed potatos

That is pretty much it! I'm frustrated and would give anything to eat a meal without the fear of throwing up. I have not thrown up in two days, which is good for me. But I barely eat. I probably eat once a day. Today I had 1/2 a coffee, about 1/2 oz of turkey, a bite of mashed potatos, and about 1/4 cup of salad. That is it. Is this normal? After 8 months I would figure it would get easier but it has gotten harder for me. I am losing weight though. I dropped a whole size in about two weeks.

Please if anyone out there can tell me this is normal, I will feel so much better. And will it be like this for the rest of my life?