Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Thanks BJ for the body bugg info. It sounds like too much energy for me to do that. But if it works for you great!

Has anyone NOT done the Adkins diet?

It usually works for me if I don't stay on it for too long. If I do try to lose a lot of weight with Adkins, after a month or so, I go berserk and eat carbohydrates non-stop for a month. Like a freak without nature.

One of my Dr's has the band and has lost 100 pounds. He eats the Atkins way and preaches it to his patients.

I think it really depends for each person on how your body reacts to carbs. You have to change your lifestyle a little at a time. I was totally addicted to carbs and started the Atkins diet several times in my life but was never able to stay on it either. The last time I went on was for my pre-surgery diet and my doctor told me one very important thing that has stuck with me.

You have to stay away from processed foods that have sugar in them because they work against you on that diet and in that lifestyle. Sugar is hidden in all processed meats and cheeses including milk, lunch meat, bacon, cheese, etc.

Once I stuck with whole foods like slices turkey breast and roast beef and cheese with no sugar, as well as, Atkins shakes and bars with vegetables I was able to stay on it without problem and lost close to 15 pounds in ten days. I think if you decide you will go that route, try to wean yourself off the carbs little by little. Start month one with cutting your carb portions in half, then the next month in half again, then you go for the 50 or less carbs per day until you are able to do it without even thinking.

Also, there are low carb versions of just about every bad thing out there so you should look for those items that are a trigger point to go carb beserk and replace those items with something better so you can have it but not throw yourself off if you have a craving.

Now, that I have the band I am not as hungry for carbs and when I do have it I tell myself that I can have it after the Protein and vegs...then I really can't eat that much of it anyway.

Good Luck!

One of my Dr's has the band and has lost 100 pounds. He eats the Atkins way and preaches it to his patients.

Had my 3rd fill today. Now up to 1.5 cc in a 4cc band. I'm really hoping this will finally give me some restriction.

Went to Dr. Stephanie in Bryan, Texas. She was fantastic, and she explained everything so well. My first 2 fills were done at Fills Center USA in Austin. Each time there, I was in and out in 5 minutes. The doctor there told me the 1st time that she thought the band was around my esophogus; and the 2nd time, she told me that the band was around my pouch, but that I had a hiatal hernia. She did not allow me to visualize the fluoroscopy; and, she refused to look at the surgeon's sugery notes or the immediate post-op fluro.

This time, Dr. Stephanie showed me that the band is where it's supposed to be and I don't have a hernia. She took time with me; and, she costs less than Fills Center.

She tells you to have nothing but warm or room temperature fluids for 1st 24 hours after a fill, followed by one day of pureed foods, then back to 3 meals a day of 20 grams of protein/meal.

I do crave carbs especially at night. If I eat them, I just crave them more. It becomes a vicious cycle. I'll have to overcome this if I'm going to be successful at permanent weight loss.

Anne

I just had my 6th fill. Had my surgery 9/07. Had some problems after the surgery .My large incision opened up 5 weeks after surgery and took about 5 weeks to heal. So I did not have my first fill until 3 months out. I go to the doctor office about every 6 weeks. Every other time I get a fill. They have a very hard time doing so because of the scar tissue. So far I have lose 83 lbs. Has this ever happen to anyone else

hello everyone....i was first banded april 2008 i now weigh 183 plus or minus, my last fill i had was 2 cc seems at first i felt pretty good. my Water i drank in the dr office seem to have gone down with some restriction felt in the dr. office before i left. well my day was pretty yuk for the rest of the day...i could not keep anything down all night long not even water. i immediately call the dr. office and went back so that he could remove some of the Fluid well they did... I felt. that i have some restriction but not enough i dont have trouble swallowing big capsules or pills.....but yet i do feel some restriction but not like before when i first started. can anyone give me some advice

Hi, The amount of cc's to give that good restiction will take many tries. Depending on how much your dr put in at a time. My dr. does .2 - .3 cc at a time. Do you know how many cc's is done? Maybe you and the dr can come to some medium about how much and how often.

I was banded on May 6, 2008 and lost 20 lbs the first month and a total of 70 lbs in 7 months...I have 3 cc's in my 10 cc band but have hit a plateau and have not lost any in 3 months...I go again on April 21st for a fill...my question...has anyone else hit this plateau and what is the how did you get over it...I am following all the rules. Also, I am told to lose 70 lbs with only 3 cc's is great..but I am thinking maybe I need more cc's in my band.

Thanks,

Nursejess

I have had to get unfilled 3 times now and it is getting really old. I had 3 ccs taken out back in January 2009 I now only have 3ccs in me and well needless to say yes I a hungry I feel no restriction at all and now I am gaing some weight back. I was too restricted the last time. What do I ahve to do to get someone to understand at the Dr.s office that I need more to help sustain me. I am so upset and down and I am afraid to put a drop of food in my mouth. I eat under 1500 calories per day if not less and before I was unfilled this was the normal for me and I was dropping pounds right and left and now I am stuck. I have not lose any real weight I go back and forth it has been 11 months since I lost any real weight. I am told my band is fine, he does the swallows and nothing is wrong the band is perfect, it is the fils that are not.

Hi everyone, sharon2u, is your doctor putting in full cc's at a time? i.e. 1cc, 2cc etc. When I get my fills my doctor put .25cc, or .50cc at a time. He wouldn't put a full cc. Yes, it can be frustating most of us are still trying to get to that right spot.

As for your eating, continue to measure your food intake and get enough Protein. In trying different eating styles I sometimes was not getting in enough protein. This caused me to have great junk food cravings and my eating was out of control. Even if you go back for seconds, measure it out. Don't forget to log everything you eat. Even to that 1 potatoe chip or one piece of candy or bite of anything.

It's going to take some time but you'll get to that sweet spot.

Hello, bandsters! Man, am I frustrated. Just went for my 4th fill. Now I have 1.9 cc in 4 cc band. I followed my doctor's instructions - liquids for 24 hours, followed by "mushy" foods for 24 hrs, then back to regular diet. Well, I feel less restriction than I did before the fill. I do not understand why. The doctor put more Fluid in (an additional .4 cc). Why in the world would I feel less restricted? Plus, in 4 months, I've only lost 22 pounds total. This past month, despite doing vigorous aerobic exercise at least 1 hour per day, I only lost 4 pounds. I am hungry!!!! Why can't I get back to the way I felt the first 4 weeks post op?

Hi Grandmax,

A few things...1) if your BMI was below 40 to start with you are not going to lose the weight as fast as those with a BMI of 48. 2) Certain solid foods DO slip easily though the band like white bread with butter or jelly, some slider pizzas do too, as does oatmeal and other cereals. Make sure the foods you do eat are not going to slip easily though the band. Try a Lean Cusine meatloaf and mash pototoes. If you can eat the entire meal without feeling the restriction your band is not tight enough. A handfull of Alamond nuts can give you restriction too. Try sliced beef or turkey rolled up in your favorite cheeze, no mayo as mayo makes everything slide though the band. 3) Always, Always have all your Fluid intake just before you eat or at least 2 hours after you eat. Remember D comes before E (drinking before eating), never the other way around.

I hope this helps

Joyce

Joyce,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

My BMI at start was actually around 35, so I guess I should remember that my weight loss will be slower. Is it ever fast enough?? I'm a part of this microwave generation, too.

I did eat some nuts at a party the other day, and they went down easily. Today, I ate a small hamburger patty and potatoes for lunch, and I was able to eat it normally. I was invited to dinner at a friend's house tonight. She served salad, bread, tortilla Soup (with rice in it, a different recipe from most). It was all delicious and went down easily. Before, I had not been able to eat rice, or bread for that matter. So, why now, after an additional .4cc was just added to my band, am I able to eat more. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The doctor did have trouble acccessing my port. Usually, she has me stand in front of the fluroscopy machine while she injects my band. this time she had to place me on an exam tale on my back. And she said my port is in an unual posiion.

I wonder if some of the Fluid might have leaked out. She had to stick me several times.

I'm scheduled to see her again in 2 weeks, so I guess I'll find out then.

Anne

Ann,

You may want to call your Doc today and tell him of your suspision of a leak. They are not uncommon. All it would take would be for him to put on a new port if it is indeed a leak.

Hi Dietfree, I got banded 9/08 and have 4cc in my band. I am small so losing is slow, I too agree that D before E is right. I started working out and found my hunger went up the roof??... strange, that was 2 mos ago, so I am going for another fill to help with the hunger pains. I still D/E but now I am still not filling up after my measured portions... I use will power, but it is getting harder so I am going for a fill. Wish me luck Thanks funnyface.